Recent

Author Topic: An IDE Issue  (Read 3757 times)

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
An IDE Issue
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:25:19 am »
This issue is related with the one I posted some time ago:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,39157.msg267761.html

Because some said that was not a bug, it's okay to me. But similar related to it, I now found something that is annoying.

Tested on Lazarus 1.8.0 64-bit Gtk2 Ubuntu Mate 17.10. It always reproducible on my tests.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
01. Start a new project (File > New > Project > Application)
02. Put a TShape on the form
03. On the Object Inspector, click Top (see image below)
04. Use mouse to drag and move the TShape
05. If you drag about 2 cm or more, then it will be out of the screen

I understand that when the Top property is selected on the Object Inspector, it is locked to modify using mouse. But it should not cause dragging becomes extremely fast.

Can you reproduce this 'annoying' behavior on your tests? Should I report it to the bug report forum?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:20:46 pm by Handoko »

WooBean

Re: An IDE Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:12:11 am »
@Handoko

I tried to reproduce your problem at Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64-bit, MATE 1.18.0, Lazarus 1.8.0, FPC 3.0.4, gtk2 - nothing happened, everything works without any problem. I see some visual difference in my and your Lazarus IDE - in my case it is used a docked IDE (with sparta packages). BTW, I cannot imagine one could live widthout a docked IDE.

Maybe your mouse hardware or driver is a culprit?

WooBean
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:46:42 am by WooBean »
Platforms: Win7/64, Linux Mint Ulyssa/64

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:34:47 am »
yep, Handoko, i can confirm that.

While top remained fixed, i quickly found my tshape had a left of -27568  !

lazarus 1.8.0, ubuntu mate 16.04.4

interesting we are both using Mate ....

Davo
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

rvk

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:10:10 am »
Can you reproduce this 'annoying' behavior on your tests? Should I report it to the bug report forum?
Yes, Lazarus 1.9.0 (trunk) from 2018-02-23 still has the problem.
So you can create a bug report.

Linux Mint 18.3 in VB, Lazarus 1.9.0 r57354 FPC 3.1.1 x86_64-linux-gtk2

It's also true if you focus on the property "Left" and move the shape with the mouse.
And it doesn't just happen with TShape. It also happens with TButton or any other component.

(damn, where is my shape now :'( )
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:14:39 am by rvk »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:23:52 pm »
I remember similar issues in the past, and they were considered bugs then.

That includes the "lock" issue.

Even if top/left/width/height is selected in the OI, it should still change if modified on the form.

And both issues you describe (here and other thread) work on windows (i.e., those issues do not exist on windows)

So something is different in the execution order of events for gtk, and this causes the issues.
IMHO clearly a bug.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:20:19 pm »
Thank you all, I've reported it. If anyone interested or has something to add, you can visit here:

https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=33422

@Martin_fr

Thank you for testing the 'lock' issue on Windows. I'll report it later. That behavior can be a bug or feature, but I'll report it as an inconsistent behavior on Windows/Linux.

@WooBean

I see some visual difference in my and your Lazarus IDE - in my case it is used a docked IDE (with sparta packages). BTW, I cannot imagine one could live widthout a docked IDE.

I used docked IDE before, I was happy with it. But later I found without docking is 'better'. Because I can manage layout freely.

For example I usually do multitasks on my computer. I may browsing the web and found some interesting programming topic so I start my Lazarus to do as the article said. I can do 'peeking' easily if you do not use docked IDE.

I understand the undocked IDE can be messy and I won't recommend it to common users. But if you're an experienced user and

- Has a large monitor (mine is 24")
- Do multitask a lot
- Turn on 'single button in taskbar'
- Make use the Desktop feature (menu > Tools > Desktop)

Anyone that satisfied the 4 points above may be happy to use Lazarus undocked. Try it maybe you will agree with me too.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018