Recent

Author Topic: FPC 3.0.4 release  (Read 5319 times)

RayoGlauco

• Beers: 1567
FPC 3.0.4 release
« on: November 23, 2017, 10:16:13 am »
Hello,

I would like to know when the FPC 3.0.4 version is expected to be released. Does anyone know?

Thanks!   :)
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: FPC 3.0.4 release
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:31:21 am »
The usual answer is: when it is ready.....
The compiler guys know how to and when to release....
That's an asset. If you are impatient enough, use fixes or trunk.
Specialize a type, not a var.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 11:50:05 am »
The usual answer is: when it is ready.....
Thaddy, it is ready!
3.0.4 was tagged in SVN already some time ago. It only lacks building the release packages.

The compiler guys know how to and when to release....
I am not sure about that any more. Lack of time and/or motivation now delays the release. It is understandable in a FOSS project but causes a real problem nevertheless.
Now the problem got emphasized because Lazarus project decided to release version 1.8 with FPC 3.0.4. It was a reasonable decision because 3.0.4 fixes some serious bugs and it was expected to be out already.
I would like to see Lazarus 1.8 release before Christmas which is ~1 month from now. It means FPC 3.0.4 should be released within 3 weeks. Will it happen?

This is a serious problem also because the project is so popular. If it had 10 or 20 geek users, everybody could build from source and be happy.
Now it has tens of thousands of users. Releases are important!
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Thaddy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:11:32 pm »
The code may be ready, but the release is not. Lazarus releases are often too soon. FPC releases are very cautiously build. I never saw a lack of motivation....And I recently spoke to some.
If my health would be OK I would be willing to help. As it stands: it is too unreliable to do so (not really something that can't be fixed, btw).

hnb

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 12:34:22 pm »
I am not sure about that any more. Lack of time and/or motivation now delays the release. It is understandable in a FOSS project but causes a real problem nevertheless.
Now the problem got emphasized because Lazarus project decided to release version 1.8 with FPC 3.0.4. It was a reasonable decision because 3.0.4 fixes some serious bugs and it was expected to be out already.
I would like to see Lazarus 1.8 release before Christmas which is ~1 month from now. It means FPC 3.0.4 should be released within 3 weeks. Will it happen?

This is a serious problem also because the project is so popular. If it had 10 or 20 geek users, everybody could build from source and be happy.

we are waiting for 3.0.4 dmgs files for mac, I will ask for this again.
Checkout NewPascal initiative and donate beer - ready to use tuned FPC compiler + Lazarus for mORMot project

best regards,
Maciej Izak

Thaddy

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 12:39:26 pm »

we are waiting for 3.0.4 dmgs files for mac, I will ask for this again.
Maciej, this was discussed a couple of weeks ago (at a meeting) and seems the reason there is no release yet.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 03:36:57 pm »
Maciej is right.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018