Recent

Author Topic: No 32-bit apps on macOS after Mojave  (Read 9090 times)

Phil

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: No 32-bit apps on macOS after Mojave
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 06:49:14 pm »
No, an encouragement to drop 32 bit on platforms like macos, android and windows:
- There are working versions for these platforms, so you can freeze them (I still use TP....which has been frozen for decades..and isn't even 32 bit..but 16...)
- They are not mainstream anymore, so focus should be on 64 bit for Windows, intel-based Unices and macos, probably Android too.

ALL of these, Android (Google), macos(Apple) and Windows (Microsoft, yes 32 bit will be dropped/ is already dropped in most countries for distribution), gave ample warning they would drop support for 32 bit on intel (not ARM, yet except iOS and Android, well AARCH64).
That's a GOOD thing and saves on development efforts for daily users. Hobbyists are free to maintain a platform, btw, like FPC's DOS i8086/88 proved. Or Dosbox, or....

On the Windows platform I have been running 64 bit Lazarus for years. There is just no official binary distribution for it because of cave men.
So make these an archaeological find...and start with a default 64 bit distribution for intel platforms.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:07:11 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 07:28:45 pm »
No, an encouragement to drop 32 bit on platforms like macos, android and windows:

Or just blunt marketing without any regard for the users.

Basically destroying users investments to sponge off their 30% on upgrades, using security updates as a stick.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 07:40:45 pm »
On the Windows platform I have been running 64 bit Lazarus for years. There is just no official binary distribution for it because of cave men.
So make these an archaeological find...and start with a default 64 bit distribution for intel platforms.

Well, on Windows there is *now* a 64 bit download, but you're right. That download must be the default, and not the 32 bit one.

Phil

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:01:16 pm »
Basically destroying users investments to sponge off their 30% on upgrades, using security updates as a stick.

Upgrades to iOS and macOS are free, as are upgrades to apps on Apple's stores.

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:27:13 pm »

Yes, but not necessarily upgrades for all commercial applications...
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

Phil

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 10:29:39 pm »

I assume you mean apps distributed outside of an Apple app store. If so, Apple doesn't take any cut from those, which is what the comment was about, right?

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 03:02:00 am »
Thaddy can I get you to clarify what you mean there please ? Are you suggesting that this contains a 32bit Lazarus binary ?

ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/lazarus/releases/Lazarus%20Windows%2064%20bits/Lazarus%201.8.4/lazarus-1.8.4-fpc-3.0.4-win64.exe

Or are you suggesting that I am actually making 32bit apps with it (thinking all along I am making 64bit ones) ?

Neither sounds right to me. But not being a Windows user, I am unsure how I would tell the difference if I cannot trust the compile settings I make. No 'file' command, what a strange operating system.....

I guess it could be argued it does not matter if you are distributing 32bit or 64bit apps as long as the OS (and the OS maker) is happy with either. Or you need allocate large lumps of memory (I don't).

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Josh

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:27:21 am »
Quick way check
On 64bit Windows use task manager to locate your running application if it has (32 bit) after its name then its 32bit, if it does not then its 64bit.
You can also configure TaskManager to show this in a better way, Launch TaskManager, click the Details Tab, then Right click one of the headings and choose select column; locate the option Show Platform. You will now get a column showing 32/64.

The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 07:43:06 am »
Thaddy can I get you to clarify what you mean there please ?
I was talking about the official FPC distribution.
That still needs afaik initially a 32 bit compiler, 32 bit ppcrossx64 => to build a 64 bit ppcx64 yourself.
See:
Windows: https://www.freepascal.org/down/x86_64/win64-netherlands.var
MacOs: https://www.freepascal.org/down/i386/macosx-netherlands.var
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:46:33 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

Gilles

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 10:25:58 am »
It is the old temptation of the all new teams: that of the new exercise book … and table shaves of the past.

(not sure that the translation is correct… another one : "We erase everything and we begin again")
(en français : "faire table rase du passé" ou "on efface tout et on recommence")
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:08:50 am by Gilles »
TurboPascal -> ThinkPascal -> CodeWarrior -> XCode with FPC -> (Well-deserved) Retirement (but not yet, not yet…)

howardpc

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 11:23:30 am »
It is the old temptation of the all new teams: that of the new exercise book … and table shaves of the past.
An English idiom is "to wipe the slate clean" which persists from the time when schoolchildren wrote in chalk on slate, rather than in pencil or pen on (expensive) paper.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 12:30:24 pm »

(not sure that the translation is correct… another one : "We erase everything and we begin again")

Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 10:52:19 pm »

But 32-bit applications run just fine on Windows x64.  I've been running 64-bit Windows exclusively since 2005 -- without issue (starting with XP x64, even when you had to hunt a little for drivers)

Certainly, there are a few apps that will *require* 32-bit drivers, but they tend to have other issues as well.
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

MISV

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 01:28:54 pm »
Still praying for Cocoa becoming usable. Right now Lazarus Cocoa IDE breaks down with arithmetic error (for me at least) - but the moment it works - it will be great. Still crossing fingers Cocoa will be ready in time

TinyPortal © 2005-2018