Recent

Author Topic: External hard, Recent, compiled packages removed  (Read 1637 times)

Zaher

• parmaja.org
External hard, Recent, compiled packages removed
« on: May 21, 2018, 03:29:27 pm »
My projects and packages is on external hard disk, i need to mount it before open Lazarus,
If i opened Lazarus before mounting it, Lazarus will remove this packages cuz as not exists,
That makes some pain to me when I want to use Lazarus without mounting my external hard.

Is there any option to prevent it from removing it?

wp

Re: External hard, Recent, compiled packages removed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 03:59:45 pm »
Install Lazarus on external disk, then it can't be started without the external disk mounted. You could try a seondary installation first to test whether the slower external disk has an impact on usability; a secondary installation leave the main (primary) installation untouched.

Or copy packages to normal hard disk and install them from there. User projects can remain on external disk.

Zaher

• parmaja.org
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 04:07:57 pm »
I tried it before, my problem I work too on this packages so i need to carry it with me, also a Copy the whole Lazarus to external harddisk  will make I have 2 copy of it, and make some conflicts (I added it to my path), and yes external hardisk is slow for it.

wp

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 04:45:33 pm »
A long time ago I used an USB drive too to exchange sources between several computers. The main installation was on the hard drives, and the external drive was just a transport medium. I had a file sync program which I called whenever I entered and left a development computer to keep the sources in the USB drive in sync.

Today the ideal "transport medium" is a version control system like svn or git. Get yourself a free account at sourceforge or github if your own projects/packages will be open source, or at gitLab if they are private. Certainly there are also other hosters which offer free accounts. This means that you keep the sources on that server to which you "commit" after each important step and particularly at the end of the day, and from which you "update" at the beginning of each day. And as a "side-effect" (well, this is the main use of them) you can always return to older committed versions once you experience that your development entered a dead end street.

[EDIT]
I see your signature now - you already have a github account. Why don't you use it?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:38:20 pm by wp »

Zaher

• parmaja.org
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 10:09:04 pm »
For real job i have my own svn server too, but still got pain when i clicked Lazarus icon without
losing my recent project and lost package, And immediately I end process of Lazarus to stop it, Today my wife opened it and lost it all.

BTW I add batch to return it back

Code: [Select]
lazbuild .\mypacge.lpk
lazbuild --add-package .\guipackage1.lpk --add-package .\guipackage2.lpk
lazbuild --build-ide=

TinyPortal © 2005-2018