Forum > Windows

Universal Sort in Lazarus / Freepascal

(1/4) > >>

ratmalwer:
Hello

I was searching the net for an universal-sort for an array of records or some universal sort with tha ability to handle: miltiple fields, ASC /DESC, casesensitiity, and Unicode (UTF8)-support.

I did not find it so I started programming my own (code for a shellsort below - not finished but working fine).

Now I read in a old article: there are plenty or sortfunctions in Freepascal.

What did I miss??? Where is this documentation I did not find?

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---function Compare(const ARecord1, ARecord2:TArrayA):Integer;// EQ = 0 , GR = 1 , LESS = -1 // Tipp: für DESC  einfach das Result umkehren... ungetestet  mk.// Strings ev mit UTF8Compare vergleichen// Upper / Lowercase durchdenken und implementieren  begin   Result := 0;  // FELD 1  Result := UTF8CompareStr(Uppercase(ARecord1.String5),uppercase(Arecord2.string5));  if Result = 0 then  begin     if ARecord1.String5 < ARecord2.string5 then     begin        Result := -1     end else     // FELD 2     begin         if ARecord1.Field2 > Arecord2.Field2 then        begin           Result := 1;        end else        begin           if ARecord1.Field2 < ARecord2.Field2 then           begin              Result := -1           end else           // FELD 3           begin               if ARecord1.Field3 > Arecord2.Field3 then              begin                 Result := 1;              end else              begin                 if ARecord1.Field3 < ARecord2.Field3 then                 begin                    Result := -1                 end else                 // FELD 4 .....                 begin                     // ...... usw....                 end;              end;            end;        end;       end;  end;end; procedure qsort_2(lower,upper :integer);var left, right :integer;pivot :TArrayA;temp : TArrayA;begin    pivot:= ArrayA[(lower + upper) div 2];   //Pivot in mitte setzen    left := lower;    right := upper;     while left<=right do    begin         while Compare(ArrayA[left],pivot) = -1 do left := left+1;    // kleiner: left erhöhen wenn bereits geordnet         while Compare(ArrayA[right],pivot) = 1 do right := right-1;  // grösser: right vermindern wenn bereits geordnet         if left<=right then                                          // dies vergleicht den index aber nicht den Wert!           begin             //SWAP Record             temp := ArrayA[left];             ArrayA[left] := ArrayA[right];             ArrayA[right] := temp;             left:=left+1;             right:=right-1           end;    end;    if right>lower then qsort_2(lower,right); { Sort the LEFT  part }    if upper>left  then qsort_2(left ,upper); { Sort the RIGHT part }end;
And a extraquestion:
Is there a function-summary with brief examples like in php-manual somewhere? At the moment I program by try and error and I am a bit tired to check each found functions to detrermie what the returnvalues could be.

marcov:
Some points wrt collection sorting:

- Afaik TArray<> has a sort routine. At least in Delphi it does. Might be only in FPC trunk  though. (packages/rtl-generics)
- TStringlist can be kept sorted, no need to do ad-hoc sorting.
- Compare routines should be configurable. E.g. to pick a natural compare over a normal one. Asc/desc is then just an inverted compare routine.
- I don't know PHP or its manual, and I like to keep it that way.

Mike.Cornflake:
You ask a good question (sorting for records)

Have a look at the following:

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Array_sort

As the header says, that was prior to generics.  The idea in this wiki is that there is a general sort function, you just pass it a specific function that determines the rules for how one array element should be compared to another.  (ie, based on two index, you return -1, 0 or 1).  The actual soft algorthm is handled in the AnySort code.  That idea gets used a lot.

Instead of an array, you could use generics, where you use a collection class to handle your data.  Have a look at this post for instance
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=17772.0
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Generics

As for the help you are looking for, as a community there's been an effort to keep http://wiki.freepascal.org updated.

Welcome to the forum by the way :-)

BeniBela:
I made one, too  8-) https://github.com/benibela/bbutils/blob/master/bbutils.pas#L4541

Mike.Cornflake:
And time for a confession.  I've got lazy in my old age.  I generally just built up a TBufDataset and sort that.  Cause I know I'm going to want to filter that data a few different ways as well. 

TBufDataset is an in-memory data store.  Think of a Table in a database.

TBufDataset is memory overkill for for most of my uses, but my code in all the different apps is a darned site more consistent, and I've created a helper unit to simplify creation, population etc.

And I've only just started using SQLite.  Seriously thinking about switching over to that instead...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version