Recent

Author Topic: Please fix this  (Read 7148 times)

guest48180

Re: Please fix this
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 09:50:40 pm »
Thanks, Thaddy.

Btw, this is a new install of Manjaro. Newest version.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 02:45:38 pm »
People have so many installation problems with Ubuntu and Mint. :(
What should we do?

Sigh ...
Fact is, it should be very easy. Given we have perfect (?) .debs made available with every release. The wiki is, perhaps, part of the problem. It does really provide far too much information. Hate to say that...

There are two main pages that talk about general installs, one is nominally focused on installing from source, the other from binaries. However, over time, as is the case with all wikis, that distinction has blurred badly.  I took a big stick to the Mac install page a few months ago, my model was to try and get what a new users needs, at the top of the page and clearly mark whats below it as legacy / niche / probably not what you want.

My view is same needs to happen to general install. Restore the demarcation between approaches, make it plain to a new reader that the distinction exists. There are, perhaps 4 or 5 ways to install, a one or two sentence description of each about why a user would want one or another.

I have a whole lot of VMs setup at present for some other testing I've been doing, I'll experiment on them and draft something up. But someone will need to update/whatever the Windows section and even the non-debian linux perhaps. And I have not used the on line install/update services either.

I think a platform based split might be a better approach too, we already gave a Mac install page, there is so little in common about how to install on Windows and Linux that, again, its confusing for new users.

It does not take very much to scare a new user into thinking its all too hard or that our documentation is a mess. And a scared user wanders away....

Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

guest48180

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 07:14:44 pm »
Hey dbannon.

You may be right about the wikis needing clarity, but my issue didn't have anything to do with them. Mine was lingering files left from another version. Even though I used
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. sudo apt-get remove --purge
on the FPC files and Lazarus, something was still being left. And when I installed FPC 3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.4, they were corrupted. I ended up reinstalling Mint, then following your advice on the first page of this post. So far, so good. But I'm not holding my breath. Maybe one day Mint will update their repository and give us recent software versions and stop keeping it like a museum. Thanks for your help.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 07:59:08 pm »
Afaik this is normal. Modified files by the user are always left behind.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 08:10:48 pm »
Afaik this is normal. Modified files by the user are always left behind.
Well, yes. But it is also the responsibility of the package managers of Mint or Debian or whatever to remove obvious cfg files. (e.g. /etc/fpc.cfg and hidden, note the dot,  .lazarus directory in /home/<user>  or /usr/share)
This is not a FPC or Lazarus defect, but is an annoyance that can be solved by writing better instructions for Linux distro package builders.
Specialize a type, not a var.

dbannon

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 10:47:05 pm »
Says the apt man page -

Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually small (modified) user
           configuration files behind, in case the remove was an accident. Just issuing an
           installation request for the accidentally removed package will restore its function as
           before in that case. On the other hand you can get rid of these leftovers by calling purge
           even on already removed packages. Note that this does not affect any data or configuration
           stored in your home directory.

What I don't know is just where that action os driven from, --purge 'should' remove ie the config file directories. However, is that implemented by apt itself or does apt call one of the many potentially present scripts in a a deb package ?  More research is indicated.
Davo
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

dbannon

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 09:10:29 am »
As a correction to my own comment above. Its possible Landslyde problem was in his home directory.

apt <anything> will not remove files from a users home directory.   So, Landslyde, do you know where these corrupted files were ?  Likely choices include -

~/.lazurus/*
/etc/fpc.cfg
/etc/lazarus/environmentoptions.xml

As I understand it, --purge will remove the latter two but definitely not the first. Someone in your position would need to manually remove the default, per user config directory. On the other hand, its very easy to override that default per user config, with ---pcp as a test ....

Davo

guest48180

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 09:22:42 am »
Hopefully I won't have to mess with it again. At least no time soon. But I've read all the words here in this post and have a LOT better idea how to handle this if it ever happens again. it'd be easier to remove the config files un
  1. ~/.lazarus
than wipe out my drive. I hate doing that with all my heart  :(

Thaddy

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 09:45:59 am »
Hopefully I won't have to mess with it again. At least no time soon. But I've read all the words here in this post and have a LOT better idea how to handle this if it ever happens again. it'd be easier to remove the config files un
  1. ~/.lazarus
than wipe out my drive. I hate doing that with all my heart  :(
That will not wipe out your drive.
Code: Bash  [Select][+][-]
  1. sudo rm -rf ~/.lazarus
will simply remove that hidden directory from the user folder.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:48:18 am by Thaddy »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 11:23:31 am »
(not many people install fpc (or any packages actually ) locally, but if you do, there can be a ~/fpc.cfg too)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 10:14:01 am »
With respect to the ~/.lazarus directory (actually some of its subfolders only), there are now some changes in trunk (1.9) that aim to reduce those issues.

Thaddy

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 10:35:58 am »
Thanks Martin. Will test.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 10:41:48 am »
It should kick in when your Lazarus version changes.
E.g. when you start Lazarus 1.8.4 but your config still belongs to 1.8.2 (or earlier). As usually you are asked if you want to upgrade. If you do, then the cache of old ppu files (which can cause those issues) is removed.

guest48180

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 03:47:00 pm »
It should kick in when your Lazarus version changes.
E.g. when you start Lazarus 1.8.4 but your config still belongs to 1.8.2 (or earlier). As usually you are asked if you want to upgrade. If you do, then the cache of old ppu files (which can cause those issues) is removed.

Nice!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018