Author Topic: [SOLVED] Is it possible to use parameters with ExecuteDirect?  (Read 304 times)

Landslyde

I have a lot of text fields on a form. One of them is txt_Recipe_Name. I can't find documentation through the Forum Search or anywhere else on how to use parameters with ExecuteDirect. I can use them with SQLQuery but not with ExecuteDirect. Is it possible to use parameters with ExecuteDirect? Or is there another way to accomplish an Insert on a table and be able to write my form data to the table fields?

This is what I have that I can't figure out how to make work:
Code: Pascal  [Select]
  1. SQLite3Connection1.ExecuteDirect('INSERT INTO recipe_names(name) VALUES(:r_name);');
How can I set :r_name to a text field (TEdit field) on my form?

For a SELECT statement, this works nicely:
Code: Pascal  [Select]
  1. SQLQuery2.SQL.Text:='SELECT * FROM recipe_ingredients WHERE name_id = :id';
  2. SQLQuery2.ParamByName('id').AsInteger:=SQLQuery1.FieldByName('name_id').AsInteger;

I use Prepared statements in PHP for all my MariaDB queries. But I can't find information on how to use them on databases within Lazarus. A wiki maybe?  :)

In any case, my main concern is being able to use data on my form to INSERT INTO an SQLite3 db. Anyone?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:56:37 am by Landslyde »
Linux Mint 18.3
Lazarus 1.8.4
FPC 3.0.4

Landslyde

Re: Is it possible to use parameters with ExecuteDirect?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 07:56:13 am »
Thank you, Juassic Park. All I've seen used on CREATE, INSERT, and UPDATE was ExecuteDirect. Your answer showed me different. Thanks.
Linux Mint 18.3
Lazarus 1.8.4
FPC 3.0.4

mangakissa

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to use parameters with ExecuteDirect?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 09:13:03 am »
which answer?
Lazarus 1.64 (32b) / FPC 3.0
Windows 10

Landslyde

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:49:11 am »
In the link @answer here and in my above post.
Linux Mint 18.3
Lazarus 1.8.4
FPC 3.0.4

kapibara

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:59:19 am »
Lazarus trunk / fpc 3.0.4 / Debian Stretch 64-bit

Landslyde

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:15:12 pm »
ExecuteDirect does not offer support for parameters, so only statements that do not need parsing and parameters substitution can be handled. If parameter substitution is required, use a TSQLQuery component and its ExecSQL method.

Thanks, kapibara.
Linux Mint 18.3
Lazarus 1.8.4
FPC 3.0.4

Recent

Get Lazarus at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Open Hub project report for Lazarus