Recent

Author Topic: Total build time  (Read 13417 times)

ertank

Re: Total build time
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 08:33:49 pm »
IDE debugging is for debugging the IDE, not for debugging your program!!!!!....... Maybe that's your problem.... O:-)
That was not a reply to your debugging IDE question, of course  :)
Just wanted to explain command line builds may not be so convenient in my case.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 08:35:43 pm »
There is no point in applying a patch when you absolutely have no clue < and now I am really grumpy... >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D>
Ths is written from a RPi3, with both trunks, build fresh every day...... NO PATCHES PLZ. Simply turn IDE debugging OFF and normal debugging ON.

Clear?  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Specialize a type, not a var.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 08:37:06 pm »
I know that total build time is in verbose messages.
Is there a way to see both after build finishes? I mean without any need to see all these verbose messages, only these two information?
What verbose messages do you mean?
The environment options page "Messages Window" has a checkbox for : Show FPC message "lines compiled".
The output will be the last line in the Messages window.

BTW, a clean build of Lazarus takes ~4 minutes in my ASRock Beebox with Celeron N3000. It must be much slower in a Raspberry Pi.
A clean build is not always needed of course.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:40:05 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

balazsszekely

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 08:37:41 pm »
I appreciate that.
I can try to apply a patch. I do not know how to make a diff file for patch purposes and do not know svn much. But, I can try to figure.
1. Apply the attached patch
2. Rebuild lazarus
3. Go to options, check "Show FPC message..."(see screenshot)
4. Try to build a project or lazarus, you should see a message in the end(line number, time, etc...)

PS: This is only for personal use, contains a few hacks but it works.
PS1: Thaddy is grumpy again  :D. Thaddy you should also apply the patch to see how meany line of code your project has + the build time.
PS2: @Juha the problem is when you rebuild lazarus you won't see a thing, since the IDE restarts itself.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:39:19 pm by GetMem »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 08:41:40 pm »
PS2: @Juha the problem is when you rebuild lazarus you won't see a thing, since the IDE restarts itself.
Ah, OK.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Thaddy

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 08:46:24 pm »
[PS1: Thaddy is grumpy again  :D. Thaddy you should also apply the patch to see how meany line of code your project has + the build time.
Of course I will try the patch..... I wonder if it helps...
RPi 3 is a properly fast system comparable to slowish Intel notebooks if you just want to compile and debug something.

Will report back..... (but I still think somebody is talking nonsense here, not: I am sure of that, and it is not me  >:D)

Again written from a RPi 3....... Sorry for the suckers that can't get it to work.....

ertank

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 08:46:35 pm »
The environment options page "Messages Window" has a checkbox for : Show FPC message "lines compiled".

BTW, a clean build of Lazarus takes ~4 minutes in my ASRock Beebox with Celeron N3000. It must be much slower in a Raspberry Pi.
If you right click on messages window -> "Filter non urgent messages" -> Check "Filter Debug Messages and below" (just below Filter Verbose Messages and below) then you will be able to see compile time as last line in messages. However, that includes lots of other messages, too. Which is not necessarily needed.

That option is just the one I was looking for anyway. Tested and it works as expected.

Thank you.

Thaddy

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 08:49:21 pm »

If you right click on messages window -> "Filter non urgent messages" -> Check "Filter Debug Messages and below" (just below Filter Verbose Messages and below) then you will be able to see compile time as last line in messages. However, that includes lots of other messages, too. Which is not necessarily needed.

That option is just the one I was looking for anyway. Tested and it works as expected.

Thank you.

Did you actually read the patch? You feel happy, but you won't if you need it.....

ertank

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »
Will report back..... (but I still think somebody is talking nonsense here, not: I am sure of that, and it is not me  >:D)

Again written from a RPi 3....... Sorry for the suckers that can't get it to work.....
I am on my RPi 3 all from the beginning as well. Like it very much.

Thaddy, it may not be talking non-sense. It is not always same thing that one person write and another understands. There is language barrier to begin with. Also, different knowledge levels might cause quite a bit of mis-understanding.

I am sorry on my side because you're grumpy.

balazsszekely

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 08:54:23 pm »
@Thaddy
He's just a beginner, give him some time to learn. By the way where is your presentation about randomness? You should make it available for download.

@ertank
When you rebuild Lazarus, you won't see the relevan information since the IDE restart itself.

ertank

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 09:04:05 pm »
@ertank
When you rebuild Lazarus, you won't see the relevan information since the IDE restart itself.
I had difficulty to understand the patch. Not used to read such patches anyway. After your post above, I did figure what it does.

Actually, Juha did reply my question. Which leads me that I used some terms which mis-lead you and maybe Thaddy. I am not by any means trying to learn lines compiled or build time of Lazarus application, if it is re-build in the IDE, or outside of it. What I am trying to learn how long it takes to build my own project that I am developing using Lazarus.

Once again, I am sorry for all the fuss.

balazsszekely

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2017, 09:48:51 pm »
@ertank
I had difficulty to understand the patch. Not used to read such patches anyway. After your post above, I did figure what it does.
You don't have understand it, you should apply it. A patch is just as quick way to modify one or more unit with a single click.

Once again, I am sorry for all the fuss.
Don't worry I'm glad you figure it out. One question still remains though: it really takes a few minutes to build an application on raspberry pi? I'm gonna quote you:
"because it sometimes takes more than the time I prepare myself a filtered coffee". How can you develop something on such a slow environment?   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:54:33 pm by GetMem »

ertank

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 11:05:05 pm »
Don't worry I'm glad you figure it out. One question still remains though: it really takes a few minutes to build an application on raspberry pi? I'm gonna quote you:
"because it sometimes takes more than the time I prepare myself a filtered coffee". How can you develop something on such a slow environment?
I am working on a project. There is a device that will be used in surgeries at hospitals. With some sensors and database and etc on it (sorry, confidentiality issues, can't say more to what it does). As this is being an R&D project. There are a lot of changes. Even to basic built in logic changed once (which drives me crazy).

It is difficult to test everything on another development platform and I found it to be faster to work on the platform that device will be deployed. Testing and finding bugs definitely faster this way. Consider that; if I am to use a faster computer, I have to deploy new executable for testing. If there is a problem, I need to figure it on the RPi 3, if not I return back to code. If not I need to use GDB debugger maybe (I do not know how to use it manually anyway).

It indeed takes quite considerable time to complete my builds on my Raspberry Pi 3 system. Including other libraries used it is about 600.000 lines of code if I build from scratch. As I told earlier, on average it takes 90 seconds - 150 seconds. Rare situations going up about 190 seconds. Moreover, I cannot test built executable right away. It takes about 20-30 seconds for the system to be responsive again (swapping or whatever it is).

However, it is only building that takes time. Writing code is as fast as it is on any other system out there. So, development is not impossible on Raspberry Pi 3, not at all.

Yes, I can prepare myself a good coffee while system is building  :) I purchase whole bean coffee and use my grinder for a fresh coffee experience.
Most of the time system responsiveness is fine and I can debug my freshly build application when I am back with my coffee.

Short answer to your question is: Because I need to earn money (as like anybody else), I am bearing with my own difficulties on the way to earn it.

balazsszekely

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 11:31:52 pm »
@ertank
Good luck with your project.

valdir.marcos

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:48 am »
Sd card I am using is Class 10 Samsung EVO+ 32GB I especially selected that card at the time I  was searching one. It was among the best when I placed my order in the past. However, sdcard speeds are about 4-8MB/second on average. Now I am testing Sandisk Extreme 64GB USB3.1 USB memory stick (thanks to RPi3 it has USB boot support). I get about 25MB/second sequential write speeds on this one. Nearly SSD speeds on an USB stick and for less amount of money.

Still, OS is using 4k blocks and writing 4k blocks in the background most of the time (log writes, database writes, etc). Raspberry Pi I/O is shared by cable ethernet, USB ports and sdcard if I am not mistaken. Real world speeds are dropping on regular use. Think about adding Lazarus builds on top of this.

Try to overclock a test microSD (please, don't use your main one) to check if it get any faster:
http://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149983
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/sd-cards.md
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/sdxc_formatting.md

Can you have 2 simultaneous microSD cards on your Raspberry Pi 3B?
One microSD card for OS, Lazarus and RDBMS and other [microSD card] for your project to be compiled and database files?
Maybe sharing IO process might speed up your project compiling.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018