Forum > FPC development

Difference between += and := -- Is this a bug in FPC?

(1/5) > >>

EganSolo:
Before I get ahead of myself and post this as a bug, I thought I would ask here first.
Consider line 8 in the code fragment below: The code uses +=, whereas the commented assignment on line nine  uses :=
When I run the code as is (with +=) and the boolean variable, EmptyStr on line seven is true, the debugger exits the method as if the code on lines eight and ten does not exist. But when I comment that line and uncomment line nine, then the code functions properly.

Am I simply misusing +=? I mean CurrentString is a variable passed to method where this code is implemented and MIF_EmtyCharStyleMarker is a constant declared in another unit.

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---          Case WordHTMLTag of            wht_Italics : CurrentString += MIF_ItalicMarker;            wht_Bold    : CurrentString += MIF_BoldMarker  ;            wht_span    : If IsOpeningTag                          then begin                            EmptyStr := HtmlClass = '';                            If EmptyStr then                               CurrentString += MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarker                            // CurrentString := CurrentString + MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarker                            else MIF_AddStartCharaTag(HTMLClass)                          end                          else If MIF_HasIllegalMarker(CurrentString)                               then CurrentString += MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarker                               else MIF_AddEndCharaTag;            else Assert(False, 'we should not bere here!');           end; 

Blaazen:

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---    CurrentString += MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarker    CurrentString := CurrentString + MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarkerThese two lines are identical. There must be something wrong elsewhere out of pasted code.

munair:
You are not misusing += but it is C-style. I never use that style, but from the manual I find that you must use the compiler directive {$COPERATORS ON} to support it.

With a similar example, without the directive, I get a compile error "Variable identifier expected". Interestingly, WITH the directive I also get the same compile error. See the screenshot.

If I replace += with normal fp syntax, everything compiles just fine. My suggestion: stick to native fp syntax. Even though it may look more verbose, the resulting code is the same.

Example:

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---unit upcstyle; {$mode objfpc}{$H+}{$COPERATORS ON} interface uses  Classes, SysUtils, FileUtil, Forms, Controls, Graphics, Dialogs, StdCtrls; type   { TForm1 }   TForm1 = class(TForm)    Label1: TLabel;    procedure FormCreate(Sender: TObject);  private    { private declarations }  public    { public declarations }  end; var  Form1: TForm1; implementation {$R *.lfm} { TForm1 } procedure TForm1.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);var  EmptyStr: boolean;  HtmlClass: string;begin  EmptyStr := (HtmlClass = '');  if EmptyStr then    Label1.Caption += 'empty' //doesn't work    //Label1.Caption := Label1.Caption + 'empty' //works  else    Label1.Caption := 'not empty';end; end. 
Steps to reproduce: Start a new project. Add a label to the form. Replace the code in unit1 with the example code.

EDIT: I just learned that {$mode objfpc} already gives support to C style operators. It explains why the compiler keeps complaining. In the example above {$COPERATORS ON} doesn't make any difference.

engkin:

--- Quote from: EganSolo on October 18, 2017, 02:33:05 am ---Before I get ahead of myself and post this as a bug, I thought I would ask here first.
Consider line 8 in the code fragment below: The code uses +=, whereas the commented assignment on line nine  uses :=
When I run the code as is (with +=) and the boolean variable, EmptyStr on line seven is true, the debugger exits the method as if the code on lines eight and ten does not exist. But when I comment that line and uncomment line nine, then the code functions properly.

Am I simply misusing +=? I mean CurrentString is a variable passed to method where this code is implemented and MIF_EmtyCharStyleMarker is a constant declared in another unit.

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---          Case WordHTMLTag of            wht_Italics : CurrentString += MIF_ItalicMarker;            wht_Bold    : CurrentString += MIF_BoldMarker  ;            wht_span    : If IsOpeningTag                          then begin                            EmptyStr := HtmlClass = '';                            If EmptyStr then                               CurrentString += MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarker                            // CurrentString := CurrentString + MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarker                            else MIF_AddStartCharaTag(HTMLClass)                          end                          else If MIF_HasIllegalMarker(CurrentString)                               then CurrentString += MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarker                               else MIF_AddEndCharaTag;            else Assert(False, 'we should not bere here!');           end; 
--- End quote ---

Your usage is correct.
The generated code is also correct.
There is a bug in the debug information, confirmed using -al in the compiler options

When += is used here is the generated code:

--- Quote ---.Ll28:
# [46] If EmptyStr then
   cmpb   $0,-20(%ebp)
   je   .Lj58
.Ll29:
# [49] else
   pushl   $0
   movl   8(%ebp),%eax
   movl   (%eax),%edx
   movl   8(%ebp),%eax
   movl   TC_$P$PROJECT1_$$_MIF_EMPTYCHARSTYLEMARKER,%ecx
   call   fpc_ansistr_concat
   jmp   .Lj32

--- End quote ---

While with CurrentString := CurrentString + MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarker

--- Quote ---.Ll28:
# [46] If EmptyStr then
   cmpb   $0,-20(%ebp)
   je   .Lj58
.Ll29:
# [48] CurrentString := CurrentString + MIF_EmptyCharStyleMarker
   pushl   $0
   movl   8(%ebp),%eax
   movl   (%eax),%edx
   movl   8(%ebp),%eax
   movl   TC_$P$PROJECT1_$$_MIF_EMPTYCHARSTYLEMARKER,%ecx
   call   fpc_ansistr_concat
   jmp   .Lj32

--- End quote ---

Notice that the assembly is identical. Just the debug information is wrong.

munair:
Does that mean that the directive {$COPERATORS ON} no longer makes a difference? My example suggests it is not just the debugger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version