Recent

Author Topic: with free turbo delphi out there, why lazarus?  (Read 56302 times)

LazaruX

• Lazarus original cheetah.The cheetah doesn't cheat
with free turbo delphi out there, why lazarus?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 09:27:15 am »

:oops: Answer this questions first, then you will get the answer to your question.

with Microsoft Windows out there, why Linux?
with Borland Pascal out there, why FreePascal?
with Porsche out there, why Ferrari?
with Coca Cola out there, why Pepsi Cola?
with Google out there, why Live Search?

RudieD

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 12:22:22 pm »

First point Turbo Delphi the IDE NEED the .NET framework to run (No need for more reasons).
The FRED Trainer. (Training FRED with Lazarus/FPC)

tech-pro

• Tech-Pro.net
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 04:47:42 pm »
The best reason for "Why Lazarus?" if you aren't interested in cross-platform development is that it is open source.

It isn't going to disappear, as other development tools have done, because the people who own it decide that it doesn't make enough money to continue supporting.

Given the chequered career of Borland, that must have been a concern of quite a few of us.
Julian

antonio

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 11:56:41 pm »
People do are interested on cross-platform development for Windows/Linux/PDAs.

Beyond this, Lazarus can be an excellent educational tool as well, with its open source values of solidarity and work in team.

arnoldb

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 05:45:49 pm »
I agree with antonio.  I have developed in Delphi for years, and till recently, it has suited my needs.  Then last year, my company started a project that incorporates Windows CE based bar code scanners.  Windows Vista also brought a consideration: The costs involved in upgrading not only software, but hardware as well is prohibitive here in Namibia.  So just by looking at the future, Lazarus becomes a clear choice - I can develop for installed OSses, cater for the very likely migration to Linux based servers and workstations, and develop for the barcode scanners, all in one place without losing future usability, and all this in a language and programming environment that requires very little training for myself.  This is simply UNBEATABLE!.

antonio

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 09:48:27 pm »
Before FPC, there was no competition to Delphi. And to an open source project like FPC or Lazarus, the lazy criticism which doesn't want to make efforts is inadmissible.

henrytj

Re: RE: with free turbo delphi out there, why lazarus?
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 01:03:20 pm »
Quote from: "Vincent"
For win32 by all means use Turbo Delphi. The Lazarus community is small so the less people to support the better.

BTW, is Turbo Delphi availbale for windows 64 bits.

This is an amazingly irresponsible comment. Do others here really share this attitude? Do you really want FP and Lazarus to get the same secret society/cult like reputation that C and Unix started with? (And still haunts those btw.)

If you tell your user base to "go away" they may very well do that and not come back. Then FP/Lazarus might end up being a historical Wikipedia entry of something that was tried but failed.

Henry

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 01:54:46 pm »
Quote from: "henrytj"
For win32 by all means use Turbo Delphi. The Lazarus community is small so the less people to support the better.

This is an amazingly irresponsible comment.

Why irresponsible? I think for win32, Turbo Delphi is the better choice, create by maybe 10 fold the number of developers as Lazarus and although I never used Turbo Delphi, I think its quality is equal or maybe better than Lazarus's . And although Delphi's community is decreasing and Lazarus's comunity is growing, I think Delphi's community is still bigger. These two assumptions (I first wrote facts here) make me say, that for win32, Turbo Delphi is a better choice, certainly, if you are still in doubt.

Do others here really share this attitude?

No, idea. I hope others will respond here too, so you get a balenced view.

Do you really want FP and Lazarus to get the same secret society/cult like reputation that C and Unix started with? (And still haunts those btw.)

I never heard that part of the history. Unfortunately it didn't help killing C (let's do some C-bashing for a change) and unix like OS-es (Linux, Mac OS X) are still with us too.

If you tell your user base to "go away" they may very well do that and not come back. Then FP/Lazarus might end up being a historical Wikipedia entry of something that was tried but failed.

As long as I don't scare away contributors, I don't mind. :-) Lazarus, in the first place needs contributors to survive, not users. Even if nobody except 5 Lazarus developers, use Lazarus, Lazarus will survive.

This may change if there is a Lazarus / FPC Foundation and we grow dependant on users. Fortunately this is not the case yet.

henrytj

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 01:56:01 pm »
Quote from: "tech-pro"

It isn't going to disappear, as other development tools have done, because the people who own it decide that it doesn't make enough money to continue supporting.

Sounds like potentially famous last words. I have seen this claim on other things that "went away."

Henry

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 01:58:31 pm »
Quote from: "tech-pro"

Sounds like potentially famous last words. I have seen this claim on other things that "went away."

Henry

Can you give an example? Of an open source project that disapeared because they developers stopped developing because it didn't bring in enough money?

henrytj

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 02:28:32 pm »

This is an amazingly irresponsible comment.

Why irresponsible? I think for win32, Turbo Delphi is the better choice, create by maybe 10 fold the number of developers as Lazarus and although I never used Turbo Delphi, I think its quality is equal or maybe better than Lazarus's . And although Delphi's community is decreasing and Lazarus's comunity is growing, I think Delphi's community is still bigger. These two assumptions (I first wrote facts here) make me say, that for win32, Turbo Delphi is a better choice, certainly, if you are still in doubt.

Now that I know about Turbo Dephi I will look into it. Especially if it is better on Windows OS. My intended use is to write my own image/video special effects apps that Photoshop and my animation software doesn't seem to handle the way I want. So this will only be for my own use, at least at the present.

If Turbo Delphi seems better, better supported, more throughly documented, and does JPEGs, then I will likely use that and put FP/Lazarus on the shelf. I would love to support an open source project, but if this is the attitude...

And the other parts of your post, you either must be joking, or have gone through life with blinders on.

Henry

antonio

RE: Re: RE: with free turbo delphi out there, why lazarus?
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 02:41:53 pm »
henrytj, don't worry. You are important.  Be a contributor.

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 02:42:34 pm »
Now that I know about Turbo Dephi I will look into it.
Yes, please do. Turbo Delphi has some limitations (windows only, no support for custom components at design time).

Especially if it is better on Windows OS.

As longs as you don't need to cross the 2 GB border and want to use a 64 bits compiler.
My intended use is to write my own image/video special effects apps that Photoshop and my animation software doesn't seem to handle the way I want. So this will only be for my own use, at least at the present.
I think both pascal environments can do the job, TD and FPC/Lazarus.
If Turbo Delphi seems better, better supported, more throughly documented, and does JPEGs, then I will likely use that and put FP/Lazarus on the shelf.
If ..., then yes, it will wise to do so. I am not such a person that would recommend Open Source, just because it is Open Source. It has to give something extra beyond that.
I would love to support an open source project,

How would you like to support this open source project?
but if this is the attitude...

What attitude do you mean? That I recommend people to use Turbo Delphi instead of Lazarus, if I think that Turbo Delphi might be better for them? I think that this an honest way of handling. It would be no use if you started using FPC / Lazarus and become frustrated because it doesn't meet your expectations.

And the other parts of your post, you either must be joking, or have gone through life with blinders on.
I was not aware of being all the way (yes, the C bashing was a joke), but I do have a feeling we don't understand each other very well.

henrytj

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 02:54:12 pm »

Do you really want FP and Lazarus to get the same secret society/cult like reputation that C and Unix started with? (And still haunts those btw.)

I never heard that part of the history. Unfortunately it didn't help killing C (let's do some C-bashing for a change) and unix like OS-es (Linux, Mac OS X) are still with us too.

I just did a search on OS market shares. Here is one link.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2

Between Windows and Mac they have 98%+ of the OS market share. Linux has less than 1%. For 15 years Unix fans have told me how Unix was on the verge of leading the OS market. It has never even come close to happening. And Unix is even free!!!

I don't want Unix to go away. If you like it then great. I, and apparently most people, don't like it.

Sorry, but that is the reality of the situation.

antonio

RE: Re: RE: with free turbo delphi out there, why lazarus?
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 03:00:48 pm »
This market share is valid only for USA, or USA and Western Europe. It is not so outside this region. Linux is growing.

Come to Lazarus.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018