Recent

Author Topic: mORMot fpc wiki entry vandalised?  (Read 4750 times)

Noodly

mORMot fpc wiki entry vandalised?
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:44:21 am »
I was looking for background information on mORMot and found this wiki entry which was either created to mock it or the original has been vandalised: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Mormot

For example:
mORMot : Synopse mORMot is an Open Source Client-Server ORM SOA MVC framework for FPC, targeting Win/Linux for the server, and any platform for clients (including mobile or AJAX). In other words, nobody knows what it is supposed to be but a heap of gibberish.
Windows 10 Home, Lazarus 2.02 (svn 60954), FPC 3.04

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: mORMot fpc wiki entry vandalised?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:05:04 pm »
I was looking for background information on mORMot and found this wiki entry which was either created to mock it or the original has been vandalised: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Mormot
I can see in the "History" tab :
Code: [Select]
(cur | prev) 22:37, 17 October 2017‎ Mai (Talk | contribs)‎ m . . (1,207 bytes) (+6)‎
(cur | prev) 22:37, 17 October 2017‎ Mai (Talk | contribs)‎ m . . (1,201 bytes) (+11)‎
(cur | prev) 22:23, 17 October 2017‎ Mai (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (1,190 bytes) (-11)‎
(cur | prev) 22:22, 17 October 2017‎ Mai (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (1,201 bytes) (+1,201)‎ . . (Created page with "mORMot : Synopse mORMot is an Open Source Client-Server ORM SOA MVC framework for FPC, targeting Win/Linux for the server, and any platform for clients (including mobile or AJ...")
So, it is from the infamous Mai.
It is not nice to pollute the wiki like that. Many other pages were already cleaned after him. What to do? :(
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Noodly

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:31:45 pm »
So, it is from the infamous Mai.
It is not nice to pollute the wiki like that. Many other pages were already cleaned after him. What to do? :(

Mai appears to be a current user with 133 posts up until 2 days ago. Why wasn't he warned then suspended then banned for persistent misbehaviour?

I know he could create a new "anonymous" user, so, for example, is it possible to restrict wiki editing to full members and above. I can see Mai is currently a full member, but if he has to start again and post 100 times before he can edit the wiki then it might dissuade him from being disruptive when he regains the right.

Of course if he is pig-headed then it is difficult to deal with.

tudi_x

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 01:10:55 pm »
i think access to wiki editing needs to be restricted and granted by the moderators based on a respectful attitude to the community.
how many unique users modified the wiki in last 12 months?
Lazarus 2.0.2 64b on Debian LXDE 10

Noodly

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
i think access to wiki editing needs to be restricted and granted by the moderators based on a respectful attitude to the community.
That's a better solution.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:35:25 pm »

The wiki is a quick info dump place. Creating such restriction will only duplicate the documentation effort and kill the advantage (if any).

tudi_x

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 01:41:34 pm »
@marcov:
yes, but you saw what happened with user mai. do you prefer that?

you can just open the last users that updated with no issues in last 12 months and absorb the delta afterwards. delta could be small.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:43:19 pm by tudi_x »
Lazarus 2.0.2 64b on Debian LXDE 10

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 01:44:38 pm »
Mai appears to be a current user with 133 posts up until 2 days ago. Why wasn't he warned then suspended then banned for persistent misbehaviour?
He apparently has changed his attitude. The anti-FPC and anti-Lazarus campaign happened last September - October, both in forum and in wiki. Then I guess he learned to use FPC and Lazarus and stopped it. So, the situation is not acute any more.
I only wonder how many wiki pages still have disinformation.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 01:47:30 pm »
@marcov:
yes, but you saw what happened with user mai. do you prefer that?

It's a trade-off. Closing the wiki, many first time posters (e.g. delphi package maintainers working on dual maintenance) are new. 

Also there is a significant implementation and adminstrative burden. More than actually cleaning up after the Mais of the world.

To be honest, I think that solution is not realistic for the latter reasons alone.

you can just open the last users that updated with no issues in last 12 months and absorb the delta afterwards. delta could be small.

Maybe you have the wiki in higher regard than me. IMHO it is a dumping ground till it gets into the proper documentation, and content, since generally unchecked should be taken with a pinch of salt anyway.

Noodly

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:35:46 pm »
He apparently has changed his attitude. The anti-FPC and anti-Lazarus campaign happened last September - October, both in forum and in wiki. Then I guess he learned to use FPC and Lazarus and stopped it. So, the situation is not acute any more.
I only wonder how many wiki pages still have disinformation.

I can see he made 388 edits between 5th September (which is the earliest I can search) and 31st October. I'll have a look through them when I get time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:38:35 pm by Noodly »

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 10:24:26 pm »
Why wasn't he warned then suspended then banned for persistent misbehaviour?

I warned him, and his later entries were more on target then.

Bart

Phil

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 12:39:54 am »
Maybe you have the wiki in higher regard than me. IMHO it is a dumping ground till it gets into the proper documentation, and content, since generally unchecked should be taken with a pinch of salt anyway.

I would tend to agree. An uncurated wiki is basically a landfill. No doubt some usable bits here and there, like in any dump, but not a good place to store something nice.

The fact that anyone can slash away at your prose should be the first clue that this type of wiki is a place to avoid. The edits can be malicious or eccentric, or just from a different point of view or by someone whose writing or typing skills are deficient. Then multiply by multiple editors.

Usually a person who does serious documentation is either the author or an expert in the topic at hand, so it seems unlikely that allowing others to edit it would be a good idea. Would you let someone edit your e-mails?

A solution is just to create a github Web page or get a free WordPress account and create your documentation there in peace, adding a link to it from the Lazarus wiki. Sure, these can become orphaned, but so can wiki pages if no one knowledgeable or interested edits them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018