Recent

Author Topic: Cocoa test and little bug  (Read 3456 times)

xinyiman

• Lazarus and Free Pascal italian community
Cocoa test and little bug
« on: July 12, 2018, 11:51:53 am »
Hello, I was doing tests with the cocoa trunk last night and I ran into a bug ?!

If you run the test program with carbon you will see that when you click on the button button2 and then look in tabsheet3 in addition to the TStringGrid you will see a button on the bottom left. In the cocoa version instead the stringgrid goes beyond the space dedicated to it and pushes the button lower. It seems that it does not correctly size things in the TabSheet. Has anyone already noticed the thing? Moreover if I open the source with cocoa and then again with carbon it loses the captions of the tabsheets. Do you know why?

Thank you
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac
Lazarus: 2.1.0
FPC: 3.3.1

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
Re: Cocoa test and little bug
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:52:35 pm »
Are you using 1.8.0 or trunk?

xinyiman

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 01:43:10 pm »
Trunk 1.8.4. View attachment
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac

Phil

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:08:04 pm »
Trunk 1.8.4. View attachment

You need to compile source from SVN trunk, version 1.9.0.

xinyiman

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 02:12:47 pm »
Sorry but I pressed trunk from fpcupdeluxe. Should not you install the trunk, then the 1.9? I just tried again and installed the 1.8.4
So now I try to install 1.9 with which version of fpc?
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac

Phil

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 02:16:27 pm »
Sorry but I pressed trunk from fpcupdeluxe. Should not you install the trunk, then the 1.9? I just tried again and installed the 1.8.4
So now I try to install 1.9 with which version of fpc?

"Trunk" in this context usually refers to the latest source code in the Subversion repository. Not sure what fpcupdeluxe is referring to - I don't use fpcupdeluxe.

You can use the current stable FPC, 3.0.4, which you probably already have installed.

xinyiman

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 04:16:05 pm »
with 1.9 version if i open lazarus i have always a problem: arithmetic overflow!

:-[ :-[ :o
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac

Phil

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 04:19:09 pm »
with 1.9 version if i open lazarus i have always a problem: arithmetic overflow!

I don't see that problem here, but I believe others have. See recent bug report(s).

For now, just compile your test apps with lazbuild rather than interactively in Laz IDE.

https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/UsingCocoaFromTrunk.html

You can also compile and debug a Laz Cocoa app in Xcode:

https://macpgmr.github.io/ObjP/ProjectXC.html

xinyiman

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 04:27:59 pm »
I already knew the way you had told me more than a month ago. But I was interested in seeing if it was feasible to use IDE. I would like to understand when lazarus cocoa can be used successfully in a production environment.
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac

Phil

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 04:34:40 pm »
I already knew the way you had told me more than a month ago. But I was interested in seeing if it was feasible to use IDE. I would like to understand when lazarus cocoa can be used successfully in a production environment.

Even if that crash were fixed there are still quite a few things awry with the Laz IDE with Cocoa. However, you can still use the Carbon based IDE and compile for Cocoa -- you might be much less likely to hit the problems in your own code. Laz IDE is probably a fairly extreme example and thus a good test for final suitability, but most apps are not that complicated.

I don't do desktop app development anymore, so Laz and Cocoa widgetset are kind of irrelevant to me, but I do have an old app that I still compile with Cocoa just to check the widgetset's status. The app is not huge, about 15 forms and maybe 25K lines -- it looks pretty good with the except of scroll bars, which have problems still. A number of visual quirks as well, but no showstopper bugs or crashes at all anymore.

Last winter I predicted 1-2 years until a stable Cocoa widgetset. However, that doesn't mean that the widgetset isn't usable. Just be sure to test everything in your app thoroughly.

MISV

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 03:09:42 pm »
And report every bug you can find and reproduce. I myself have reported some bugs - and they are actually pretty quickly fixed (like within a few days) if given a good bug report

TinyPortal © 2005-2018