Recent

Author Topic: Unknown/Unsupported Targa image type  (Read 4704 times)

NelsonN

• Beam Me Up!
Unknown/Unsupported Targa image type
« on: February 28, 2018, 06:47:13 pm »
The "Unknown/Unsupported Targa image type" IDE error is driving me crazy. No matter what I do I can't seem to get past it.

This happened after I added the thtmlview component. I searched for hours and the only forum post I see really doesn't tell me anything about fixing it.

I am using Lazarus 1.8.0 installed as a second installation. I kept Lazarus 1.6 installed.
Lazarus trunk / FPC 3.0.4 / 32-bit and 64-bit with Windows 10.

wp

Re: Unknown/Unsupported Targa image type
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 07:00:18 pm »
There was another message somewhere reporting the same issue, and it was mentioned that this behavior is related to the package ImagesForLazarus. There is also a bugreport that this package is set up with incorrect debug information. This is fixed in trunk now. On Laz 1.8 you fix this yourself by opening the file imagesforlazarus.lpk (it is in (lazarus)/components/images. In its "Options" > "Compiler options" > "Debugging" set "Type of debug info" to "Automatic". Rebuild the IDE.

Does this solve the issue? If you uninstall ImagesForLazarus.

NelsonN

• Beam Me Up!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 07:23:49 pm »
I tried uninstalling it, it didn't work. I also tried recompiling with the settings you provided, that also didn't fix the issue. I have to revert back to the lazarus.old.exe after every try because after the window alerting me to the Targa error Lazarus just stops loading.

Maybe uninstalling and trying again. I see a new version is out but that has some more changes since Lazarus 1.6.

wp

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 07:41:22 pm »
What is your OS, your widget-set?

NelsonN

• Beam Me Up!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:02:04 pm »
I am running Windows 10 with the default widget set.

wp

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 10:18:03 pm »
Like me. Now I installed the HTMLViewer package (I guess that's what you mean) via Online Package Manager into Lazarus trunk / fpc 3.0.4 -- and see the same error message. I have another installation of Laz trunk with fpc 3.1.1, and here the package seems to work correctly, I checked a sample demo - no problem.

So, I guess, you should update fpc to the trunk (or maybe fixes) version. You can use fpcupdeluxe for an easy installation.

[EDIT]
Now I tried Laz1.8/fpc 3.0.4, uninstalled ImagesForLazarus and installed HTMLViewer -- no problem. Installed ImagesForLazarus again -- problem. I think you did something wrong when you uninstalled ImagesForLazarus. Did you rebuild the IDE?

Looking at ImagesForLazarus I don't see much to be missed. Most of the units add deprecated aliases to graphics image types (TJPGImage instead of TJPEGImage, TPngImage instead of TPortableNetworkGraphic, etc). The only unit in which a little bit is "happening" is the one which registers the tga support. I don't see big problems is this package is not installed.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:55:35 pm by wp »

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 10:38:13 pm »
1.8 branch does not compile with fpc trunk, due to issue #33272.
This was fixed in Lazarus trunk, but it's not merged to 1.8, because officially stable Lazarus versions don't (have to) support fpc trunk as compiler.
So, you'll have to patch Lazarus 1.8(.2) yourself then.

Bart

wp

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 10:52:42 pm »
I wonder why we have fpreport in 1.8 since it requires fpc trunk too...

Anyway, fpc trunk is not needed - see my EDIT of the previous post.

NelsonN

• Beam Me Up!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:16:04 pm »
wp, Yes, I rebuild the IDE, that is why I have to revert back to the older one to try again. I gave up on that installation. I did everything you sate and nothing.

Bart, I am downloading with fpcupdeluxe, trunk, both Lazarus and FPC. How do I patch after I download?

wp

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 11:26:11 pm »
When you say "I tried uninstalling it, it didn't work" this is not very helpful. What did not work? What happened? Sometimes when there are massive changes in the code base it is required to do a clean compilation. Go to "Tools" > "Configure 'Build Lazarus'". In the "Clean up" box check "Clean all" and "Switch after building to automatically". Click build. If this does not work there is another problem somewhere.

NelsonN

• Beam Me Up!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 11:39:03 pm »
When you say "I tried uninstalling it, it didn't work" this is not very helpful. What did not work? What happened? ...

The package, or packages in this case, thtmlview included. I can try a clean install as you suggest and then what? Is it going to go back to the same?

I may as well try something else at this early stage, in this case fpcupdeluxe and the trunk, as you suggested. Maybe I will have better luck.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 11:48:24 pm »
Bart, I am downloading with fpcupdeluxe, trunk, both Lazarus and FPC. How do I patch after I download?

Lazarus trunk will build OK with fpc trunk.

Bart

NelsonN

• Beam Me Up!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 12:11:39 am »

Lazarus trunk will build OK with fpc trunk.

Bart

Cool. Thanks to you both for helping me with this. The downloading is going to take awhile, but I will report back when I get it working, or not working.

NelsonN

• Beam Me Up!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 01:28:44 am »
Everything is working flawlessly now with the fpcupdeluxe, trunk, both Lazarus and FPC. :)

A quick question, so I just installed the 32-bit version. If I want to code in 64-bit I just create a new installation for that with fpcupdeluxe?

Update: I figured it out. The 64-bit cross-compiler is already installed. I compiled my database program in 64-bit and have it working without issues, so far.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:16:45 am by NelsonN »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018