Recent

Author Topic: Game Contest 2018  (Read 110909 times)

Lulu

Re: Game Contest 2018
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2018, 08:20:21 am »
And the red and blue component of the title and buttons colors are swapped. I'll see this problem later because I'm too busy at this time.
Thanks Handoko ! :)
wishing you a nice life

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2018, 02:30:58 pm »
Hello Lulu.

About the font problem, I don't know if I have the latest version but for me it crashes because Font.Name = ''. I solved it by adding a check in GuiFont() and putting 'Arial' in this case.

About the red-blue swap, here is it can be fixed it in oglcTexture.inc (note also the use of LineOrder):
Code: Delphi  [Select][+][-]
  1. function TTextureManager.InitFromBGRABitmap(aIma: TBGRABitmap ): PTexture;
  2. var dup:TBGRABitmap;
  3.  glFormat: GLenum;
  4. begin
  5.  dup := aIma.Duplicate as TBGRABitmap;
  7.  if TBGRAPixel_RGBAOrder then
  8.    glFormat := GL_RGBA
  9.  else
  10.    glFormat := GL_BGRA;
  12.  if dup.LineOrder = riloTopToBottom then
  13.    dup.VerticalFlip;
  15.  Result := AddInstanceToList;
  16.  Result^.ImageWidth := dup.Width;
  17.  Result^.ImageHeight := dup.Height;
  19.  Result^.TextureWidth := dup.Width;
  20.  Result^.TextureHeight := dup.Height;
  22.  Result^.FrameWidth := dup.Width;
  23.  Result^.FrameHeight := dup.Height;
  25.  Result^.FrameCount := 1;
  27.  glGenTextures(1, @Result^.ID );
  28.  BindTexture( Result );
  29.  glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, dup.Width , dup.Height, 0, glFormat, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, dup.Data );
  31.  dup.Free;
  33.  glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE );
  34.  glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE );
  35.  glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR); // Linear Filtering
  36.  glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR); // Linear Filtering
  37. end;

By the way, nice OGLC library  :)

About the font clipping of the title, I am not sure why but it seems the measured text size is not the same as the actual render size.
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2018, 08:52:48 pm »
About the deadline: please, for all participants, if your game is not finished, we can extend deadline a bit more, like I said to @Handoko in another thread.

We want to see these games!

I played good games here, ready to submit to itch.io, game jolt or indie db.

Lulu

« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2018, 05:42:48 pm »
Hello Lulu.

About the font problem, I don't know if I have the latest version but for me it crashes because Font.Name = ''. I solved it by adding a check in GuiFont() and putting 'Arial' in this case.

About the red-blue swap, here is it can be fixed it in oglcTexture.inc (note also the use of LineOrder):
Code: Delphi  [Select]

function TTextureManager.InitFromBGRABitmap(aIma: TBGRABitmap ): PTexture;
    var dup:TBGRABitmap;
     glFormat: GLenum;
    begin
     dup := aIma.Duplicate as TBGRABitmap;

if TBGRAPixel_RGBAOrder then
       glFormat := GL_RGBA
     else
       glFormat := GL_BGRA;

if dup.LineOrder = riloTopToBottom then
       dup.VerticalFlip;

Circular, it's a good idea ! fixed in the code.

By the way, nice OGLC library  :)
Thanks !
wishing you a nice life

lainz

« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2018, 07:55:17 pm »
A bit more than a month to end the contest.

What do you think about the next contest idea:

Create a simulation of a small universe, with creatures that can interact with the things you put in the universe, interact between them, beign capables of learning and making choices.

I know, sounds very tricky =)

Edit: I've added all projects to main page
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,39495.0.html

Start testing them, so you can vote when needed :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:59:37 pm by lainz »

Paul_

« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2018, 06:44:18 pm »
Pffff, l must finish my game in next 14 days before I will go away in summer :)

beign capables of learning and making choices

good idea but Black & White game is certainly beyond my capabilities ;D

lainz

« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2018, 11:10:06 pm »
I've not played it but I remember that game..
 :)
Well. Maybe we can stay with the regular graphics contest next time and let the people do what they want, that worked before. More freedom and learning than that I can't imagine.  :D

Paul_

« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2018, 10:02:40 pm »
Here is my contribution to the contest :)

Pixel Warrior - https://github.com/SlavicGames
https://github.com/SlavicGames/PixelWarrior (Windows binary files included, click on "Clone or download"/"Download ZIP")

Platformer action game with destructible terrain, you can play 2 training missions in campaign. I have no more time now to finish enemy AI and next missions. It's really nice weather so I will make bicycle trip somewhere in Europe :) There are only static targets, when I get back, I'll finish it.

- source code is bit mess, there is no cleanup and I wrote it without any bigger concept. Also lot of stuff needs some polishing.
- controls are descripted in game
- you can use editor for making maps, it's not hard. Just load any mission and check how it's done. Editor controls are descripted in readme on GitHub.
- "graphics" is my work, sounds are somewhere from my HDD and internet

Folders PixelWarrior and PixelWarrior_Editor should be in one folder (+ SFML_units + SFML if someone will check code).

I found one bigger problem. On my PC, sometimes when I run it (with VSync), there is bad tearing. But when I close application and start again it's ok. Same for GAME_Template in csfml-fpc-engine folder. I did not test it on another PC yet.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:59:55 pm by Paul_ »

eny

« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2018, 10:24:52 pm »
Here is my contribution to the contest :)
Had a quick peek; seems some files are missing  ::)
All posts based on: Win10 (Win64); Lazarus 2.0.10 'stable' (x64) unless specified otherwise...

lainz

« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2018, 10:38:20 pm »
Good, I can't beat the first level as always..  :D

Paul_

« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2018, 10:47:47 pm »
Had a quick peek; seems some files are missing  ::)

Ups, I forgot add SFML folder, now it should be complete :) https://github.com/SlavicGames/SFML

Good, I can't beat the first level as always..  :D

Haha, movement is tricky :)

lainz

« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2018, 04:58:56 am »
And the contest is ending. You have only 4 days to submit your game.

Then we can vote the winner.

lainz

« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2018, 01:16:19 am »
This is my game for the contest, I made it just today (I know I said that I will be not participating, but I can't resist!)

https://github.com/lainz/Arkanoid

Made in just 2 hours.

furious programming

« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2018, 05:45:59 pm »
Hello people!

I wanted to join the contest, but I will not be able to finish my project on time. And if a lot is done, there is still quite a lot to do. Therefore, so far I will not publish my project, but only describe what it was meant to be and what it is now, show some pictures and videos. I have been left with no more work for a month, so when I finish it, I will publish the project.

This project was initially meant to be just a simple, small windowed application, allowing to check a certain effect on retro 2D platform games. I'm talking about multi-layered levels where the hero can walk on every layer. Layers were to serve as a visual effect of depth (as a parallax scrolling), as well as a usable surface. This greatly expands the functionality of the levels, giving the opportunity to create not only large but also deep levels, in which movement is more difficult than in the one-layered (levels become a three-dimensional maze).

The parallax scrolling test and the visual effect of the transition between layers was finished long ago. Video presenting such functionality is available here: Deep Platformer – layers test (quality is not excellent—I had a problem with setting the recorder). But this effect could be used somewhere… So I decided to create a simple platformer using the above-described functionality (and written code of course).

Many times I saw newbies trying to create games without additional libraries (in a window environment), without hardware acceleration, so I decided that I would try to make the game only with the help of a standard form and basic bitmap class. The best it can be. I love retro games and consols, especially NES, so I decided to create this demo in a similar way as in the old days. No semi transparency, no floating point numbers to describe motion, game engine based on frame counting, not based on delta, etc. Going to be fun. I took TForm, TBitmap and wrote the whole code from scratch, each piece by myself. I did not design the code, I just opened the IDE and started writing.

I have determined that the game should contain:

- pixelated graphics (very low resolution),
- Limbo-style level design,
- simple animated intro, on the shape of NES games,
- simple menu, waiting for a key press and start the game,
- story consisting of short tutorial and several worlds,
- each world composed of title screen and several levels (each world in different background color),
- levels equipped with gateways to change the layer (to deeper or nearer),
- levels equipped with gateways to change the gravity direction (to up or down),
- hero as a small, animated square, able to walk and jump,
- moving fireflies to collect,
- animated outro and staff screen,
- fully functional debug mode, that allows to check the operation of each part of the game,
- easter eggs and a lot of references to old times,
- and more, more options.

The specifics of this project preclude calling it a full-fledged game, which is why I call it simply a technological demo. The lack of hardware acceleration is a big limitation, so this project will always be just a test. Therefore, the project code is not particularly universal or extensible.

Currently, the intro and main menu are ready, the logic associated with the hero and levels is also finished (hero control, fireflies movement, level and its content rendering, layer and gravity handling, collisions with the environment), as well as a fully functional debug mode, command line support and more. However, the story is not ready yet, neither the target worlds nor levels, nor the code responsible for traveling around them.

Currently, the project consists of 33 units, about 10.000 lines of code. The project also includes four console tools that allows to generate images of level layers, as well as binary files containing data about fonts, levels and title screens. There is still a bit of code to write, create binary files with title screens of the worlds and binaries with levels, fill some text files with information about this project.

Here is a recording containing a intro and menu: Deep Platformer – intro and main menu (menu level is not finished).

Few screenshots in the attachments.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:04:52 pm by furious programming »
Lazarus 3.2 with FPC 3.2.2, Windows 10 — all 64-bit

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

lainz

« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2018, 03:13:33 am »
Looking good, thanks for sharing your progress with us!

The time is over, now we need to vote the best game.

During August you can vote your favorite, but take this into consideration:
- You must download and compile the games, there will be no precompiled binaries, you can judge as well the easy of compiling in your favorite platform, and see the source code, because this is in fact a programming forum and not just the compiled game is what you "must" use to decide.
- There will be no poll this time despite what says the main thread. A simple comment explaining your choice is enough.
- You can vote only one game, but you can give feedback to the other games. If you mention more than one project, the vote that will count is of the first mentioned game or the one you indicate as the winner.
- Anyone can vote.
- Participants can only give feedback to the other games.

The list with the 7 projects is in the main thread, that has a link to the post where the game was published.

Feel free to discuss any inconvenience when compiling or glitches, bugs, anything.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018