Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Get "make" to work to build Laz from cvs sources  (Read 8388 times)

mai

• truther
[SOLVED] Get "make" to work to build Laz from cvs sources
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:33:40 am »
a simple "make all" only works after "apt install lazarus"

If you use fpcUPdeluxe instead, you need the params described below to "make" successfully.

current 2017 Makefile expects fpc in $PATH among other prerequisites, which are not satisfied if a user solely uses fpcUPdeluxe. Then make fails even though it could advise the user in this rather common situation what he needs to do. But that won't happen in Lazarus.  :-[

find a working make instruction line in the first reply, below.

I installed Laz with fpcUP-deluxe. Contrary to   http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Compiling_and_running_Lazarus

svn co https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk lazarus

cd lazarus
make       >:(

of course breaks. For one, fpc and ppx64 must be manually copied into the an echo $PATH   subdir

but it still breaks, probably because of $PATH , files cannot be found.   >:D

fpcUPdeluxe manages to make Laz, but outside of that is it documented anywhere how to get going ? 

make help  does not go into such detail.  :-[

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  2. make bigide
  4. make -C packager/registration
  5. make[1]: Entering directory '/home/YOU/AA/cvs/lazarus/packager/registration'
  6. /bin/rm -f ../units/x86_64-linux/fcllaz.ppu
  8. /home/YOU/Pfad/ppcx64 -MObjFPC -Scghi -O1 -g -gl -l -vewnhibq -Fu. -Fu/usr/local/lib/fpc/3.1.1/units/x86_64-linux/rtl -FE. -FU../units/x86_64-linux -Cg -dx86_64 fcllaz.pas
  10. Free Pascal Compiler version 3.1.1-r37463 [2017/10/16] for x86_64
  11. Copyright (c) 1993-2017 by Florian Klaempfl and others
  12. (1002) Target OS: Linux for x86-64
  14. (3104) Compiling fcllaz.pas
  16. /home/YOU/AA/cvs/lazarus/packager/registration/fcllaz.pas(11,3)
  18. Fatal: (10022) Can't find unit db used by fcllaz
  19. Fatal: (1018) Compilation aborted
  21. Makefile:2785: recipe for target 'fcllaz.ppu' failed
  23. make[1]: *** [fcllaz.ppu] Error 1
  24. make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/YOU/AA/cvs/lazarus/packager/registration'
  26. Makefile:3141: recipe for target 'registration' failed
  27. make: *** [registration] Error 2
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:00:57 pm by mai »

mai

• truther
Re: How to get the
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:20:43 am »
The Laz wiki , as well as make help output , telling users to simply run make is utterly wrong again. without the extra params make will break for every user every time, and of course

make help

is completely useless here as well ! Just as we all had predicted !

I guarantuee you that this info will never be put into the Makefile - "make help section" where it belongs -, so that more users will totally fail in building Laz.

one way to find out is to look at the fpcUPdeluxe sources / logs , since those are sometimes working - this is working :

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. make            "FPC=/home/YOU/fpXXdebug/fpc/bin/x86_64-linux/fpc.sh" "USESVN2REVISIONINC=0"
  2.         "--directory=/home/YOU/fpXXdebug/lazarus"
  3.      "INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/YOU/fpXXdebug/lazarus"
  4.              "FPCDIR=/home/YOU/fpXXdebug/fpcsrc"
  5.      "UPXPROG=echo" "COPYTREE=echo" "OPT=-vw-n-h-l-d-u-t-p-c- " "lazbuild"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:22:42 am by mai »

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
Re: [SOLVED] Get "make" to work to build Laz from cvs sources
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:57:57 pm »
Please stop bashing us.
You are not obliged to use Lazarus, if you find it to be so utterly useless.

About make and Lazarus from svn, for me it works out of the box, both on Windows and Linux (32 and 64 bit) and a Pi.
Just install fpc.
Get the Lazarus sources
cd $(Lazarus)
make all (or make bigide)

This has never failed me on many systems I have installed Lazarus.

B.t.w. It is NOT recommended to use fpc trunk with Lazarus trunk (which fpcup seems to favor).

It is OK to be frustrated if you don't get things to work, but your tone (not only here, but also on the wiki) is certainly not OK.

Bart

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:28:29 pm »
@mai, maybe you are not clever enough for this task.
Now you are totally confusing 2 different toolsets: a 3rd party FpcUpDeluxe and the "official" Lazarus installation.
When you compile Lazarus using its own makefile, obviously FPC must be properly installed at that point. You can easily test it by typing "fpc" at console.

I must blame also the people who recommend FpcUpDeluxe for total newbies. It is an advanced geeky tool, most valuable for people who cross-compile. It is not suitable for "normal" installation because it keeps both FPC and Lazarus in an isolated sandbox.
Besides, compiling Lazarus from sources is easy. There is no need to recommend a geeky FpcUpDeluxe for it. You guys have totally confused "mai" by doing so.

Better sleep over night ... maybe things start to make sense in the morning.  :-*

P.S.
FPC and Lazarus both use SVN, not CVS, for their revision control.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:43:08 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

mai

• truther
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 03:12:13 am »
it seems to me that mixing fcpupdeluxe installs with say "apt install fpc" leads to chaos with a lot of stuff not working a little later.

Most stable install I got with fcpupdeluxe exclusively, all other installs purged.

Also I don't confuse "make" with fcpup-DL

fcpupdeluxe seems to be the fastest way to obtain results, given that it is the sole installer used.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:15:33 am by mai »

bee

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 03:39:27 am »
@mai:

I was about to make a video tutorial about how to install FPC and Lazarus IDE on Linux Mint, but it turns out someone else had already made one before me. So here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZqmmVeYT-I

In the video you'll find out that installing FPC and Lazarus IDE on Linux Mint isn't that difficult. In fact, it's quite easy even for a complete newbie. It takes less than 10 minutes to make it all works. It should also work on any Debian-based Linux distros that understand .deb package. Also take a look at other videos from the same author. Thanks to him.
-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

mai

• truther
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 08:35:13 am »
I dont need a video to tell me: run apt install lazarus

Agreed, Laz may start up thereafter, but try adding components and recompile the IDE.

thats when the big FAIL usually begins, I bet the video does not cover that.

bee

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:33:15 am »
Agreed, Laz may start up thereafter, but try adding components and recompile the IDE.
Nope. After the installation I usually add components, such as sqldb components and docking package, recompile the IDE, and make a program just after that. All is fine.

Here's more videos:
- installing Indy components: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55OpmuywvR4
- installing docking package: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE6moqK-JtE

I've experienced all of them myself. It works and pretty easy. I don't understand why your experience seems so complicated and difficult.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:41:07 am by bee »
-Bee-

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:51:09 am »
You're really patient. Your previous video wasn't appreciated by the TS but you still back to help him/her. O:-)

Actually, s/he has 2 issues needed to be solved desperately. The TS was a nice member but his extra mouse buttons being ignored frequently, s/he becomes sad. The fail to compile issue added his anger and now he will nitpick every things he can find about Lazarus.

Anyone can dig the TS's posts. Then you'll understand why s/he becomes so mad.

mai

• truther
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 10:56:03 am »
Nope. After the installation I usually add components, such as sqldb components and docking package, recompile the IDE, and make a program just after that. All is fine.

I've experienced all of them myself. It works and pretty easy. I don't understand why your experience seems so complicated and difficult.

just for giggles I use apt to install Laz on mint 18.2 and NOTHING compiled, exactly as I had predicted.

then I used fcpupdeluxe to install a 2nd Laz, which - lo and behold - sort of worked.
The fact that it works for YOU does not mean anything in terms of a proof of quality. what you say is just an irrelevant anecdotal note.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 10:58:19 am »
The fact that it works for YOU does not mean anything in terms of a proof of quality. what you say is just an irrelevant anecdotal note.

Well, after your rants the past few days, we can't really consider you an unbiassed source anymore, now can we? Worse, it might just your system needing a bit of a scrub after hasty and random experimentation.

bee

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:09:49 am »
just for giggles I use apt to install Laz on mint 18.2 and NOTHING compiled, exactly as I had predicted.
I've shown you the video how to install Laz on Mint with ease. Have you tried it yet?

Exactly! The fact (though you didn't give us any proof yet) that it does not work for you doesn't mean anything in terms of a proof of quality. The problem could be somewhere else in your system. What you have said in the past few days are just irrelevant anecdotal notes. Nobody had experience with such difficulties and complexities, but you.
-Bee-

mai

• truther
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 11:27:53 am »
I predicted that you are just some fool without a clue. proof:

" Nobody had experience with such difficulties and complexities, but you."

perfect proof of your stupidity.

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 12:32:34 pm »
Isn't it about time to block this troll, his "contributions" add no value whatsoever to this forum.
I think he overstayed his welcome here.
       Lazarus 3.2 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.40 FPC 3.3.1

molly

TinyPortal © 2005-2018