Recent

Author Topic: 1.8.0RC5 wiped my code  (Read 4821 times)

MikeFinch

1.8.0RC5 wiped my code
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:10:15 am »
I thought I would install 1.8.0RC5, since I was hoping for improvements over 1.6.4 since I was having a problem.
Of course I removed 1.6.4 first.
I was delighted that RC5 ran my program beautifully although I was surprised that my program was already waiting in the first boot of RC5.
So -- to backup the working code. I then, thoughtlessly, deleted the old backups only to go back to the program's folder to discover that it had completely vanished!
Thanks Lazarus. This seems to be a SERIOUS PROBLEM!! It could hardly be a worse situation. Why did it happen?
Mike Finch. https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/Smileys/ExcellentSmileys1/angry2.gif

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: 1.8.0RC5 wiped my code
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:59:12 am »
I'm sorry to hear about it.

It is really a serious problem. Can you please explain more detail step-by-step how to reproduce the problem.

I frequently uninstall/reinstall different versions of Lazarus/FPC manually to try the RC and stable releases. Never have any serious issue so far.

guest58172

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:12:12 am »
Although there might be an issue, in which case you have to report properly in Mantis, i'd like to say

Use git, god damn it.

Akira1364

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 06:22:00 am »
Where were you storing the project files relative to the Lazarus root directory, exactly? Personally I have all my projects in a source-controlled subdirectory of My Documents (I'm on Windows obviously) that's literally just called "Lazarus Stuff", and I don't really see what situation could lead to this even without backups, as the folder is entirely unrelated to any of the folders used by the IDE by default.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:45:20 am »
So -- to backup the working code. I then, thoughtlessly, deleted the old backups only to go back to the program's folder to discover that it had completely vanished!
Thanks Lazarus. This seems to be a SERIOUS PROBLEM!! It could hardly be a worse situation. Why did it happen?
I am also interested why. Can you please give steps to reproduce.

To make a whole project folder vanish using Lazarus IDE is theoretically possible with the "Clean Directory ..." window.
Even then you must change the default filters.
Now it removes "*.(bak|ppu|ppl|o|or|a|so|dll)".
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:09:16 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

MikeFinch

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 09:43:38 pm »
I've managed to get a good night's sleep!
I can reconstruct the code from an earlier backup but utterly tedious of course.
I thought using GIT was for multiple authors on the one project. I'm a lone programmer so shouldn't need that sophistication - should I?
I've searched vainly for the lost folder to no avail (of course).
It has occurred to me that it might have been a fault with Dolphin (the file manager). I am using Mageia 6. Could it have been the OS's interaction with Lazarus somehow (I'm not a technical whizz kid)?
Anyway I have no option but to do the second sentence.
Is the fact that my program appeared straightaway in the Editor when I started the new Lazarus install of relevance?
IT WAS/IS A NIGHTMARE scenario which I hope never happens again. I was of course slack in not backing up immediately prior to the upgrade. A lesson learned.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:59:49 pm »
I thought using GIT was for multiple authors on the one project.

No, using a version control system just makes your life that much easier.
Just do yourself a favour.

I'm a lone programmer so shouldn't need that sophistication - should I?

So am I, but I do have an svn repository on SourceForge.

It's also ver usefull if you develop on multiple (virtual) machines.

(And it serves as a (second) backup).

Bart

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:40:20 am »
Is the fact that my program appeared straightaway in the Editor when I started the new Lazarus install of relevance?

That would be normal.

When starting Lazarus, it opens the project that was open when Lazarus was last closed. (There is a setting to disable that).
This happens across versions too.

When you update Lazarus, it keeps all your config (search for primary-config-path). That is unless you tell the installer (windows installer) to clear your conf.
Since the config is kept, Lazarus still knows what project was last open.

-----------------------------------
Anyway there is still nothing that would give any clue as to what may have happened to your files.

Please also indicate, if any folders are/were symlinks, or had symlinks to them (even if the IDE did not know the symlinks)

1) your OS ?
2) the folder in which you installed lazarus?
3) the upgrade went into the same folder?
4) the folder in which your project was?
5) "wiped": The files were
 a) still there, but empty
 b) deleted, but the folder was still there
 c) the entire folder was deleted
6) Do your projects have a "bak" folder maintained by the IDE? If so what happened to that?

7)
a) How did you back it up? where to?
b) What happened to that backup?

MikeFinch

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:12:37 am »
Martin_fr and all : this morning I tried to send a reply to Martin_fr and was told I was not authorised (or something like that).
When I tried again I was told that I had already sent it!! This was after a long pause when I had been searching for a Konsole command (unsuccessfully). I can see no evidence that I have sent the message.
I was still logged in despite the lengthy pause (half-an-hour?).
However after an experience a few moment's ago I am now convinced (see later) that my Mageia 6 file manager (dolphin) is responsible for the problem.
WHAT HAPPENED
I highlighted the folder in my home directory that I wanted to backup. I then highlighted the old backup in my external hard drive that I now wanted to delete.
To do that I unhighlighted the newer version of the folder in my home directory. And clicked delete for the old Ext HD folder.

BOTH FOLDERS VANISHED!!!!!!!!

I actually have the sneaky feeling that I deleted the folder in two identical copies of my home directory (split window). Because the file is STILL on my Ext HD. This perfectly duplicates the scenario I had yesterday.
It could be that I am doing things in too much of a rush and it is all my fault, not Dolphin's. I'm not sure though. The question arises : why apparently is the second window duplicating the first when I clicked for the Ext HD??
I will simply have to quietly observe what I am doing when I use Dolphin, before bothering Mageia with what may be "fake news"!
Apologies for inconveniencing you Laz Pas devotees!

I must contact Mageia 6 ASAP about this problem. It has now happened twice, now. Fortuna

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:58:20 am »
After pressing Delete the files went to KDE's trashcan. They are easy to restore.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018