Recent

Author Topic: Using Lazarus via Amazon EC2 or other cloud services?  (Read 4346 times)

stem

Using Lazarus via Amazon EC2 or other cloud services?
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:44:10 pm »
Hi,

I'm using Lazarus here at home at my stationary machine (Windows 7).

I was just wondering if it would be useful to have Lazarus running on a virtual machine in the cloud, so that you could connect to that machine with RDP and go on coding from everywhere in the world, having every time the same environment with all your other software you need etc.

Does anyone have experience with cloud services like Amazon EC2? Does my idea make sense?

(I have absolutely no experience with cloud computing.)

Thank you!

stem

Phil

Re: Using Lazarus via Amazon EC2 or other cloud services?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:46 pm »
Does anyone have experience with cloud services like Amazon EC2? Does my idea make sense?

Yes, you can.

https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/PascalDynLibs_4.html

stem

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 10:13:07 pm »
Thank you for the link!

P.S. Amazon also offers Linux Mint.

stem

soerensen3

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:27:23 am »
If you use pass the -x parameter for ssh you can even run Lazarus, that is if X is installed on the VM.
This will run Lazarus like it was running on your computer, but depending on the internet connection it will probably be a bit delayed. It can be useful to use the -Y parameter instead which does the same but with compression.
Lazarus 1.9 with FPC 3.0.4
Target: Manjaro Linux 64 Bit (4.9.68-1-MANJARO)

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 03:25:14 am »
Well, yes it is possible, but usefulness depends on a couple of factors. Without decent internet connection, delays would be significant and might be annoying. GUI adds burden to data that must be sent over the network. I prefer having Lazarus locally installed, but the projects are saved in a mounted remote storage. AWS S3 can be mounted locally using the S3FS driver or you can make one (non-S3 protocol) yourself using whatever you want inside a VM.

stem

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:49:04 am »
I prefer having Lazarus locally installed, but the projects are saved in a mounted remote storage. AWS S3 can be mounted locally using the S3FS driver or you can make one (non-S3 protocol) yourself using whatever you want inside a VM.

That sounds interesting. What is the configuration? Is there a always a full sync (i.e. also of new compiled executables) or do you only sync the source files?

stem

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 06:07:45 pm »
That sounds interesting. What is the configuration? Is there a always a full sync (i.e. also of new compiled executables) or do you only sync the source files?
You might want to read https://github.com/s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse. I haven't used this myself, what I said is just an idea, so I don't know how it works, but I'm guessing that it will work like the google drive integration.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018