Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Lazarus IDE: last used projects list via taskbar contextmenu (Windows)  (Read 3781 times)

Hartmut

Don't know whether this is a Windows-problem or a Lazarus IDE problem.

I have 4 Lazarus installations on Windows 7 (32 bit): 1.4.4, 1.6.2, 1.8.0 and 1.8.4. While a Lazarus IDE ist started, it gets an entry in the Windows taskbar (at the bottom of the screen). When I click right mouse on that entry, I get a contextmenu (see attached screenshots):
 - IDE 1.8.0 always shows my last used projects and I can pick one of them to load it. Very comfortable (because the taskbar entry is never hidden by a couple of windows).
 - IDE 1.6.2 formerly was the same. But now this function is dead there. This list is no more updated.
 - IDE 1.8.4 shows only projects, which habe been newly created in 1.8.4. All other projects are not shown there.
 - IDE 1.4.4 does not have this list at all.

Strange thing. I searched for an IDE setting about this, but did not find something. I find this function very comfortable and would like to have it on all my IDEs.
Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know that in IDE there is Menu "Project / Open recent project" which I use as a workaround.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 07:34:18 am by Hartmut »

ASerge

Don't know whether this is a Windows-problem or a Lazarus IDE problem.
I think it's no problem. Read this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/shell/taskbar-extensions#jump-lists.
This is an adaptation of how you use the apps.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
AFAIK there are no changes between 1.8.0 and 1.8.4 that intend to remove the list.
Could you please bisect using SVN and find the revision that causes it.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Hartmut

I think it's no problem. Read this ... This is an adaptation of how you use the apps.
For me it is a (small) problem. I read your link about jump lists, but I did not understand, what you want me to say. How can I enable this function for all of my Lazarus IDE's (e.g. something in the Windows registry or another Windows setting or a Lazarus IDE setting)?

Hartmut

AFAIK there are no changes between 1.8.0 and 1.8.4 that intend to remove the list.
The list is not removed in 1.8.4, but reduced to projects, which habe been newly created in 1.8.4. All other projects, which habe been loaded into IDE 1.8.4 are not shown there.

Could you please bisect using SVN and find the revision that causes it.
You're asking a lot of work. I will try do it but need some help:
 - how can I get a specific lazarus revision by SVN? (I'm a bloody beginner to SVN)
 - must I download always the whole lazarus sources? (my internet speed is very slow)

ASerge

I read your link about jump lists, but I did not understand, what you want me to say.
For example
These portions of the destination list are analogous to the Start menu's recently used documents list (no longer shown by default) and frequently used application list, but they are specific to an application and therefore more accurate and useful to the user. The results used in the destination list are calculated through calls to SHAddToRecentDocs. Note that when the user opens a file from Windows Explorer or uses the common file dialog to open, save, or create a file, SHAddToRecentDocs is called for you automatically, which results in many applications getting their recent items shown in the destination list without any action on their part.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
I don't know the answer, but I get the same effect (even with equal versions of lazarus / so it not something changed in lazarus)

To me it seems, that it is the instance of lazarus that is registered to handle the file type.  I.e., the lazarus that will be opened if I double click one of the files.

Hartmut

To me it seems, that it is the instance of lazarus that is registered to handle the file type.  I.e., the lazarus that will be opened if I double click one of the files.
This was a very good idea. My lpi-files had been registered to IDE 1.8.0. where the jump list worked. Switching this registration to 1.8.4 and later to 1.6.2 moved the working jump list correspondingly.

Seems that such a jump list in Windows is correlated to the one-and-only application, where the file extension is registered to. This would mean, that only 1 Lazarus IDE can have a working jump list.

Thanks a lot for helping me.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
You're asking a lot of work. I will try do it but need some help:
 - how can I get a specific lazarus revision by SVN? (I'm a bloody beginner to SVN)
 - must I download always the whole lazarus sources? (my internet speed is very slow)
I understand the problem got solved and bisecting is not needed now.
For future needs it is briefly documented here:
 http://wiki.freepascal.org/How_do_I_create_a_bug_report#Regression_caused_by_a_certain_revision
It works best with Git because of its local commit history. Git works OK on Windows, too, although it requires Unix emulator libs.
With SVN the process may generate lots of network traffic. I don't recommend it with slow internet connections.
Note, bisecting is the same algorithm as binary search. You can calculate the offsets for revision jumps also manually but it is a very error prone process especially after a long debugging session which has used all available brain capacity. One error makes the result unusable.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018