Forum > General

Leaving for Oxygene

(1/10) > >>

tverweij:
The last months, after I decided to leave VB, I have tested several languages.
First was the choice of what language - and because of my previous (nineties) experience with Delphi, the choice became Object Pascal.

The first I tested was Delphi.
This one did not pass because the EDI felt like it didn't enter the new millennium yet.

The second was FPC.
This one did not pass because the IDE was still not out of the eighties (text based).

The third was OmniPascal with FPC.
Nice, but again the IDE... Visual studio code doesn't feel nice to work in on a daily basis.

The fourth was Lazarus wit FPC.
It felt good. Nice IDE, works fast - good to be working with.
But no support at all (if you want something, you have to do it yourself).

And now I tested Oxygen.
Superior IDE (Choice between Visual Studio for inter-language projects where I can reuse my VB DLL's and Water - there own IDE)
Simple to build Android, IOS, Windows, Mac and Linux applications.
Really good support (I filed a bug and it was solved the same day, I filed a wish and it is available in the next version)

So the choice has been made.
Lazarus is a good product, but the support sucks, and therefor I am leaving for Remobjects Oxigen.

[edit]
I was looking for a strict language, case insensitive and without the {} (I really hate them). - This  lead to Object Pascal.
And it should have the possibility to build for Windows, Ios and Android. - All tested environments can do this.
And if possible - able to use my VB.Net dll's; I have 10 year+ reusable code. - Oxygen was the only one that can do this (of the above).
[end edit]

wp:

--- Quote from: tverweij on May 17, 2018, 10:16:13 am ---The fourth was Lazarus wit FPC.[...] But no support at all

--- End quote ---
A slap in the face of all the devs and of everybody who answers questions here in the forum and mailing list. In fact I have never seen any commercial product which gave better support, most of my bugs reported were fixed within several days, sometimes even within minutes.

--- Quote from: tverweij on May 17, 2018, 10:16:13 am ---(if you want something, you have to do it yourself).

--- End quote ---
With commercial products you cannot even do it yourself.

tr_escape:
Ok.

Take care of yourself and your projects.

But I just wondering how many times will you get free support from any company?

tverweij:

--- Quote ---With commercial products you cannot even do it yourself.
--- End quote ---
And with a free product I can not even pay to get it done.

--- Quote ---But I just wondering how many times will you get free support from any company?
--- End quote ---
As you can see from the list (starting with Delphi), I was never looking for a free product or free support - I was looking for the best combination of IDE and support.
I am a commercial programmer (meaning I live from it), so support is one of the most important things, and it doesn't have to be free.

Maybe the best things in life are free, but it seems that the best things in professional life aren't.

JernejL:
I don't really see much point in this thread you have made or what could possibly be its purpose, but in any case.. goodbye, have fun, we'll be here and making lazarus better :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version