Forum > macOS / Mac OS X

fp ide missing in homebrew install

(1/2) > >>

TrickyDicky:
Hi all, brand new user.

I installed fpc from homebrew, the compiler works fine with the examples. But I can't find the IDE, 'fp'.

I tried building the source from fpc-3.0.4.source.tar.gz (grep'ing for 'fp' is pretty difficult).

Is there an extra step or directory I should be adding to PATH?

Jonas Maebe:
The textmode IDE is not tested on macOS and hence not supported. That said, it should work equally well as on other platforms.

It is located in the "ide" subdirectory of the source distribution. Using "make all IDE=1" using the top-level Makefile will build the IDE. Afterwards, you can go in the "ide" subdirectory and should be able use something like "make install INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/homebrew/" to install it.

Phil:

--- Quote from: TrickyDicky on May 27, 2018, 08:36:20 pm ---I installed fpc from homebrew, the compiler works fine with the examples. But I can't find the IDE, 'fp'.

--- End quote ---

I've never heard of anyone using that ancient thing on Mac. Maybe it doesn't work at all?

Perhaps it's time that you graduate to the Lazarus IDE. You'll get a lot more help with that here than with fp.

TrickyDicky:

--- Quote from: Jonas Maebe on May 27, 2018, 08:46:42 pm ---The textmode IDE is not tested on macOS and hence not supported. That said, it should work equally well as on other platforms.

It is located in the "ide" subdirectory of the source distribution. Using "make all IDE=1" using the top-level Makefile will build the IDE. Afterwards, you can go in the "ide" subdirectory and should be able use something like "make install INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/homebrew/" to install it.

--- End quote ---

Ah! I also found a wiki entry too. The IDE=1 flag is perfect. Thank you so much.

TrickyDicky:

--- Quote from: Phil on May 27, 2018, 08:46:51 pm ---I've never heard of anyone using that ancient thing on Mac. Maybe it doesn't work at all?

--- End quote ---
I am currently trying to find out. Should be fun!

--- Quote from: Phil on May 27, 2018, 08:46:51 pm ---Perhaps it's time that you graduate to the Lazarus IDE. You'll get a lot more help with that here than with fp.

--- End quote ---
Maybe one day. The day job is Python and Java  :'( I am starting with console games like text adventures. I last used Pascal in college a few decades ago, so fp is cozy on Windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version