Programming > General

Update short filename on a file?

(1/3) > >>

snorkel:
anyone know how to update a files short path name on NTFS with FPC?
See this article if you don't know what I mean:
https://guyrleech.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/ntfs-8-3-short-names-solving-the-issues/#comment-296

we copied a huge amount of files from one server to the other, however we forgot to enable 8.3 naming on the new windows server and now a bunch of the files are not accessible because the path is too large.  It took weeks to copy all the data so we enabled the 8.3 on the new server however it's only applied automatically when files are created, so all the stuff we already copied does not have the short path name when we view the properties on it.
apparently the short path name is some kind of meta tag NTFS uses but I dont' see how to access it with the standard file utils.

Remy Lebeau:
You don't have direct access to set the 8.3 filename.  Just rename the existing files and let NTFS generate new 8.3 names for them.

engkin:

--- Quote from: snorkel on October 16, 2017, 09:51:46 pm ---anyone know how to update a files short path name on NTFS with FPC?
See this article if you don't know what I mean:
https://guyrleech.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/ntfs-8-3-short-names-solving-the-issues/#comment-296

we copied a huge amount of files from one server to the other, however we forgot to enable 8.3 naming on the new windows server and now a bunch of the files are not accessible because the path is too large.  It took weeks to copy all the data so we enabled the 8.3 on the new server however it's only applied automatically when files are created, so all the stuff we already copied does not have the short path name when we view the properties on it.
apparently the short path name is some kind of meta tag NTFS uses but I dont' see how to access it with the standard file utils.

--- End quote ---

What's wrong with the tool provided in the article?

marcov:
If it is one place that you access it, you could prefix it with \\?\

Afaik windows 10 has a way to remove the 260 lfn limit all together.

Munair:

--- Quote from: engkin on October 17, 2017, 06:37:36 am ---What's wrong with the tool provided in the article?

--- End quote ---
I was wondering the same thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version