Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus Release 1.8 (with FPC 3.0.4)  (Read 121224 times)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: Lazarus Release 1.8 (with FPC 3.0.4)
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2017, 02:51:14 pm »
My system is Debian Linux and I'm currently using 1.6.4 which I installed using the debs from the previous release. Should I remove these packages before installing the new debs?
You should uninstall the old version to be on the safe side. I am not sure how the Debian package system does the update.
Anyway, some people get errors like "Cannot find unit Interfaces" which are caused by mixing sources or compiled .ppu files from different versions.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2017, 03:59:46 pm »
sudo apt-get purge fpc
sudo apt-get purge lazarus
sudo apt-get remove /etc/fpc.cfg  // this one must be done by hand because the package manager forgot about it...
sudo apt-get autoremove

Then install....

You may ave to re-install some dependencies, or skip autoremove.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:04:07 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

PeterX

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2017, 09:09:14 pm »
Wow, I can confirm that the 1.8 release can compile a working VST Plugin - yeah !!!

(Doesn't draw jet, but this should not be that difficult I hope ...)

=> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Bounties#Fixing_bug_.237182_Problems_using_LCL_in_DLL_-_.24100
usually using latest Lazarus release version with Windows 10

userx-bw

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 03:12:14 pm »
I HAD 1.8 installed, it compiles slowly, then the compiled basic default window takes forever to show up after being compiled. I do not remember Lazarus being that slow.

I went into the setting to eliminate the windows that ( i do not know what names they were given) one uses to work on when running, and all I seen was get rid of IDE when running, so I had to use that, when I selected it, then ran the default window to get a look see, the IDE and everything associated to it went  crazy. cycling opening and closing, minimize restore, if you like. it wasn't until I opened a terminal to kill Lazarus to stop it from doing that is when it stopped doing that.  I guess it didn't want to die.

Slackware 14.2 Lazarus 1.8 and the needed fpc fpc-source. I just removed it, and am installing the later one as I type this. Just felt obligated to tell you people at Lazarus this information. As I removed it and no longer am not going to use it. I did not submit a bug report because I will not be able to open it up and do whatever I might need to do so I can get a ideal what to write up on it other than what I already did.

My Finished Projects
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mhsetroot/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmhsetrootfreepascalfrontend/

HP Elitetbook 6930p Dual Core Intel vPro 2.66 gHz
VOID (Linux) 64bit

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2017, 03:21:22 pm »
I HAD 1.8 installed, it compiles slowly, then the compiled basic default window takes forever to show up after being compiled. I do not remember Lazarus being that slow.
Usually just first time use. After that you should not notice any difference.
Specialize a type, not a var.

userx-bw

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2017, 03:25:48 pm »
Usually just first time use. After that you should not notice any difference.

it's more that other problem, the "slowness" is mostly just me not remembering How Lazarus does that compiling speed. the cycling of the IDE and everything while running is the real buggy problem. it should not do that. it should just stay minimized while running the project, and when it stops running go back to the state it was in instead of cycling open close the eitire time.
My Finished Projects

VOID (Linux) 64bit

molly

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2017, 03:36:29 pm »
... , the "slowness" is mostly just me not remembering How Lazarus does that compiling speed.
Most basic used classes/components are build/compiled on the first compilation run, sometimes resulting in an very annoying slowness (same happens when you switch widgetset/target and recompile your project for the first time). Once compiled things go must faster. Also the OS usually caches things better the longer you use lazarus.

Unfortunately I have no experience with the other issue...

BeanzMaster

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2017, 10:00:21 pm »

Hello it seems with Linux Lazarus installation have some problems

Message translated from https://www.developpez.net/forums/d1786555/autres-langages/pascal/lazarus/l-edi-lazarus-1-8-disponible-retard-fort-serieuses-ameliorations/#post9840211

I can not run this version 1.8 on Linux, and I have the same problem with Mageia 64 bit (installed with RPM packages) and with Mint 64 bit (DEB packages): link editing is not possible ( I checked the platform options, etc.).

If I install FPC 3.0.4 alone, downloaded on freepascal.org, compiling and linking is done worry free.
If I add the downloaded Lazarus 1.8.0 package to SourceForge, then the expected version of FPC is not the right one (it wants 3.0.4 release 1). OK, let's give him the right version. I uninstall version 3.0.4.

I'm now installing version 3.0.4.1 alone, available with Lazarus 1.8: link editing does not work - with a very terse error message 'Error while linking'. Lazarus installs without problems later, but hey without being able to edit the links, I'm stuck.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2017, 10:25:11 pm »
BeanzMaster, forget the packages. After installing FPC, checkout Lazarus sources from SVN fixes_1_8 branch and build with "make".
My experience also is that installing packages outside the distro's repository often breaks something.
Either bypass the package system or use a rolling distro which has recent versions of everything.
I can recommend Manjaro from my experience.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

userx-bw

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2017, 12:41:12 am »
... , the "slowness" is mostly just me not remembering How Lazarus does that compiling speed.
Most basic used classes/components are build/compiled on the first compilation run, sometimes resulting in an very annoying slowness (same happens when you switch widgetset/target and recompile your project for the first time). Once compiled things go must faster. Also the OS usually caches things better the longer you use lazarus.

Unfortunately I have no experience with the other issue...

this is on Slackware 14.2 so it is not a over night copy of Linux this disto is rather standard and it just flips out when I select hide IDE windows on run.
My Finished Projects

VOID (Linux) 64bit

BeanzMaster

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:00 pm »
BeanzMaster, forget the packages. After installing FPC, checkout Lazarus sources from SVN fixes_1_8 branch and build with "make".
My experience also is that installing packages outside the distro's repository often breaks something.
Either bypass the package system or use a rolling distro which has recent versions of everything.
I can recommend Manjaro from my experience.

Thanks JuhaManninen i'm transmitting your answer  :)

Elfrom

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2017, 05:57:28 pm »
Thanks a milion
I just have to say how much i love version 1.8.
With the Online Package Manager, it's SO cool.

Love it, thanks Lazarus team

BeanzMaster

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2017, 10:37:40 pm »
Hi to all for install Lazarus from Deb or Rpm package with linux. It seem the easy and quick way is :

- Install FPC from .deb or .rpm and change nothing
- Reinstall FPC from fpc-3.0.4.x86_64-linux.tar
  - Download here :  https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Linux/3.0.4
  - Decompress then
    - cd fpc-3.0.4.x86_64-linux/
    - sudo ./install.sh
- install fpc_src from .deb or .rpm
- install lazarus from .deb or .rpm

This method was tested  with Mint/Mint cinnamon,  Mageia 64 bits

It's recommended to clean previous version of lazarus and fpc before like in some post above

sudo apt-get purge fpc
sudo apt-get remove /etc/fpc.cfg // this one must be done by hand because the package manager forgot about it...
sudo apt-get autoremove

and Install..this second method has been tested with Ubuntu 32 bits

Hope this help someone

Cheers

apeoperaio

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2017, 01:30:21 pm »
I am trying to update to lazarus 1.8 on my OSX (I was using 1.6.4).
I downloaded and installed, fpc, fpc src and lazarus.
First run is ok.
Then if I recompile lazarus (clean build all) everything seems to be ok but if I try to start lazarus I got an error message. See message1. I close the message try to restart again lazarus and I got the message2.

What is going wrong?

segfault

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2017, 03:40:28 pm »
sudo apt-get purge fpc
sudo apt-get remove /etc/fpc.cfg  // this one must be done by hand because the package manager forgot about it...
sudo apt-get autoremove

Then install....

You may ave to re-install some dependencies, or skip autoremove.

Thanks, all went well except I had to also remove the config file from my .home directory (I had a message on startup telling me the system contained a previous version of Lazarus).

Very nice release!  :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018