Forum > General

MINIX

(1/3) > >>

SymbolicFrank:
Any Intel CPU is actually a VM running on MINIX, which runs on a hidden x86 core.

Is MINIX a free pascal/Lazarus target platform, and how could we flash and run the executable on the CPU die? Then we don't need another OS on top.

marcov:

--- Quote from: SymbolicFrank on March 16, 2018, 01:12:57 pm ---Any Intel CPU is actually a VM running on MINIX, which runs on a hidden x86 core.

Is MINIX a free pascal/Lazarus target platform, and how could we flash and run the executable on the CPU die? Then we don't need another OS on top.

--- End quote ---

Respectively: No(which you could have gathered yourself by looking at the directories in e.g. rtl/), and "ask Minix/Intel".

SymbolicFrank:
Would we want it?

Thaddy:
Looks to me like "embedded", which we have... You do not need an OS to run  Freepascal code, Only a cpu.

Bart:
Well, I would love to have Minix on my portable IBM XT (8088 processor, 640 kB memory, 20 Mb harddisk), which currently runs MSDOS 5.0. With MSDOS I'm unable to connect to the www, as MSDOS does not have built-in network capabilities, so I'm unable to install FreePascal (and FreePascal does not offer to ship the installer on  5.25" floppy disks).
(I suppose Minix does have network capabilities.)

Bart

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version