Recent

Author Topic: remapping keys to old Borland IDE mappings  (Read 7201 times)

Bitbeisser

remapping keys to old Borland IDE mappings
« on: August 19, 2018, 12:52:48 am »
Programming for 42 years and using Borland IDEs for about 30 of those, my fingers "think" in the old Borland IDE key mappings. It's simple muscle memory.

That has been a source of deep frustration when using Lazarus. The "default" key mappings are quite illogical when you have been used to different mappings for so long. However, the "classic" (which I perceived as fitting Borland) mappings aren't much better. One key command that I use(d) quite frequently, specially after a global search&replace is the good old "Ctrl-Q P" (move cursor to last position).
In the "default" mappings, it works with Ctrl-H (which is quite counter-intuitive if you remember that this is/used to be a backspace) but there is no key mapped to that command in the "classic" scheme. And there is no such entry in the Editor options to map that key myself!?!  :(

So how can this command be remapped to Ctrl-Q-P, as clearly there has to be a command, as it is performed in the "default" mappings to Ctrl-H...

thanks,

Ralf

PS: Using the "stock" Lazarus 1.8.4 release

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: remapping keys to old Borland IDE mappings
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 01:30:55 am »
Under Tools > Options > Editor > Key Mappings

search for "Jump Back" (it is under "Text search and replace commands"

Then double click it, and assign your keys.

Bitbeisser

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 01:41:39 am »
Under Tools > Options > Editor > Key Mappings

search for "Jump Back" (it is under "Text search and replace commands"

Then double click it, and assign your keys.
I would have expected this under "Cursor Moving commands". And "Jump back", in connection with the similar command "Jump forward", I am not sure that this is the same command. I will try it out later though, thanks...

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 01:49:12 am »
Yes well "cursor movement" vs "text search". And the names are not the best either.
I found it by searching for the already assigned key. (there is a search in the upper right corner).

Jump forward:
Whenever the IDE moves the caret (go to declaration, search, ...) it adds a "history point"

Jump backward travels back on them. Jump forward is to jump back, like redo to undo.

If you use the editor toolbar, you can have 2 buttons for this (they should be there by default)
You can also use the 4th and 5th mouse button (if you have) like in web browsers).

And in the "View" menu, you find jump history, which shows a list of all the points.

Bitbeisser

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 08:13:16 am »
Yes well "cursor movement" vs "text search". And the names are not the best either.
I found it by searching for the already assigned key. (there is a search in the upper right corner).

Jump forward:
Whenever the IDE moves the caret (go to declaration, search, ...) it adds a "history point"
Yes, that parts works a bit different than it used to in the Borland Editors, but at least I was able to map this Jump back to Crtl-Q P as my fingers are programmed to and it works at least with much less frustration then before. There seem to be some quirks still but I need to play a bit more with that without concentrating on what I am actually trying to do to define that a bit better...

in any case, thanks so far,

Ralf

TinyPortal © 2005-2018