Recent

Author Topic: Supposedly I installed Synapse, but there is no tab called "Synapse"  (Read 6659 times)

RedOctober

Platform:  Windows Server Essentials 2016, Lazarus 1.8.1, FPC 3.0.5

I need to get the Synapse components.  I used the Online Package Manager, I checked "Synapse 40.1" then clicked "Install".  It seems to have rebuilt or installed (or whatever) properly and the OPM says it's installed, however I cannot find the "Synapse" tab in my Lazarus IDE.  I have close and reopened it, still nothing.  The OPM says I already have Synapse installed, but the Packages->Install/Uninstall doesn't list Synapse as an uninstallable package.

Can some one tell me what happened, how to fix it, or maybe everything is correct and the Synapse components are actually on some other tab or named something other than "Synapse"

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

RedOctober

Re: Supposedly I installed Synapse, but there is no tab called "Synapse"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 04:37:57 am »
Ok, I found some documentation that says it's not a component set, so that's why I cannot find the tab for Synaps.

http://www.ararat.cz/synapse/doku.php/public:howto

Next question:  I want to simply get a webpage from a URL including it's HTTP response code.  I'm specifically looking for code 200 OK.  How is this done in Synapse?

RedOctober

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 04:56:56 am »
I cannot seem to get started with Synapse.  The example shown at:

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Synapse#From_an_HTTP_server

won't work for me because the complier can't find the identifier:

httpsend

taazz

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:55:19 am »
open lazarus go to menu project\new project select the type of project you want (application, simple application etc).open the project inspector (menu project\project inspector) then the big blue plus on top and select new requirement. in the dialog that opens start typeing synapse or what ever the package name is select it and press create new requirement.

Now you can use the units in your application open your application's main unit go to the uses clause and add the httpSend unit to it. Copy the download function from the web and paste it your main unit. write code to call the download function you just pasted.

if it fails for any reason please provide the exception code and message.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

RedOctober

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 05:40:54 pm »
Hi taazz.  I'm still stuck. I have attached a .pdf to show you what is happening. I made the page size extra large so you can see the images.

I'm not sure how to proceed.

balazsszekely

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 05:51:18 pm »
RedOctober

Synapse is a runtime package, so you must add it to the "Required packages" of your project(as in the attached image).  After this you can add httpsend to the uses clauses.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:56:16 pm by GetMem »

taazz

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:02:44 pm »
Hi taazz.  I'm still stuck. I have attached a .pdf to show you what is happening. I made the page size extra large so you can see the images.

I'm not sure how to proceed.
go to the menu package\open package and load the package (*.lpk) from your disk. Press compile once and close it, after that the IDE will refresh its internal data and learn of the existence of the package, you will be able to see it in the add requirement dialog.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

balazsszekely

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 06:04:48 pm »
go to the menu package\open package and load the package (lpk) from you disk. Press compile once and close it after that the IDE will refresh its internal data and learn of the existanse of the package nad you will be able to see it in the add requirement dialog.
If OP installed the package via OPM the above steps are not needed. The package is automatically compiled.

taazz

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 06:19:29 pm »
go to the menu package\open package and load the package (lpk) from you disk. Press compile once and close it after that the IDE will refresh its internal data and learn of the existanse of the package nad you will be able to see it in the add requirement dialog.
If OP installed the package via OPM the above steps are not needed. The package is automatically compiled.
its not for the compilation, its the lazarus configuration update that is probably not updated. (i'm guessing).

Some times I surprise my self on how bad my communication skills are. Just to make it clear what I'm saying is that, the lazarus known packages list is not updated with the runtime only packages (aka package not compiled in to lazarus) installed from OPM, by opening the package should automatically add it to the list but since I have never opened a package with out compilation I'm not sure that the act of opening is sufficient so I recommend to compile it once.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:26:40 pm by taazz »

RedOctober

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »
Thanks tazz.  Your explanation worked.  I'm on my way now.

taazz

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 08:26:55 pm »
Thanks tazz.  Your explanation worked.  I'm on my way now.
I'm glad I could be of service.

balazsszekely

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 12:16:56 am »
@taazz
Just install any runtime package via OPM and see the result. Apparently we are leaving in a parallel universe.

RedOctober

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 12:24:36 am »
GetMem... the OPM has been a life saver.  It usually works, including registering in Lazarus for inclusion in the "Add a Requirement" list.  On Synapse that last piece is missing.

taazz

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 12:29:51 am »
@taazz
Just install any runtime package via OPM and see the result. Apparently we are leaving in a parallel universe.
can I get opm on lazarus 1.4.4?

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 02:49:49 pm »
can I get opm on lazarus 1.4.4?
No, you must update for 1.8 obviously. Did you instruct people about OPM without using it yourself?
You really should update, many things have improved since 1.4.4. If you are afraid of the improved Unicode support, please don't be. It works very well!
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018