Recent

Author Topic: Laz 1.8.2 No memory left  (Read 32294 times)

taazz

Re: Laz 1.8.2 No memory left
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 03:33:58 am »
I wonder if it's some stupid windows 10 update for specter or that other damn thing with the CPUs...
some times (I've seen it mostly in older windows eg xp,vista etc) you got an out of memory when the system run out of resources. You can test against resources if you login in safemode and run build from there. If that succeeds then some recently install application or service consumes to many resources. If not then try installing a clean system on a VM with older windows (7 comes to mind) and see if that helps at all.

Keep in mind I have no experience with windows 10 so I'll not be able to provide any definitive observations.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

snorkel

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 04:47:18 am »
well, I got all my packages installed and I did it by uninstalling the sparta docked form package.
I then installed that package last and bam Fatal: No memory left
***Snorkel***
If I forget, I always use the latest stable 32bit version of Lazarus and FPC. At the time of this signature that is Laz 3.0RC2 and FPC 3.2.2

snorkel

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 04:59:09 am »
Well after some more messing around I got even the sparta docked form editor to work i used the Optimized IDE profile and then it linked with no issues.
Maybe some issue with Ryzen CPUs?
***Snorkel***
If I forget, I always use the latest stable 32bit version of Lazarus and FPC. At the time of this signature that is Laz 3.0RC2 and FPC 3.2.2

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 10:25:00 am »
I can confirm "No memory left" problem. My system is 32-bit Laz 1.8.3 + FPC 3.0.5 on Win10x64. I didn't have that problem with previous 1.8.1+3.0.5. I have Intel 4670 with 16GB. It happens when you install looots of packages with or without OPM. When it happens you have to uninstall at least 10-12 existing packages and it then allows you to install the package you thought was problematic. Unfortunately every "problematic" package passes after this big package uninstall happens first.

I would not know normally, but I am testing ct4laz repo and it needs lots of OPM packages and also many ct4laz packages. So I can reproduce described behavior. You install packages normally, and after a while when it shows, packages can only be compiled but not installed. Only some very small package can install then. After that not even small. I have the same problem with optimized and normal IDE buildings. Clean build does not help. Since this was a fpcupdeluxe installation, I have a clean install that I zipped. I can reproduce the problem when starting from that clean zip archive.

We both have Win10 in common.  >:(

I will test if old 1.8.1+3.0.5 now has this problem, too.

In my first iteration of tests I had only 32-bit Vivaldi browser running. In my second iteration I had only Total Commander running. Therefore I do not think I was out of resources (although I didn't check at the time).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:32:04 am by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 10:30:54 am »
The strange thing is that it seems to be a linker/compiler error, which should be the same for all these versions. (3.0.4, and 3.0.5 is barely different)

Fabio Souza

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 12:45:13 pm »
Try using the -CX option in the Lazarus Build.

snorkel

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 03:58:14 pm »
Avra, are you by chance using any type of AMD CPU?
On my intel work laptop I don't have any issues but it is windows 7.

The odd thing is I didnt have any issues last week with 1.8 when I set up the new Ryzen CPU based desktop.

Using the optimized profile when building the IDE did allow the linker to complete without error and the optimized profile enables the smart link option.  Works with smartlink and does not with it disabled. 

I really wonder if it's some patch they pushed through for windows 10 for some CPU vulnerability.
***Snorkel***

snorkel

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 04:03:03 pm »
I reverted back to the stock 1.8 and it did it there as well, and with the same 1.8.0 setup a week and half ago no issues at all installing the packages.
***Snorkel***

Cyrax

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 04:18:57 pm »
Have you tried to remove the overclocking? Also try underclocking the cpu and memory speeds.

Test your memory with these programs : http://www.memtest.org/ https://www.memtest86.com/

If you can, get Linux Live CD and test if your Ryzen have the segmentation fault bug during compiling. See this link for more info : https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=new-ryzen-fixed&num=1

Also see this link : https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-segmentation-fault-test-for-windows.1943854/

snorkel

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 05:53:42 pm »
Hi,
The cpu is not overclocked at all, running at stock speeds, but I was running the memory at 2933 and I did lower it back down to 2133 and it made no difference.
The DDR4 ram I have is rated at 3200mzh but with current bios it will only run stable at 2933.

Only thing that allowed me to install all my required packages was to build the IDE with the Optimized profile which adds come compiler switches(in that screen shot I posted) which seems to enable the smart linking as well.  I was using the default profile which did not enable smart linking.

I was unaware of any segmentation fault with Ryzen CPUs, but will check that out.
UPDATE:
It's not likely I have a CPU made way back in June, I just got it a couple of weeks ago and these things sell like hot cakes.  Only way to tell for sure is to look at the heat spreader :-( and it's a pain in rear to take off the bolted on heatsink/fan.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:05:48 pm by snorkel »
***Snorkel***

jamie

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 11:52:49 pm »
maybe its not worth anything but, did you go into the Settings:Updates /Security, scroll down
where it says developer mode and make sure you have some lead way there?

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 01:19:25 am »
The strange thing is that it seems to be a linker/compiler error
I tried internal linker -Xi and error was still there. Then I tried external linker with -Xe and error was gone both in Optimized IDE and Normal IDE profile build modes. I checked several times and I can reproduce on will. It is too late now so I will do further testing tomorrow, but right now it looks to me as this is a work around. Another work around is not just check "Clean all" in already mentioned build modes (which I wrongly asumed was enough), but to use last "Clean up + Build all" profile for building IDE. That solved the problem until next build is needed, but it was too slow to do it every time so I looked further as you could see.

Try using the -CX option in the Lazarus Build.
It didn't help.

Avra, are you by chance using any type of AMD CPU?
No, Intel i5 4670.

Have you tried to remove the overclocking? Also try underclocking the cpu and memory speeds.
Test your memory with these programs : http://www.memtest.org/ https://www.memtest86.com/
No overclocking. BIOS defaults for CPU and MEM. MemTest86+ runs rock solid.

maybe its not worth anything but, did you go into the Settings:Updates /Security, scroll down
where it says developer mode and make sure you have some lead way there?
I am in developer mode, if that is what you wanted me to check.

jamie

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 03:00:50 am »
Have you tried shutting down the IDE between package install

and also check the Task manager for running apps related to Laz between shutdowns.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

snorkel

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 04:48:48 am »

and also check the Task manager for running apps related to Laz between shutdowns.

Yep, did that and mad no difference.  I checked the task manager the only other app that was launching was multiple copies of make.exe.
As I mentioned before the optimized profile seems to work around the issue whatever it really is.
***Snorkel***

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 09:07:52 am »
Restarting IDE does not solve the problem.

check the Task manager for running apps related to Laz between shutdowns.
Single Lazarus executable in task manager, no hanging executables.

As I mentioned before the optimized profile seems to work around the issue whatever it really is.
In my case it just gave more room before it strikes again. My guess is that it will strike you too if you install another 10-15 packages. If you need bunch of packages for testing then you can use these: https://bitbucket.org/avra/ct4laz/downloads/ct4laz-preview.zip.

The only permanent work around so far is to use external linker (add -Xe in active build profile). I have so many packages installed that at the moment I remove -Xe and try to rebuild IDE, "No memory left" error shows every time. So yes, so far I can reproduce it whenever needed.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018