Recent

Author Topic: how many broken mice do you have ?  (Read 7067 times)

mai

• truther
how many broken mice do you have ?
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:54:01 pm »
 %)

what's your experience with mice ?

I kinda try to stay away from El Cheapo China made mice and prefer Logitech. While all my 2 logis are working for years, several cheapo mice broke, even a HP one.

though there is no mechanical wear with optical mice, they still stop to work after 2 years or so (Trust , HP). Or the wheel malfunctions mechanically.

logitech marble men / mice are quite reliable here.  What is your experience? I mean they charge more money for mice than for screens these days...

That is a bit out of proportion!   :o

never had a worn switch in contrast (except the wheel middle switch so to say)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:57:41 pm by mai »

engkin

Re: how many broken mice do you have ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 03:20:12 pm »
All of your mice are made in China. You mostly chose to pay for the brand. 🖰

fred

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:21:27 pm »
At work I still use a 15+ (closer 20 I think) year old Logitech mouse with PS/2 :)
Clean the roler from time to time, logo fading but works good!

mai

• truther
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »
once I worked at SIEMENS and they gave me a computer and ... of course the mouse was fuggin broken. back in the days of mechanical mice (with a ball and all that).

mai

• truther
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 03:31:40 pm »
OK granted that even logi mice probably are made in China. it still seems that there are "mice" and then there are mice made by serious manufacturers.

usually you don't find the latter in what we around here call a  " 1 € shop " due to their pricing ...

fred

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 03:50:10 pm »
For me my old mouse wil ball works better than an optical mouse, use what works for you.
Once I had a project with a Siemens PG685 "portable" computer, about 20 kg.
When people now complain that their laptop is too heavy I just smile :D
Some years ago a colleagu had a Siemens PG laptop and the handle just broke.
I tend do long with things, my previous PC at work was 9 years old but I was not allowed to use it anymore because it was running Windows XP :)
My flat Logitech keyboard is 10 years old and was from somebody else, some letters are fading :)

munair

• compiler developer @SharpBASIC
    • SharpBASIC
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 04:04:40 pm »
For me my old mouse wil ball works better than an optical mouse, use what works for you.
Once I had a project with a Siemens PG685 "portable" computer, about 20 kg.
When people now complain that their laptop is too heavy I just smile :D
Some years ago a colleagu had a Siemens PG laptop and the handle just broke.
I tend do long with things, my previous PC at work was 9 years old but I was not allowed to use it anymore because it was running Windows XP :)
My flat Logitech keyboard is 10 years old and was from somebody else, some letters are fading :)
I also tend to do long with things. It's unfortunate that companies are forced to upgrade good working Windows computers only because security updates are no longer provided. I actually have two XP PCs still running here partially because of driver support that newer Windows versions lack. One of them is a 2003 HP/Compaq with dual monitor card. Still works smoothly and there's no need to replace that system.
keep it simple

mai

• truther
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 04:07:30 pm »
a Siemens PG685 "portable" computer, about 20 kg

dude do you remember those SIEMENS  8-bit CP/M "portable" machines ?

I myself only saw them in storage ... but I powered it up one day (when I was head of department ... ) ... was still working after all the time ...

mai

• truther
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 04:11:46 pm »
At work I still use a 15+ (closer 20 I think) year old Logitech mouse with PS/2 :)
Clean the roler from time to time, logo fading but works good!

first thing I do is use sticky tape to kill any logo on any computer equipment I use. Helps supporting open hardware!

fred

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »
dude do you remember those SIEMENS  8-bit CP/M "portable" machines ?

It was my only Siemens project.
I have worked with a Starplex 8085 with two 8 inch 160kB floppy drives.
A program for generating a program documentation for a Philips PC20 took 2-3 hours :)
A OS-9/68000 5.25 inch floppy I could read and use after 15 years in storage :)

engkin

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 05:38:25 pm »
OK granted that even logi mice probably are made in China. it still seems that there are "mice" and then there are mice made by serious manufacturers.

usually you don't find the latter in what we around here call a  " 1 € shop " due to their pricing ...

Did you say "probably"?
As of 2005, the manufacturing operations in China produce approximately half of Logitech's products.

You might wonder "what about the other half?":
The remaining production is outsourced to contract manufacturers and original design manufacturers in Asia.

Do you still consider Logitech a "serious manufacturer"? 💰

FYI, what you see in your "1 € shops" is made specifically to be sold in these shops. You can get the whole range of quality from China.  "El Cheapo China made mice" were made for "El Cheapo [insert a country name here] importers."

Instead of blaming China maybe it is time to blame lack of quality regulations on imported products, and blame the greed of your importers.

🤑

mai

• truther
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 05:55:30 pm »
Well - I grant You that much, Sir !

RAW

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 11:59:17 pm »
Once I had a ROCCAT mouse... (80 €) ... big bullshit...
Now I use 3x GIGABYTE GM-M7000 OPTICAL MOUSE (9 €)... very small mouse, perfect for PHOTOSHOP or GIMP... very nice... They are working very well... (of course made in CHINA).
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

soerensen3

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 01:22:36 am »
What is what usually breaks on your mouse? My mice always start doing double clicks on button release or just trigger button realease before I actually release the finger. At first I blamed gnome or libinput for that until I changed to another mouse and realised it was a hardware fault. I have at least 3 mice lying around like which I didn't get rid of yet.
I used a dell mouse which I really liked for being very accurate until it started behaving like that. Now I have a cherry mouse which an old flat mate left here.
I personally prefer simple mice without the clutter of too many buttons you accidently press and trigger something like starting an application you most certainly don't want to. I also like if they are precise and light in weight and configured with high mouse speed.
Lazarus 1.9 with FPC 3.0.4
Target: Manjaro Linux 64 Bit (4.9.68-1-MANJARO)

mai

• truther
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 08:56:57 am »
I have small mice for travelling but they are a pain to use for an extended period of time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018