Recent

Author Topic: macOS 32-bit app warning  (Read 27659 times)

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
Re: macOS 32-bit app warning
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 06:25:36 pm »
Well, I have a Lenovo from 2010 and is still running, I just changed the old school HD with an SSD, nothing more.

Phil

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 06:59:39 pm »
Well, I have a Lenovo from 2010 and is still running, I just changed the old school HD with an SSD, nothing more.

SSD is probably the single best thing you can do to prolong a computer's usefulness. Fortunately, I bought mine with SSD, so the only "upgrade" I've had to do is replace the battery.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 07:10:20 pm »
Yes, never had a problem also, I think the same happen with your machine.

But I had several problems - always - with 'custom' PC builds.

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 10:43:51 pm »
macOS 10.13.4 now warns the first time you run a 32-bit app.

This is unfortunate. I am a long time Apple user, and have had numerous desktops and laptops over the years at work and home. Recently I'm the owner of my second iPhone, and an iPad for work. For context, the free software I develop on a Mac for Mac, Windows, and Linux is used by thousands of scientists, educators, and professionals around the world. So please forgive a small rant.

<rant>
Apple keeps ratcheting up the difficulties of small software developers, clamping down and shutting us out, while back in the day they championed us. Apple, of course, is in the hardware business, and closing down 32 bit support is in their interest. Microsoft has more reason to continue 32 bit support. Clearly 64 bit is the future, but at this point I seriously doubt that my software will benefit from 64 bit architecture. Support for iPad and iPhone development is another matter, while I'd love to support them, I don't anticipate diving into Swift and the App Store anytime soon. However, I don't make my living from coding.
</rant>

I kissed REALbasic (Xojo) goodbye for good a long time ago, and am a huge fan of Free Pascal/Lazarus. Looking at the Lazarus Roadmap, cocoa is coming along well, but I'm still hampered by the missing ScrollBar, Accelerator Keys, ImageList, ToolBar, DrawGrid, and PaintBox. Without these I can't compile. I'd step up with bounties, but I'm giving away my software for free. Contributing widget code is probably beyond me, so I'll try to help debug.

I look forward to progress in the Lazarus cocoa widget set, and will try to assist as I can. Many thanks to the developers for their work!

Cheers,
VTwin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:12:32 pm by VTwin »
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

VTwin

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 10:50:44 pm »
I don't suppose Apple could pay one person to support Lazarus development, or even support a bounty...  :(

Phil

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 10:53:56 pm »

Apple keeps ratcheting up the difficulties of small software developers, clamping down and shutting us out, while back in the day they championed us.

I would say it _simplifies_ things for small software developers, since now developers only have to worry about targeting a single architecture (for now, that is). And for users, once 32-bit is dropped, the footprint that macOS takes up on their file system will shrink dramatically (by about half for any executables and libraries which currently include both 32-bit and 64-bit slices).

If / when Apple introduces an ARM-based macOS, then developers will need to target that as well, so not having to worry about 32-bit Intel will be a blessing.

For Xcode developers, this is just a switch you set in Build Settings, not much more than that.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 11:54:52 pm »
Looking at the Lazarus Roadmap, cocoa is coming along well, but I'm still hampered by the missing ScrollBar, Accelerator Keys, ImageList, ToolBar, DrawGrid, and PaintBox. Without these I can't compile.
Could you please provide a test app for each of those components?
Explicitly showing the missing functionality (in cocoa).

VTwin

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 01:47:18 am »
@Phil
Excellent point. I used to distribute FAT binaries, glad to be done with that. I'll be happy to move to 64 bit only.

@skalogryz
Thanks, I will work on that. Is that something I should post in lazarus bugtracker?

Cheers,
VTwin

VTwin

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 01:50:28 am »
BTW I remember the days of having to deal with DOS Extended/Expanded memory. Ugh!

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 01:52:48 am »
@skalogryz
Thanks, I will work on that. Is that something I should post in lazarus bugtracker?
Bugtracker is the best, but posting them here would work as well

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 01:09:24 am »

@skalogryz, I greatly appreciate your interest in getting the 64 mac code happening !

I tried my app with Cocoa a few months ago using a recipe by Phil for getting the head verson of LCL. At the time, memory leaks and badly scaled components were an issue but it did compile after a bit of fiddling. I retained that fiddling in my project to keep the door open....

Am I right in saying I must use the head LCL (obviously) but can continue using 1.8 of Lazarus and matching FCL and FPC ?

I reckon a short HowTo might get a few more people looking at the Cocoa code. Many of us just use the "out of the box" model and its great normally !

David

my project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng

Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Clover

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 04:34:52 pm »
I released 64-bit Lazarus ports of my game last week on my website and the Mac App Store for this very reason. Still early days, but so far so good - one user has reported an Open File dialog unexpectedly quit one time.

It's galling, I'd previously ported from Lazarus to FireMonkey to add Android and IOS editions. But App Studio still only supports 32-bit Mac despite 64-bit expected "sometime" in 2018. I was fortunate I could resurrect my Lazarus code for 64-bit Mac in the meantime.

dbannon

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 02:07:50 am »
My initial tests against 64Cocoa were not very sucessful. But I need to look at it a bit more to see whats really happening before logging reports. But here is a brief summary.

I pulled down SVN, build a 32bit Carbon IDE ('cos I found the 64Cocoa one flakey) and used it to build my 64bit Cocoa app. I noticed -
  • A StringGrids exception if FixedRows is greater than actual number of rows present, but not unique to Cocoa, must be a change to StringGrid. Easy fix.
  • Harder One. I hide my main form on startup and on Carbon, when its active (but hidden) its MainMenu still occupies the Mac Main Menu space, across the top. However, with Cocoa, that main menu does not show up when form is hidden. So, for me, no control of the App.
  • Nasty One. Again, trunk, not just Cocoa. When you run it from within the IDE, an app's main menu is, again, not shown across the top and an icon for the app is not shown in the plank. This seems similar to above but is not, I think, because - Not just a Cocoa problem; You can grab a terminal and 'open' the compiled app and it does work normally; no Icon in the plank (unlike 2 above).

These problems can be demonstrated with simple one form apps. 1. is probably just a sensible change, 2. and 3. I feel I need to have a further play before formally reporting. Interestingly, only 2. seems to be a pure Cocoa issue. Maybe test on Linux .....   

My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Phil

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 02:34:41 am »
    • Harder One. I hide my main form on startup and on Carbon, when its active (but hidden) its MainMenu still occupies the Mac Main Menu space, across the top. However, with Cocoa, that main menu does not show up when form is hidden. So, for me, no control of the App.
    • Nasty One. Again, trunk, not just Cocoa. When you run it from within the IDE, an app's main menu is, again, not shown across the top and an icon for the app is not shown in the plank. This seems similar to above but is not, I think, because - Not just a Cocoa problem; You can grab a terminal and 'open' the compiled app and it does work normally; no Icon in the plank (unlike 2 above).

These problems can be demonstrated with simple one form apps. 1. is probably just a sensible change, 2. and 3. I feel I need to have a further play before formally reporting. Interestingly, only 2. seems to be a pure Cocoa issue. Maybe test on Linux .....

I can confirm (3) - running a Cocoa app under Cocoa IDE.

With (2), perhaps it's just lost the focus? When you click on the app on the Dock, does the app's menu appear?

Note on terminology: "menu bar" and "Dock", although "plank" is pretty funny. See System Preferences: General and Dock for terminology examples.

dbannon

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 04:48:08 am »
    Hi Phil, I have not had time to investigate further, maybe latter today.

Said Phil :
    With (2), perhaps it's just lost the focus? When you click on the app on the Dock, does the app's menu appear?
    No, clicking the icon in the 'Dock" (see, I'm learning), does not appear to do anything.

Said Phil
      "...menu bar" and "Dock.."
    Ah, really ?  On my Linux system, same sort of interface, its called (I believe) a "Plank". Have to watch that, could cause some confusion. Fortunatly, the Mac users of my app don't have high expectations but I'll revisit some of my docs, thanks !

TinyPortal © 2005-2018