Recent

Author Topic: No Issues, No Errors - Not Asking a Question  (Read 2102 times)

JLWest

No Issues, No Errors - Not Asking a Question
« on: April 05, 2018, 08:15:41 am »
I down loaded both SVN/GIT and haven't decided which I'll go with. GIT seems easier.

Did start a personal backup system of zipping every nite when I finish. And I'm on version 4.
Project should take about 55 versions. It's parses apt.dat files and they have about 45 different record formats.

The biggest apt.dat file (really a text file) in the world has maybe half a million records.
In the early days of the project I read thru the file and it took about 25 min.

I have made a friend on the form who has helped me out quite a bit and has agreed to do a code review.

I think he is very good at Free Pascal and is a Hero Member (I think) on the board.

If I could, I'd buy you'll a beer.

If your ever in Scottsdale.

FPC 3.2.0, Lazarus IDE v2.0.4
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
 Intel i7 770K CPU 4.2GHz 32702MB Ram
GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics - 8 Gig
4.1 TB

jamie

Re: No Issues, No Errors - Not Asking a Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 12:30:40 am »
You need to work with formatted files for large entities.

Create a Record with all of the common fields you need, make string fields large enough for future
increases..

The first field of each record should be a SIZE file of the record and then a Version number, this can identify
the software version and the size of the chunk for other utilities to read it.

Some may even go as far as putting in a Header record that describes the Record layout, offsets into the
record and so on. Using this method you could dynamically create a hard record to fit the bill at runtime...

But in anycase, its faster to read in blocks as a complete record containing all your items in a raw format then it
is doing it all in string format line by line..

When you get done at the end of the day, you'll ask yourself why you didn't install SQLite!
 :'(

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

taazz

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:29:12 am »
I down loaded both SVN/GIT and haven't decided which I'll go with. GIT seems easier.

Did start a personal backup system of zipping every nite when I finish. And I'm on version 4.
Project should take about 55 versions. It's parses apt.dat files and they have about 45 different record formats.

The biggest apt.dat file (really a text file) in the world has maybe half a million records.
In the early days of the project I read thru the file and it took about 25 min.

I have made a friend on the form who has helped me out quite a bit and has agreed to do a code review.

I think he is very good at Free Pascal and is a Hero Member (I think) on the board.

If I could, I'd buy you'll a beer.

If your ever in Scottsdale.

;) here is a small piece of information that might help decide between git and SVN. Both are Version Control Systems which means that every time you check in a file the old one remains in the database it never gets deleted so you can walk back in time and see when every thing happens or retrieve a past version. That is the main goal of a VCS. Now the main difference between git and svn is that git is decentralized while svn is centralized what that means to you well with git every time you check out your source code from a different location you copy the historical database as well so you usually need to sync with the repository (central database) before start working. SVN is centralized the historical database is in one place, the only thing you need to worry about synchronizing is your changes with other developer's.

Both are excellent systems, good and very stable in their current version. Both can be easily added to the windows explorer (if you use windows) for a far better usability, especially in your daily routine.

What ever you choose, since you are the only developer in your product, it will not make a big difference in hardware requirements or usability factor.

Above all else, have fun with your projects.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:31:18 am by taazz »
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

JLWest

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:52:50 am »
Thanks for the info on VCS.

FPC 3.2.0, Lazarus IDE v2.0.4
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
 Intel i7 770K CPU 4.2GHz 32702MB Ram
GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics - 8 Gig
4.1 TB

TinyPortal © 2005-2018