Recent

Author Topic: Error Installing Component on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS  (Read 5288 times)

nullpointer

• impossible is nothing
    • tauhidslab
Error Installing Component on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
« on: May 17, 2018, 01:01:19 pm »
hello,
i am a new user of lazarus. i tried to installing lazarus on linux ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
the installation process is running normally and there is no problem (using apt-get).
and also i can run lazarus normally.

the problem is when i install a fpweb/weblaz package (component).
i always got an error during the linking process.
here is the error picture i mean.

Laurie

Re: Error Installing Component on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:20:17 am »
Hello nullpointer,

I don't have a solution but I have confirmed the problem.  Just rebuilding Lazarus fails with the same error.
This is what I did to confirm the error.

1. I did a clean install of Ubuntu from bare metal by booting from the 18.04 CD. (Toshiba Tecra A9)
2. Downloaded Lazarus_1.8.2+dfsg-3_all.deb and installed it. No problems.
4. Started Lazarus...no problems.
5. Immediately rebuilt the Lazarus IDE, it dies with the following error:

lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Cannot find lazcontroldsgn used by Lazarus. Check if package LazControlDsgn creates lazcontroldsgn.ppu, check nothing deletes this file and check that no two packages have access to the unit source.."

Are the developers aware of this? Do we need to report this somewhere else? Any advice from any readers would be helpful.
Laurie

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:53:53 pm »
i am a new user of lazarus. i tried to installing lazarus on linux ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
the installation process is running normally and there is no problem (using apt-get).
and also i can run lazarus normally.

the problem is when i install a fpweb/weblaz package (component).
i always got an error during the linking process.
here is the error picture i mean.
The problem is with packages provided by Ubuntu. The .deb packages provided by Lazarus project work better although not in every distro version because library versions differ.
Just install the package LazControlDsgn from Lazarus sources and it should work.
Remember to start Lazarus with "startlazarus" so the newly built binary will be used.

I can also recommend loading Lazarus fixes branch from SVN.
 http://wiki.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Fixes_branch_of_latest_Lazarus_release
It is very easy once FPC is installed in your system.
As an extra bonus you get latest bug-fixes always with "svn up".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:11:04 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Chronos

• PascalClassLibrary
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 04:43:49 pm »
That annoying problem was also present in Ubuntu 17.10.

Workaround is like this:
- try to install some new package and rebuild Lazarus. You will get error with LazControlDsgn.
- open this package /usr/lib/lazarus/1.8.2/components/lazcontrols/design/lazcontroldsgn.lpk by menu Package - Open package file (.lpk) and click to rebuild
- now try to install your selected package again and rebuild lazarus. It should work once. But next time after Lazarus restart you need to do some steps. To fix it permanently, compiled ppu would need to be compiled as root to correct directory.

Laurie

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 03:01:33 pm »
FINALLY..I now seem to have a solution for this irritating problem.
I hope this helps those still unable to add packages. This is my solution.....
1 Open a terminal with CTRL-ALT T
2. In the terminal start Lazarus with "sudo startlazarus"
3. From the top line menu select Package | Open loaded package
4. Scroll down the list of packages and open LazControlDsgn package
5. When the package window opens, Click on " Compile" on the top line if the window
6. Then click "Use" (next to compile)  and select install. (This is very important to do)
7. From the "Tools" menu on the top line menu, select "Build Lazarus with Profile: Normal IDE"
And that should do it !! :D

Lazarus should then build and find the LazcontrolDsgn compiled package. Once the IDE is built, shut down Lazarus and the terminal and re-start Lazarus normally.
Now you should be able to add other packages and rebuild the IDE like previously.  The only problem that I've noted is that Lazarus does not re-start automatically after the rebuild.
You don't have to use "sudo" to start Lazarus again. I suspect that the original problem might have been a permissions issue in lazarus not finding the compiled LazControlDsgn compiled unit, so (possibly ?) using "sudo startlazarus" the first time allowed the compiled unit/package to be saved in a protected directory? Only a guess.
Now...how to allow Lazarus to re-start automatically after rebuilding the IDE ???  :-\
HTH.

nullpointer

• impossible is nothing
    • tauhidslab
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 04:04:42 am »
Solved.
Thanks for the solution.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018