Recent

Author Topic: Not able to add linked issues and labels to gitlab issue  (Read 3941 times)

avra

• Additional info
Not able to add linked issues and labels to gitlab issue
« on: August 20, 2021, 03:35:31 pm »
1)  I have created https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/documentation/-/issues/39267 and wanted to add related issues as explained at https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/issues/related_issues.html:
Link one issue to another by selecting the add linked issue button (+) in the Linked issues section of an issue...
Well, I do not see that plus button next to "Linked issues" as tutorial shows. Is it related to some missing permissions, to my misunderstanding, or something else?

2)  As an alternative, I have also failed adding quick action /relate #issue1 #issue2 when issue is not in the same project:
Issues of the same project can be specified just by the reference number. Issues from a different project require additional information like the group and the project name. For example:

The same project: #44
The same group: project#44
Different group: group/project#44

3)  I was also not able to label that issue. According to https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/labels.html:
Users with a permission level of Reporter or higher are able to create and edit labels.
but I didn't want to create/edit labels - I just wanted to apply existing ones but I can not see Edit button in the Labels section of the right sidebar. Tried quick action /label but failed there, too.
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
Re: Not able to add linked issues and labels to gitlab issue
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 12:30:16 am »
As to 3, I'm sure there was a post saying only developers can do that.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 01:39:32 pm »
As to 3, I'm sure there was a post saying only developers can do that.

Thanks, I found it: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,55339.msg413739.html#msg413739

However, it says:
If you report new issues, you may have the option to set the milestone yourself as a suggestion.

Any properties (milestone, labels, ...) are treated as suggestions, and will be reviewed and removed if not agreed on by a developer.
Because issues are often "high prior" to their reporter, any such "importance" properties will usually just be removed. Those fields are reserved for developers only.

If you can not apply the milestone yourself, post the link to the issue in this thread here.
I will then apply the milestone. It will then be reviewed by a team member who maintains the relevant code section (so if found not a 2.2 issue, it will be removed again)

so we should be able to add them, while developers would eventually correct them if needed.

I will try to continue discussion there to find out if we are able to do it or not.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 02:15:23 pm »
It's a while since I did the tests. And I had/have a lot of things to deal with....

Afaik you can add them while creating a *new* issue.
On existing issues, only developers can manage those fields

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 04:49:56 pm »
Afaik you can add them while creating a *new* issue.
On existing issues, only developers can manage those fields
I've just tried to create a new issue, and I do not see collapsible sidebar on the right to add Milestone or Label, and Linked Issues horizontal bar is not available. I can see both after issue has been created, but as said before I can not use them because (+) and (Edit) buttons are not available to me (gitlab tutorials mention that those buttons are available if you have permissions).

Should I report this to mail list?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 04:55:12 pm by avra »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 05:27:51 pm »
Those permissions are set by gitlab. We can not actually change them.
So there is nothing to be reported.

I created myself an unrelated account for testing, and I thought with that account I was able to do what I described.
There is also an gitlab issue / issue about gitlab itself, that somewhat mentions this using the term "suggestion".

So it is what it is.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 05:44:17 pm »
I created myself an unrelated account for testing, and I thought with that account I was able to do what I described.
There is also an gitlab issue / issue about gitlab itself, that somewhat mentions this using the term "suggestion".

So it is what it is.
Bummer.

Anyway, thanks for your effort. I do appreciate it.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 05:45:47 pm »
Actually it seems I tested with the wrong account.

I needed several test accounts, since I needed to see diffs between owner, maintainer, devel, user...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018