Recent

Author Topic: Problems with ubunutu/debian  (Read 8256 times)

dfergfla

Problems with ubunutu/debian
« on: August 29, 2018, 05:22:41 pm »
My Ubuntu system recently did an update to the FPC on my install.  This had an immediate effect of breaking my Lazarus.  After many, many hours and frustration I wiped out my disk entirely and did a clean install of the OS then installed Lazarus clean.  I am not able to add any components to Lazarus at all. (see screenshot).  I also have a Deepin (Debian) based system and the same thing happened to it after an update to the FPC was installed.  I do not know what the exact update was, all I can see that FPC is being updated and I don't have any choice.  It is being sent out as a system update and I don't have the option to not install that one thing.  I can't stress this enough.  This is a clean OS install of Ubuntu 18.04 and the only thing installed is Lazarus and then updates.  Lazarus works fine before this FPC update and nothing can make Lazarus work right again after the update to FPC is applied.  Also, doesn't appear to be Ubuntu only as it happens on Deepin which is Debian based, but not directly from Ubuntu.

I really need a resolution as I am in the middle of something and am dead in the water

Donald

The second screenshot is shows the update that is causing the problems.  But, like I said it is a "System Update" so soon there will be others and I will have to install it, then my Lazarus will stop working.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:34:49 pm by dfergfla »

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Problems with ubunutu/debian
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 06:39:40 pm »
I ever experienced such issue several times. I use Synaptic Package Manager to do version locking, problem solved. Read more here:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,41524.0.html

dfergfla

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 06:50:18 pm »
You have got to be kidding me!  I have to go through all that just to get lazarus to work on Ubuntu?  I have been using Lazarus for years on Ubuntu and never had this problem.  I really think that the devs should do something. 

Handoko

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 06:52:54 pm »
I have been using Lazarus for years on Ubuntu and never had this problem.  I really think that the devs should do something. 

:D You're lucky. I have the problem twice.

I would blame the Ubuntu team for this problem.

You have got to be kidding me!  I have to go through all that just to get lazarus to work on Ubuntu?

I think you just need to uninstall the Lazarus. And reinstall it again using the Lazarus package provided by your Ubuntu repository. That Lazarus won't start issue is caused by your system is holding broken package, which you can know it using Synaptic. As far as I know, it happens because you were using the Lazarus installer downloaded from SourceForge.

In short, this issue may happen because you use:
Lazarus from SourceForge + FPC from SourceForge

But later, Ubuntu ask/force you to upgrade your FPC, so it becomes:
Lazarus from SourceForge + FPC from Ubuntu repository
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:05:53 pm by Handoko »

lucamar

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 06:53:34 pm »
When installing, did you select just Lazarus and it got fpc/fpc-source as dependencies or did you select the three independently?

In the first case, Ubuntu should not auto-update unless there is also a (dependent) Lazarus update.

I really need a resolution as I am in the middle of something and am dead in the water

Handoko's advice is good. At least until you get to some drier place .. ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:58:55 pm by lucamar »
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

dfergfla

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:09:13 pm »
I use each deb separately.  After that the OS finds this specific update to FPC and insists on installing it.  I can't operate like this for long as I am now not able to install any system updates without this FPC being installed with everything else and breaking Lazarus.   I tried to do the Version Locking, but I am not familiar with that tool and it didn't work for me.  The FPC updated if I wanted it to or not and then broke Lazarus again.  I restored to a backup. 

What really upsets me is that even I wipe my HD clean and use the Lazarus in the Ubuntu repo I  can't get a Lazarus that works.  Even the one in the repo is broken now.  So, in short I can't find a way to keep Lazarus working.  So, I am just going to have to stop.  I am just a hobbyist, so at least it isn't my job.  But, this is way too frustrating to deal with and it seems the devs don't really care all that much.

lucamar

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 08:05:59 pm »
I use each deb separately. [...]

Then I can only recomend my own way of using those DEBs to install through a local "repo", because when you install manually each DEB Ubuntu thinks it's perfectly alright to update them from official sources *unless* you lock the packages' version.

Incidentally, I wonder: what happens if you try to rebuild Lazarus (through lazbuild) after the FPC update?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:10:46 pm by lucamar »

Handoko

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 08:08:48 pm »
@dfergfla

I can understand how frustrating it is. It took my whole day to understand and repair it. >:(

Do you have Synaptic Package Manager installed on the pc? It is a handy tool to fix broken packages and dependency issues. I'm not good in using Linux Terminal, so I use Synaptic.

To fix your issue is not hard, if you know how.

01. Start your Synaptic Package Manager
02. On the left panel, click Status > Broken
03. On the right panel choose that item
04. Right click on that item and choose mark for removal
05. Click the Apply button

You need to do a reboot after removing the broken package. If I remember correctly, without doing so my system thought it was still holding the broken package (but I already removed it). I almost gave up because I can't install Lazarus. I shut down my computer and took a break. But when I came back, I can install the Lazarus again easily. That makes me think a computer reboot may be needed when messing the installation packages.

After you remove the broken package, try to reinstall your Lazarus using the packages provided by Ubuntu repository. It should work now. But if you want to use the installer (deb packages) from SourceForge, you have to remove the FPC and FPC-source currently installed on your Ubuntu first. You may need to disconnect the internet connection when installing the deb files or you probably will fail. And don't forget to do a version locking. Or you can use @lucamar trick to install them, which is much simpler than mine.

Doing version locking is easy using Synaptic:
01. Press Ctrl+F, type "FPC" [Enter]
02. Select fpc and fpc-src
03. Menu > Package > Lock Version

But, this is way too frustrating to deal with and it seems the devs don't really care all that much.

I've been visiting this forum regularly since many years ago. Rarely or maybe no one ever reported it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:23:34 pm by Handoko »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 09:03:54 pm »
Rule 1: avoid .debs  8-)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 09:04:26 pm »
But, this is way too frustrating to deal with and it seems the devs don't really care all that much.
I've been visiting this forum regularly since many years ago. Rarely or maybe no one ever reported it.
What do you mean? People are reporting problems with installing Lazarus to Ubuntu and related distros almost weekly.
dfergfla however barks up a wrong tree now. The complaints should go to devs of the problematic Linux distros, not to devs of Lazarus.

As I have written earlier, use Manjaro and the installation problems go away.
Rolling distributions are a clear step forward in the evolution. Manjaro is now the number one in the popularity list of DistroWatch, by a wide margin and for a reason.
I don't understand why dfergfla and others want to bang their heads with Ubuntu again and again after all those problems they face.
dfergfla, you even reinstalled the whole OS again! If you are ready to do that, why don't you install a better distro at the same go?

And yes, I agree with Marco's Rule 1: avoid .debs  8-)
If you must use Debian, Ubuntu or some of their derivatives, then install FPC using their simple install script which works always in any distro.
Then get Lazarus sources from Subversion and compile with "make".
Super easy and no hassle.

I am now seriously suggesting that we drop support for installing FPC/Lazarus on those problematic distros. I guess it means all distros related to Debian and Ubuntu.
There would be a sticky forum post telling to either use a better distro or then install by the script + compiling from SVN sources.
If somebody still wants to struggle with .deps, it is perfectly OK but he is on his own. He can go ask support from Ubuntu etc. sites but not from here.
The current situation is just silly. It does not benefit anybody. It only adds frustration and sucks energy. And for some reason Lazarus developers get the blame. WTF!
Now everybody who gives support for installing .dep packages, practically encourages using those poor distros making the situation worse.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:28:23 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Handoko

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 09:25:00 pm »
What do you mean? People are reporting problems with installing Lazarus to Ubuntu and related distros almost weekly.

I meant I never heard someone said Lazarus stop working after upgrading his/her Ubuntu. Not about installing the Lazarus.

And yes, I agree with Marco's Rule 1: avoid .debs  8-)

It could be a good advice. :D
But it is not a solution for the problem "why my Lazarus stop working after upgrading Ubuntu" or "why I cannot instal Lazarus on Ubuntu".

I'm not a fan of Ubuntu. I found many issues of using Ubuntu. :-X
But because I know how to fix them easily and so far it is working good, I rather choose to spare my time for doing something else I like instead of learning or testing new distros.

lucamar

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 09:50:03 pm »
I am now seriously suggesting that we drop support for installing FPC/Lazarus on those problematic distros. I guess it means all distros related to Debian and Ubuntu.
There would be a sticky forum post telling to either use a better distro or then install by the script + compiling from SVN sources.

You know, it reminds me of Kylix: "Kylix works with such version of RedHat or such version of SuSE. Full stop."

With the results that we all know.

I know that the situation must be frustrating for Lazarus developers  but think: there's much more people who never have a problem (or have just minor problems) than people with problems like this. And it happens also with the Windows release ... and let's not talk about MacOS, etc. Would you suggest to everyone to default to svn and make:o ;D

[As for which Linux distribution is better ... please, let's avoid religious argument :D ]

dfergfla

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 09:56:40 pm »
This is a recent development.  It has always worked for me fine, for years and years.  It works fine when I install it from .deb... until the OS detects an install of FPC and insists on updating it.  Then all hell breaks loose.  I have finished my project.  I won't use Lazarus until this is resolved.  If the devs wish to stop providing complied binaries for .dep, therefore ignoring the most wide spread distros in the world, then that is on them.  I think that would be insane.  I am sure not going to change distros just for Lazarus.

dfergfla

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 09:59:29 pm »
I use each deb separately. [...]

Then I can only recomend my own way of using those DEBs to install through a local "repo", because when you install manually each DEB Ubuntu thinks it's perfectly alright to update them from official sources *unless* you lock the packages' version.

Incidentally, I wonder: what happens if you try to rebuild Lazarus (through lazbuild) after the FPC update?

I can't build Lazarus after the FPC update, see screenshot 1

I don't have any problems when I first install from deb files.  It isn't till the OS detects the FPC and decides it needs to update it.  Then it breaks.

Handoko

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 10:36:44 pm »
It works fine when I install it from .deb... until the OS detects an install of FPC and insists on updating it.  Then all hell breaks loose. ...  I won't use Lazarus until this is resolved.

Don't be pessimistic. I've been using my installation trick and version locking to make Lazarus to live in harmony with Ubuntu in my computer for years. So far it never fails.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018