Author Topic: Can not move objects on form in edit mode.  (Read 1725 times)

JAMME

Can not move objects on form in edit mode.
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:50:11 pm »
My first program using Lazarus. Project1 is created with the editor and a "Form1". I can create an object, such as a button, on the form but, once there, I am unable to click/drag or resize the object. I can however select the object (the object inspector reacts as expected) and resize the form. Please, what am I doing wrong?

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and have tried with Lazarus 1.8.0 for both 32 bit and 64 bit.

Thanks.

ASerge

Re: Can not move objects on form in edit mode.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:05:28 am »
My first program using Lazarus. Project1 is created with the editor and a "Form1".
If you create through IDE, there are problems?

JAMME

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 12:17:22 pm »
ASerge.
I am trying to follow this tutorial:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Tutorial#Your_first_Lazarus_Program.21

I open Lazarus, click on Project from the main menu and click OK for a new application. An Object Inspector, Source Editor and Form1 are created. I click on “button”, on the object menu, then click on Form1. This creates a button. I can select and deselect the button but can not drag or resize it. This seems to be the same for the other objects.

Having said all that, I have found the culprit. .... a Logitech wireless Laser mouse. If I simply pull the batteries on this and plug in a USB mouse (the best that Poundworld can supply), I get the same response in Lazarus. However, if I unplug the Logitech base unit, reboot Windows 7 with the Poundworld mouse connected, then open Lazarus and create a new project I can select, drag, resize, do somersaults with the button object; all as expected.

What, can't do somersaults with your objects? Get a Poundworld mouse.

Yes, yes, I even updated the dreaded Logitech SetPoint and it still won't work. If I find a version of this piece of malware that allows the wireless mouse to do the needful, I'll post anew, because, despite this, a wireless mouse is less hindering.

Thaddy

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 12:27:48 pm »
The setpoint is fully programmable. It maybe the case that the setpoint simply clashes with what Lazarus expects, e.g. what does left-button drag do on the setpoint? re-program left-button-drag.
Ada's daddy wrote this:"Fools are my theme, let satire be my song."

JAMME

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 03:17:12 pm »
Thaddy.
I can not program the left mouse button in SetPoint.

However, I found that my usual habit of preventing stubs from loading at startup in msconfig may have to be put to one side. If I allow SetPoint to load at startup, I am able to fully control objects in Form1.

Oh how I hate things running from startup! That was why I've run this wireless mouse without SetPoint for the last ten years or so. I only loaded it this time to update the driver. But, if needs must then I'll have to allow it if I want this mouse for Lazarus. Goodness what one must do for one's art!

Thanks for the pointer Thaddy.

Recent

Get Lazarus at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Open Hub project report for Lazarus