Recent

Author Topic: Meltdown and Spectre related performance degradation  (Read 16704 times)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: Meltdown and Spectre related performance degradation
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 02:02:43 pm »
That is not excuse.
Compiler actually has nothing to do with system api calls (which is the cause of slowdown), the only reason for it is affected by patch, is that compiler do use api calls where they are not necessary. Compiler's work is to build an executable. I believe fpc slows down that much because its operation is based on files w/o abstraction.
I know you already found Windows Defender to be the reason, but nevertheless: of course a compiler has to do with System API calls. How do you think files are read and written? And in all monolithic OSes (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X to name the popular ones) file accesses always go through a System API and through the kernel.

RAW

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 04:28:52 pm »
„The same procedure as every year/time“ ...  :D

I will never understand why people trust security software from MS or trust security software in general. In my eyes there are two good reasons for this kind of software: Money-Machine and Data-Collector. That doesn't mean software from a different vendor is automagically a better choice, but I don't see why MS should be so trustworthy....

And I will never understand why people think a patch or update after something went wrong should be called good security. Of course it's a nice name and it sounds very good ... (security update).

For Windows 10 the performance penalty will be least significant, for Windows 7 it will be most significant. Some say it is done on purpose by Microsoft to push people still using Windows 7 or 8/8.1 to move to Windows 10. Personally I doubt it is true, but maybe I am naive...
This is funny... would be very convenient for MS ... I think MS would dare to do things like that, but in this particular case I don't know...  :)
It's a known truth that MS did some other things to force people to use Windows 10.

I guess every intelligent being can find out the truth for itself.
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 04:40:32 pm »
„The same procedure as every year/time“ ...  :D
Well, hardware hacks were missing for 30 years (yes, you could actually set a monitor on fire using software only on a 8086 with CGA card: this is not a hoax, we tried...it works...) , these are hardware issues that can be mitigated by software fixes at the expense of some performance. And by now are fixed in design.
It's a known truth that MS did some other things to force people to use Windows 10.

I guess every intelligent being can find out the truth for itself.
Like MS giving it away for free.... 8-) So true, so true... O:-)

Much like many here, and me, forcing you all to upgrade to FPC 3.0.4. and Lazarus 1.8.... Because I refuse to support anything that is not current.. Old stuff collects dust. Dust blurs your sight when it moves...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:51:35 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

RAW

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 04:59:54 pm »
Like MS giving it away for free.... 8-) So true, so true... O:-)
100% correct !
That's one very intelligent way to force people to use Windows 10.

...Because I refuse to support anything that is not current...
You can do whatever you like, but an old OS doesn't automagically mean that your system can be clobbered!
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 05:24:50 pm »
I still support dialects of pascal on older software (TP mode, ISO mode). It is just that the distribution needs to be current. I am running some *very* old hardware at home... O:-) Like a real IBM PC... (Have to start it up: capacitors may be out by now...)
Specialize a type, not a var.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 10:04:29 am »
I will never understand why people trust security software from MS or trust security software in general.

If I have to decide between security software from MS or some third party software I'd definitely use the MS one, because they know their OS and don't do strange hacks to get their software working. It's simply the choice between the lesser of two evils  :P

TinyPortal © 2005-2018