Author Topic: Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 - license question  (Read 1026 times)

TomTom

Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 - license question
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:36:04 pm »
Hi, I've created program and I used one component from package that is under Mozilla Public License Version 1.1. Can I make money with my program (sell it) and if yes what I have to provide to customer (source code or sth)?

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 - license question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:55:44 pm »
I'm not good about the licensing things. But I found this page may be useful for you:

https://tldrlegal.com/license/mozilla-public-license-1.1-%28mpl-1.1%29

TomTom

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:50:37 pm »
Thank You for Your answer :). I've read Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 but my english is quite poor so I don't know if I understand it correctly :).
I wrote very usefull software for my company. It (my program) was tested for a month and it proved it's usefullness (it speed up 4 times process of converting files in my company). And I wonder if I can get some kind of one time bonus to my salary + some extra money each month for maintenance of my program.

Handoko

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:45 pm »
Good to hear you managed to write an useful program, which may get you some bonus.
Wish you luck, friend.

Soner

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:49:16 pm »
Yes you can sell it. You must not give or not publish sources from your program.

Handoko

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 08:26:05 pm »
I can be wrong but these are what I know about MPL:

You can sell your program and make it closed-souce, but

- You have to mentioned the libraries you used if they're in MPL license
- You can't change the license of those MPL-licensed libraries, you must mentioned that they're in MPL and you must give them proper credit (the author, library name, website, download link, etc)
- You must include the license file of the MPL-licensed libraries you used, in your distribution
- If you modified/improve the MPL-licensed source code, you must clearly mentioned what changes you've made on them

Recent

Get Lazarus at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Open Hub project report for Lazarus