Recent

Author Topic: Which distro will you recommend?  (Read 16026 times)

soerensen3

Re: Which distro will you recommend?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 12:00:07 am »
Didn't nvidia drop support for a lot of old of their graphic cards, meaning they don't support them in their new drivers (Both Linux and Windows)? You might be better off with noveau. If only the 304 driver works it appears that your card is affected.

Have a look at this to see if your card is listed:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

No idea why manjaro did what it did but maybe it has to do with wayland. Using X11 might help but you probably cannot choose that in during installation. Maybe you have to try different releases to find you a distro suiting you configuration.
Lazarus 1.9 with FPC 3.0.4
Target: Manjaro Linux 64 Bit (4.9.68-1-MANJARO)

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 02:50:27 am »
Thank you for the link.

What you said is true, my card is listed there and I can't run properly if I use higher version of NVidia drivers. I personally do not like Ubuntu and its variants, but as long as I can make it works, I'm okay with it. When booting using Manjaro, users have options to use free or non-free drivers. I tried them, but it just failed to start.

munair

• compiler developer @SharpBASIC
    • SharpBASIC
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 06:09:23 am »
Thank you for the link.

What you said is true, my card is listed there and I can't run properly if I use higher version of NVidia drivers. I personally do not like Ubuntu and its variants, but as long as I can make it works, I'm okay with it. When booting using Manjaro, users have options to use free or non-free drivers. I tried them, but it just failed to start.

Have you tried this one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-260.19.21-driver.html
keep it simple

Handoko

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 06:46:03 am »
Some years ago, I was naughty. Ubuntu already provided NVidia proprietary driver that worked good on my computer but I manually download and install the driver from NVidia official website, which I thought it may have better performance.

I remember I followed their installation instruction properly. I was and still am a computer technician, I should able to understand the instruction. Guess what, it broke my Ubuntu twice. It even can't boot to safe mode, only OS reinstalling can help. Lesson learned, don't use drivers not provided by the OS if you use Linux.

Other than that Ubuntu is okay, I didn't need to reinstall it. If something bad happened, I can restart to safe mode and repair. Actually Ubuntu is buggy, I can mention lots of bugs I found. But it's now working good and the NVidia driver already installed correctly, which now I can run Windows 3D games using Wine correctly.

Thank you for link. Ubuntu does provide that driver. Installing NVidia drivers on Ubuntu is a piece of cake, it has a built-in tool for NVidia drivers. You just pick the one you want, if it fails to start correctly then restart to safe mode and pick the others. Currently on version 17.10, it provides these drivers for NVidia cards by the default installation:

- nvidia-384 (fails on my machine)
- nvidia-340 (fails on my machine)
- legacy binary driver 304 (it works)
- Nouveau open source driver (it works but can't play 3D games)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:52:18 am by Handoko »

munair

• compiler developer @SharpBASIC
    • SharpBASIC
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 07:02:02 am »
Some years ago, I was naughty. Ubuntu already provided NVidia proprietary driver that worked good on my computer but I manually download and install the driver from NVidia official website, which I thought it may have better performance.

I remember I followed their installation instruction properly. I was and still am a computer technician, I should able to understand the instruction. Guess what, it broke my Ubuntu twice. It even can't boot to safe mode, only OS reinstalling can help. Lesson learned, don't use drivers not provided by the OS if you use Linux.

Other than that Ubuntu is okay, I didn't need to reinstall it. If something bad happened, I can restart to safe mode and repair. Actually Ubuntu is buggy, I can mention lots of bugs I found. But it's now working good and the NVidia driver already installed correctly, which now I can run Windows 3D games using Wine correctly.

Thank you for link. Ubuntu does provide that driver. Installing NVidia drivers on Ubuntu is a piece of cake, it has a built-in tool for NVidia drivers. You just pick the one you want, if it fails to start correctly then restart to safe mode and pick the others. Currently on version 17.10, it provides these drivers for NVidia cards by the default installation:

- nvidia-384 (fails on my machine)
- nvidia-340 (fails on my machine)
- legacy binary driver 304 (it works)
- Nouveau open source driver (it works but can't play 3D games)

Maybe you should consider replacing the card or use another computer for 3D programming with Linux.
keep it simple

Handoko

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 07:08:35 am »
If I do programming for money, I will do as what you suggested. But I don't earn money from programming, I should not spend too much money for my hobby projects.

I think later, maybe next year NVidia drivers will be better supported by Linux. And that's why I said I may try non Ubuntu Linux next year. Ubuntu really done good job to better support NVidia drivers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018