Recent

Author Topic: PascalScada is Great BUT ...  (Read 3257 times)

Awesome Programmer

• Programming is FUN only when it works :)
    • Cool Technology
PascalScada is Great BUT ...
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:06:28 pm »
PascalScada components are Great (Thank you to the developer) and I could really use it but I can never SUCCESSFULLY install it the component to Lazarus compiler. Every time I find a way to solve one compilation error, there are 3 more. I don't understand it. Could someone please point me to a WORKING PascalScada components? Thank you.

I am using Lazarus 1.0.12 fpc 2.6.2

fred

Re: PascalScada is Great BUT ...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:22:09 pm »
I have not used them myself but the components are in the OPM (Online Package Manager) in the latest Lazarus 1.8 RC5.
Is there any reason you use a very old now unsupported Lazarus version?

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:02:49 pm »
Is there any reason you use a very old now unsupported Lazarus version?
The same question came to my mind. Lazarus 1.0.12 was released at 2013, over 4 years ago. Things have advanced quite much since that.
Awesome Programmer, have you not even tried a recent version?
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Awesome Programmer

• Programming is FUN only when it works :)
    • Cool Technology
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:44:25 pm »
I am working on Mageia Linux Distribution and it looks like they haven't updated their repository. That's why I am still working with old Lazarus version. Anyways, I took the time to download the latest Lazarus and install it.

Right, it won't let me install LNet component but the old Lazarus version did. Compiler keeps raising all sorts of errors related SSL. Can you help me with that? Thanks.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:14:34 pm »
I am working on Mageia Linux Distribution and it looks like they haven't updated their repository. That's why I am still working with old Lazarus version. Anyways, I took the time to download the latest Lazarus and install it.
Mageia is apparently even worse than some other distros if they have a 4+ year old version.

Right, it won't let me install LNet component but the old Lazarus version did. Compiler keeps raising all sorts of errors related SSL.
It works here. I just tested installing LNet through Online Package Manager.
You have either screwed the installation somehow or dependencies are missing.

Can you help me with that?
I don't know how you installed. Be sure to uninstall the old version completely before installing new.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:09:32 pm »
I removed a post from "mai". There is no need to hijack yet another thread for the useless ranting.

Installing SW to any Linux / Unix variant distro is easy when using the distro's servers. Installing a more recent version of SW is more demanding. It is not a Lazarus specific problem, it is true for any SW.
Debian and its derivatives are recommended by many. Yes, they are stable and good ... as long as you are happy with the outdated versions of programs found in their servers.
If not, then you may find 3rd party packages (like what we provide for Debian). If they work, good, but otherwise you must bypass their package system which breaks things very easily. I used to screw my Xubuntu system many times by installing a new version of something. Usually I was able to fix it but the struggle felt useless.

My personal recommendations for getting latest release of FPC / Lazarus:

1. Use a rolling distro. They have the latest versions of everything. I use Manjaro myself. It has an impressive selection of packages. FPC 3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8 will be in their server a week or 2 after their release.
No problems so far with Manjaro.

2. For other distros, including Mageia, if no 3rd party package is available, you must bypass their package system.
A certainly functional way to install latest FPC is to use the install script provided by FPC project itself. A downside is that you cannot update it later by using the distro package system.
Then, Lazarus does not need installation really. Just get the sources, build and start it right there.
$ svn co https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/branches/fixes_1_8  lazarus_1_8
$ cd lazarus_1_8
$ make
$ ./lazarus

Easy peacy. :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:36:55 pm by JuhaManninen »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018