Forum > Linux

Problems with ubunutu/debian

(1/5) > >>

dfergfla:
My Ubuntu system recently did an update to the FPC on my install.  This had an immediate effect of breaking my Lazarus.  After many, many hours and frustration I wiped out my disk entirely and did a clean install of the OS then installed Lazarus clean.  I am not able to add any components to Lazarus at all. (see screenshot).  I also have a Deepin (Debian) based system and the same thing happened to it after an update to the FPC was installed.  I do not know what the exact update was, all I can see that FPC is being updated and I don't have any choice.  It is being sent out as a system update and I don't have the option to not install that one thing.  I can't stress this enough.  This is a clean OS install of Ubuntu 18.04 and the only thing installed is Lazarus and then updates.  Lazarus works fine before this FPC update and nothing can make Lazarus work right again after the update to FPC is applied.  Also, doesn't appear to be Ubuntu only as it happens on Deepin which is Debian based, but not directly from Ubuntu.

I really need a resolution as I am in the middle of something and am dead in the water

Donald

The second screenshot is shows the update that is causing the problems.  But, like I said it is a "System Update" so soon there will be others and I will have to install it, then my Lazarus will stop working.

Handoko:
I ever experienced such issue several times. I use Synaptic Package Manager to do version locking, problem solved. Read more here:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,41524.0.html

dfergfla:
You have got to be kidding me!  I have to go through all that just to get lazarus to work on Ubuntu?  I have been using Lazarus for years on Ubuntu and never had this problem.  I really think that the devs should do something. 

Handoko:

--- Quote from: dfergfla on August 29, 2018, 06:50:18 pm ---I have been using Lazarus for years on Ubuntu and never had this problem.  I really think that the devs should do something. 

--- End quote ---

:D You're lucky. I have the problem twice.

I would blame the Ubuntu team for this problem.

--- Quote from: dfergfla on August 29, 2018, 06:50:18 pm ---You have got to be kidding me!  I have to go through all that just to get lazarus to work on Ubuntu?
--- End quote ---

I think you just need to uninstall the Lazarus. And reinstall it again using the Lazarus package provided by your Ubuntu repository. That Lazarus won't start issue is caused by your system is holding broken package, which you can know it using Synaptic. As far as I know, it happens because you were using the Lazarus installer downloaded from SourceForge.

In short, this issue may happen because you use:
Lazarus from SourceForge + FPC from SourceForge

But later, Ubuntu ask/force you to upgrade your FPC, so it becomes:
Lazarus from SourceForge + FPC from Ubuntu repository

lucamar:
When installing, did you select just Lazarus and it got fpc/fpc-source as dependencies or did you select the three independently?

In the first case, Ubuntu should not auto-update unless there is also a (dependent) Lazarus update.

--- Quote from: dfergfla on August 29, 2018, 05:22:41 pm ---I really need a resolution as I am in the middle of something and am dead in the water

--- End quote ---

Handoko's advice is good. At least until you get to some drier place .. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version