Recent

Author Topic: Better look for coding  (Read 9740 times)

apexcol

Better look for coding
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:34:31 am »
Hi, I think we could make a little change on the IDE look inside the editor for better reading... Solid lines are visually annoying compared to dotted lines.  Here's a comparison with Notepad++.

taazz

Re: Better look for coding
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:48:01 am »
change the colors to something darker and the annoyance factor will go down
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

apexcol

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:52:37 am »
Nope, it doesn't let me change colors in this way... look at the Options Dialog Box and you'll see...

Besides, if you take a closer look, if I could change the color of the lines only, the words also would be darker, so there's no solution... :(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:55:25 am by apexcol »

taazz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:54:44 am »
Nope, it doesn't let me change colors in this way... look at the Options Dialog Box and you'll see...
sorry I'm on lazarus 1.4.4 at the foreseeable future I'll need to clean some disc space before installing 1.8.X so I'll let some one else address this issue for now.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 12:50:20 pm »
There are more options planed on the long run...

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 01:54:19 pm »

Besides, if you take a closer look, if I could change the color of the lines only, the words also would be darker, so there's no solution... :(
You already can change colors in trunk (1.9). However, lines and words have the same color. It's not big problem with light themes but it's annoying with your dark theme, I can see.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

taazz

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 02:13:46 pm »
I suggest you stop colouring the "words" or at least make it optional, the lines are strong enough.

apexcol

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 07:43:42 am »
If you can see, I didn't put the colors of the words, I use dark themes because I want to work without getting tired my eyes.  Despite of all, I think it must be only changing a few lines of code inside the IDE.  I think there are more people like me that want's to improve the Lazarus project, but I don't know where to change it to recompile it and enjoy the benefits.

So instead of criticizing... let's be more proactive!!!  ;D

taazz

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 08:03:31 am »
If you can see, I didn't put the colors of the words, I use dark themes because I want to work without getting tired my eyes.  Despite of all, I think it must be only changing a few lines of code inside the IDE.  I think there are more people like me that want's to improve the Lazarus project, but I don't know where to change it to recompile it and enjoy the benefits.

So instead of criticizing... let's be more proactive!!!  ;D
well just for this I uninstalled 1.6.4 cleaned up unused controls installed 1.8.2 and lo and behold, it does not show any lines by default. Now, until I find some more time to search the options and included addins to enable the "lines", I suggest you search your installation for other settings and what they do, for example in the options dialog in the editor\display\colors leaf there is a group of 10 colors, named, outline colors. As for the "do not color the words" comment, is for the developers of the addin not you.

apexcol

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:19:07 am »
Dear friend, believe me when I say that I tried all the colors, and the problem is not on the colors, the problem is on the line styles... they are solid, and I wish I could put them dotted like in Notepad++  %)

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 08:43:23 am »
Not everyone has problems with solid lines and colors, I for one like the feature as it is now.
So if any changes should be made make them optional otherwise others will start complaining.  :)
       Lazarus 3.2 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.40 FPC 3.3.1

WooBean

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:44:10 am »
Dear friend, believe me when I say that I tried all the colors, and the problem is not on the colors, the problem is on the line styles... they are solid, and I wish I could put them dotted like in Notepad++  %)

I have no experience in Lazarus 1.8.2 code structure highlighting but I am quite familiar with such a feature from CnPack addon intalled in Delphi IDE (you can manually set up here every aspect of code highlighting). I think that colouring code words and using solid lines for syntax is a very well chosen strategy. Solid lines (with width=1 !!!) are better than any other choice. BTW, attached example of screen from Lazarus 1.8.2 IDE seems to have lines more fat (width=2?).

Just opinion,
WooBean
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:48:19 am by WooBean »
Platforms: Win7/64, Linux Mint Ulyssa/64

guest58172

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:49:31 am »
There are more options planed on the long run...

TSynEditMarkupFoldColors is not usable with anything else than Pascal like languages. I admit that it's quite smart and good looking with Pascal but results were not good at all when i tried with my Dlang highlighter (C-like). But i don't complain since actually i may use ATSynEdit in a near future.

apexcol

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 09:24:09 am »
So as I must understand... JanRoza says his oppinion and likes are more important than others?

I think we must be more humble and understand that others' opinion also can be taken into account.

Maybe this suggestion (the dotted one) is so difficult to implement?  Or maybe there are lazy people around?

taazz

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 10:14:52 am »
No you did not, I found and enabled the structural outline in 1.8.2 and I can attest that changing the colours under the outline colors group does affect the colour of the lines and the words, the only thing left for the developers to add is a choice to not change the colour of the keywords.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:18:43 am by taazz »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018