Forum > Windows

Mimic a TSR in WinExec call???

(1/2) > >>

ozznixon:
All,

I do not know who to ask – however, as low-level as your knowledge is, maybe you know how to do this and could help me.

IN the 80’s and 90’s – (BBS era) … when running a BBS and Fidonet mailer, it was common place to use a FOSSIL instead of writing your own UART code.

In the 2000’s … Microsoft dropped the NTVDM, so running a 16bit TSR is impossible (or is it?)…

I have read, where a C++ guy has came up with a way to spawn an EXE, does a little PIPE control to make sure everything is running without error … however, he is mimic’ing a FOSSIL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOSSIL

Original dev notes: http://www.dcllabs.net/docs/x00ref.txt (page 6 starts the things to trap – it is all sent to 1 Interrupt)

The C++ programming in the background runs QuickBBS or RA for example – he is trapping all of the INT 14 calls for the FOSSIL and returns the mimic’d information. I want to do this in Delphi, however, no idea how to do this part. I was hoping you could send me sample in Delphi (please, begging haha – I have tried and tried but, no success).

What I want to build as a free-open source piece of code in Delphi and C, and show people how to run the old BBS program in a background shell – and in the foreground interact with Winsock. Thus, I could telnet to 127.0.0.1 port 1234 – the FOSSIL will send to the BBS program “Ring Indicator”, and when the BBS reads the comport buffer, it will get “RING”. It will send “ATA”, which the program will use as "Accept(socket_handle)” and return “CONNECT 19200”. Etc etc.

I am just trying to find someone who can show me how to mimic INT 14 (and I receive all function queries) from the spawned EXE(s).

Can anyone help???

Thank you kindly!!
Ozz

marcov:

--- Quote from: ozznixon on May 12, 2018, 11:59:44 pm ---    The C++ programming in the background runs QuickBBS or RA for example – he is trapping all of the INT 14 calls for the FOSSIL and returns the mimic’d information. I want to do this in Delphi, however, no idea how to do this part. I was hoping you could send me sample in Delphi (please, begging haha – I have tried and tried but, no success).

--- End quote ---

This is the Lazarus forum, not the Delphi forum.

In Lazarus one would use TProcess.

dbannon:
I wonder if the original post was more about advertising a commercial product (see signature line at the bottom) than seeking an answer to a question that became irrelevant a long time ago. TSR was great technology on single threaded systems. Why would you bother today ?
Davo

Thaddy:

--- Quote from: dbannon on May 13, 2018, 06:20:45 am ---I wonder if the original post was more about advertising a commercial product (see signature line at the bottom) than seeking an answer to a question that became irrelevant a long time ago. TSR was great technology on single threaded systems. Why would you bother today ?
Davo

--- End quote ---
If it is Ozz Nixon himself he merely mixed up naming FPC/Delphi. What he means is Object Pascal.
I also still play with TSR's (In TP and PowerBasic 3) in a virtual machine and/or DOSBOX (although I have a second series IBM - still working, I hope - but gathering dust.). It is just fun to see your old code run.....
My answer would be to use DOSBOX and dosboxwrapper (included with FPC) to run and interface with such old software.
He should be capable enough by now (  8-) ) to know how to do that.

dbannon:
Ah, dosbox ?  I use dosbox on my linux laptop to run Warcraft II - it far more stable than it ever was on DOS6 or Windows95. I don't save my position anymore.

Hmm, perhaps I'm getting a little off topic......

;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version