Recent

Author Topic: Fatal: illegal character "'($C2)  (Read 13039 times)

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
Re: Fatal: illegal character "'($C2)
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 03:49:58 pm »
On my PowerBook, Mac OS 10.11.5,  running Ubuntu 16.04 LT on VirtualBox,  I can not reproduce the error.

Maybe a keyboard malfunction?
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 04:08:00 pm »
Maybe a keyboard malfunction?

The OP said the problem only happens when running Lazarus on his Mac, not other software. So it should not be hardware problem.

@ThierryJ
Can you find another Mac machine (maybe borrow from your friend) and test on it?

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 04:38:58 pm »
@Thierry
I can not reproduce it on my Mac mini. That is unless I set an A circonflex in the sourcecode on purpose.
The compiler gives me the EXACT line and the EXACT position where I put it (as I wrote before).
Send us a screenshot of what the compiler output is.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

engkin

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 05:56:46 pm »
@Thaddy, try Option+Space

ThierryJ

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 06:56:40 pm »
@mercurhyo : I have already described it. The behavior is the same.
@Thaddy : I have joined a pdf with screen copies of the problem with a previous message.
@Handoko : You are right. I just checked with another, older Apple keyboard, the problem is the same.

In the mean time I have done another test : I have created a fresh Writer document with LibreOffice and put inside the magical phrase, For i := 0 To High(toto) Do something.
Than I have opened the document package, unpacked the file content.xml and fed it to ghex. Everything is perfect, the spaces are 32...

Than I have restarted a new Lazarus project, a new Unit with a single Class. The problem occurred only once right after the "=" in TMyClass = Class...
Than I have created another Class, and all the spaces following = have been replaced.
The attached file shows this.

Finally I have tried to write the same "Class" in a Windows 10 Virtual Machine, and it works...

To be short, the conflict may be with Lazarus running on Debian with a Swiss French keyboard. But I cannot investigate further, I don't have the skills to do it by myself.

Any idea welcome, thanks all for your time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018