Author Topic: What's the state of Graphics32 in a cross-platform sense these days?  (Read 616 times)

hayanninja

I remember at one point, it was mentioned as "works well on Windows and Mac, buggy on Linux, doesn't work at all on anything else".

Is this still the case, or has it gotten better? In particular - what's the support like for iOS and Android?

Aside from the lack of hardware acceleration, Graphics32 is pretty much the perfect graphics library for me; however, I'm hoping to eventually release my project on all three major desktop OSes and both major mobile OSes. My project has an abstraction layer between the program code and Graphics32 (which it's currently based around), so moving to another library, or even using different ones on different platforms, is not out of the question. I don't really need pixel-precise operations as such; I just need to be able to (a) put together a larger image (like a map or in-game text box) from segments of other bitmaps, and (b) draw sprites, with alpha blending. I plan on supporting resolutions at least as high as 1080p (possibly even 4K), so hardware acceleration would be great, but I'm not using a huge amount of flashy effects so can probably live without it if need be.

So - is Graphics32 suitable for this kind of cross-platform use these days, or should I start looking at alternatives? (At least for the game itself; the editing tools only need to run on Windows and Mac so I can stick with Graphics32 for them.)

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: What's the state of Graphics32 in a cross-platform sense these days?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:24:03 am »
I haven't tried Graphics32. But on its official website, it seems still being actively maintained. Last update was 6 Dec 2017. You can try to contact the developer for more information.

Alternatively, maybe you can try BGRABitmap. It seems powerful enough for most graphics usages and the developers/contributors are active on this forum.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Graphics_libraries

Thaddy

Re: What's the state of Graphics32 in a cross-platform sense these days?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:25:12 am »
Note it is cross-platform only for Intel/Amd, unlike BGRABitmap etc.
"Logically, no number of positive outcomes at the level of experimental testing can confirm a scientific theory, but a single counterexample is logically decisive."

Recent

Get Lazarus at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Open Hub project report for Lazarus