Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Did anyone install the latest Lazaru 1.8 on ubuntu 16.04?  (Read 11190 times)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: Did anyone install the latest Lazaru 1.8 on ubuntu 16.04?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 08:50:53 pm »
This whole thread raises one question to my mind: why you people use Ubuntu if things are so difficult with it?
If you have tested many alternatives and then decided Ubuntu is the best, then ok, keep using it.
However if you use it only because it happened to be cool and popular some 15 years ago, please check the alternatives.
Linux distros have advanced in 15 years.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 09:29:46 pm »
Installed with no problems at all :)

Thanks Handoko for his help.

Ubuntu 17.10.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 12:55:56 pm »
@Mr.Paul

I managed to install Lazarus 1.8.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit LTS, read more here:
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,39281.msg269112.html#msg269112

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 01:54:19 pm »
You should use fpcupdeluxe and you will not have a problem. Use this method until someone will decide to provide an snap package for it. I can not do it. ;)

Chronos

• PascalClassLibrary
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 04:10:44 pm »
This whole thread raises one question to my mind: why you people use Ubuntu if things are so difficult with it?
If you have tested many alternatives and then decided Ubuntu is the best, then ok, keep using it.
However if you use it only because it happened to be cool and popular some 15 years ago, please check the alternatives.
Linux distros have advanced in 15 years.

Is there any Linux distribution where using Lazarus+FPC is not painful experience? Basically concept of most of common distributions how to provide applications is bad. Its kind of selfish. We creators of distribution decide which applications will be packed in our repository. And all other applications distributed in different way will be lot more complicated. Why it can't work simply as on other platforms like Windows or Android? OS have API and applications are made to support that API. Under Linux distributions applications need to support lot more than just API. For example if I use launchpad.net to let my application be built for multiple versions of Ubuntu then I can't simply say to use Lazarus 1.8.0 stable because for each Ubuntu version I can just use apt-get install lazarus-ide and use version which was packed for that particular Ubuntu version. So I need to support older Lazarus version because newer one was not available in lets say Ubuntu 16.04 and newer won't be packed. And because somebody decided to pack Lazarus 1.8.0 RC version for Ubuntu then now I can't compile application for released 1.8.0 because some code is missing like TControl.Scale96ToScreen method. So I would say I will just install Lazarus 1.8.0 stable to my Ubuntu. But there isn't simple one file installation of Lazarus for Ubuntu similar to Windows installer. Because somebody decided to split Lazarus, LCL, FPC and FCL to several DEB packages. Also we can simply install multiple Lazarus instances under Windows simply to separate directories but thats not the way how Linux works. They really want to put files to lots of places in your filesystem so you can't simply install multiple instances. And snaps and flatpack may be way to go but they have also its drawbacks.
fpcup and similar "compile it yourself" tools are really not solution. We expect to just install it and use it.

So question is: Is there such Linux distributions with modern concepts where it is possible simply to install latests Lazarus release?

Mr.Paul

• 一次编写,到处编译
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 05:38:46 pm »
fpcup and similar "compile it yourself" tools are really not solution. We expect to just install it and use it.

So question is: Is there such Linux distributions with modern concepts where it is possible simply to install latests Lazarus release?
Dear Chronos, I understand your mood very well. Like you, I expect the Linux desktop software to be easier to install.

However, the reality is very skinny, most Linux distributions do not get 'out-of-the-box', so Lazarus wants to do 'out-of-the-box' on Linux, which of course will be one Difficult things, like the tower of the floating sand.

Compared to other large software, Lazarus Linux installation has been very simple, only three deb files. I found that only Firefox can do it easier, it can run by unzipping it. In the Lazarus version 1.6.x era, nothing went wrong. This 1.8.0 error in ubuntu1604 has been rapidly updated.

I find it hard to help the Lazarus development team, so I'm still willing to be patient.

Mr.Paul

• 一次编写,到处编译
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 05:45:19 pm »
I managed to install Lazarus 1.8.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit LTS, read more here:
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,39281.msg269112.html#msg269112
Thanks Handoko, I've seen your successful experiment, that's good news.

I noticed that the three deb packages on the SF.net site have been updated again. E.g:
fpc_3.0.4-1_amd64.deb <- old
fpc_3.0.4-2_amd64.deb <- now!

In simple terms, I also succeeded!  Cheers!   :D

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 05:46:19 pm »
Great to know about it. :D

TinyPortal © 2005-2018