Recent

Author Topic: Can not move objects on form in edit mode.  (Read 4532 times)

JAMME

Can not move objects on form in edit mode.
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:50:11 pm »
My first program using Lazarus. Project1 is created with the editor and a "Form1". I can create an object, such as a button, on the form but, once there, I am unable to click/drag or resize the object. I can however select the object (the object inspector reacts as expected) and resize the form. Please, what am I doing wrong?

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and have tried with Lazarus 1.8.0 for both 32 bit and 64 bit.

Thanks.

ASerge

Re: Can not move objects on form in edit mode.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:05:28 am »
My first program using Lazarus. Project1 is created with the editor and a "Form1".
If you create through IDE, there are problems?

JAMME

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 12:17:22 pm »
ASerge.
I am trying to follow this tutorial:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Tutorial#Your_first_Lazarus_Program.21

I open Lazarus, click on Project from the main menu and click OK for a new application. An Object Inspector, Source Editor and Form1 are created. I click on “button”, on the object menu, then click on Form1. This creates a button. I can select and deselect the button but can not drag or resize it. This seems to be the same for the other objects.

Having said all that, I have found the culprit. .... a Logitech wireless Laser mouse. If I simply pull the batteries on this and plug in a USB mouse (the best that Poundworld can supply), I get the same response in Lazarus. However, if I unplug the Logitech base unit, reboot Windows 7 with the Poundworld mouse connected, then open Lazarus and create a new project I can select, drag, resize, do somersaults with the button object; all as expected.

What, can't do somersaults with your objects? Get a Poundworld mouse.

Yes, yes, I even updated the dreaded Logitech SetPoint and it still won't work. If I find a version of this piece of malware that allows the wireless mouse to do the needful, I'll post anew, because, despite this, a wireless mouse is less hindering.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 12:27:48 pm »
The setpoint is fully programmable. It maybe the case that the setpoint simply clashes with what Lazarus expects, e.g. what does left-button drag do on the setpoint? re-program left-button-drag.
Specialize a type, not a var.

JAMME

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 03:17:12 pm »
Thaddy.
I can not program the left mouse button in SetPoint.

However, I found that my usual habit of preventing stubs from loading at startup in msconfig may have to be put to one side. If I allow SetPoint to load at startup, I am able to fully control objects in Form1.

Oh how I hate things running from startup! That was why I've run this wireless mouse without SetPoint for the last ten years or so. I only loaded it this time to update the driver. But, if needs must then I'll have to allow it if I want this mouse for Lazarus. Goodness what one must do for one's art!

Thanks for the pointer Thaddy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018