Recent

Author Topic: Portable cross platform desktop application  (Read 2050 times)

ivicacevis

Portable cross platform desktop application
« on: March 09, 2018, 11:48:36 pm »
Hi,

I apologize if my question is not in the correct forum part.

My background are xfa dynamic forms created in Adobe LiveCycle designer - I understand basic OOP and database. I have 9 of those xfa forms, they are used for entering data in accounting. They all have general information which I can edit and lock, the end-user can only fill form. Instead of using 9 different forms, I want to create one portable (cross platform) desktop application. Idea is that the end-user can choose from menu, inside application, different module (now one of the forms). Additional request would be that general information about end-user can be changed by me, saved, locked and distribute to end-user via email as zipped file.

Is it possible to achieve that, and if so, what steps should I take?

I found some tools for cross platform such as Windev, and finally searching Wiki, found Lazarus.

So far, as I understand I should use sqlite inside app.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Portable cross platform desktop application
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:54:03 pm »
Hello ivicacevis,
Welcome to the forum.

Is it possible to achieve that, ...

In programming, nothing is impossible.

You mentioned portable and cross platform, but you should know they are not the same. Portable (application), cross platform and cross compile are actually 3 different things.

Lazarus can create portable applications. Yes, (almost) all the programs I created are portable, they require no install. They auto generate necessary setting and config files on their first run.

Lazarus is cross platform, you can use it on Linux, Windows and Mac. Lazarus also is cross compile, I can generate Windows binaries when using Lazarus on Linux.

About the database, Lazarus supports wide range of databases. Just pick the one that suits your need: Advantage, DBase, TurboPower FlashFiler, in memory, Firebird, (Visual) FoxPro, Interbase, Ms. SQL Server, MySQL, ODBC, Oracle, Paradox, PostgreSQL, Sybase, SQLite, text files.
Source: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Databases

About the security and privileges (change, save, lock, etc), it's all depends on the programmer skills and/or the database you choose.

... distribute to end-user via email as zipped file? I never tried, but it sounds very possible to me. You just need to write an import/export module to handle it. Lazarus has ready to use data/file compression modules.

What steps should I take?
Wow, it's a long journey. I'll let more experienced seniors to answer.

ivicacevis

Re: Portable cross platform desktop application
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:14:04 pm »
Tnx for replaying. Downloaded free e-book how to start with lazarus and sqlite

TinyPortal © 2005-2018