Recent

Author Topic: Do newbies get a good "1st time impression" of Lazarus ?  (Read 39098 times)

mai

• truther
Re: Do newbies get a good "1st time impression" of Lazarus ?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 08:56:45 am »
My first impression is that Mai already made his choice: Delphi is great and Lazarus is nothing.

Delphi was great in the 1990's and Lazarus consistsently gave me much trouble right out of the box. So I used python + Qt-Designer which was way better to handle.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 09:08:05 am »
My first impression is that Mai already made his choice: Delphi is great and Lazarus is nothing.

Delphi was great in the 1990's and Lazarus consistsently gave me much trouble right out of the box. So I used python + Qt-Designer which was way better to handle.
Well then, congratulations. But why are you still here? Not everyone must fit with a tool's philosophy. If you're OK with some other tools, go with them instead of mumbling and whining for nothing. We don't experience your difficulty (nor we know how capable you are) just like many others do, so don't generalize your experience. Contribute or silent, that's all I can say to people like you, because you clearly has no good intention in creating this thread.

balazsszekely

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 09:25:06 am »
@Leledumbo
Well then, congratulations. But why are you still here?
Attention whore?  :D

Attention whore - definition
A person who craves attention to such an extent that they will do anything to receive it.
The type of attention (negative or positive) does not matter.

munair

• compiler developer @SharpBASIC
    • SharpBASIC
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 09:49:01 am »
I don't know what you are talking about (except that Debian lags big time) because when you install the latest stable Debian you can install a rather proper Lazarus and FPC.
Where does Debian lag? Except for its more conservative nature
You gave the answer yourself.... I exclusively use Debian or Debian derivatives, unless I am instructed to do otherwise.
But I am a pro and can see that beginners or amateurs are not always up to the extra work to have a more current Lazarus/FPC.
They read about features that may not be in the Debian distro.... That's all.
I Actually like the conservative approach of Debian, but that can be misleading in the context of this forum and the online documentation
I agree. It's the one thing that Linux developers are doing against themselves, or against Linux, not just Debian. Every change (including incompatible) is released immediately (the kernel in particular) and because of the immediate availability, people believe they need to update/upgrade to have the latest cutting-edge. This is a mistake and it works against Linux, which is why I believe it never became a prominent desktop OS. I said it for years. If a new Debian comes out, the kernel itself is already considered 'old' being three subversions behind. Still, it doesn't mean that it lacks and it raises the question what is more preferable: a stable system or having the very latest.

A couple of months ago I tried openSUSE Tumbleweed for exactly this reason. It is the most up-to-date rolling release distro and in fact it worked quite well and pretty stable. Unfortunately, the package maintainers don't seem too eager to update Lazarus still being at version 1.6.2. But if one wants to compile the latest Lazarus and FPC, openSUSE Tumbleweed may be a better choice, but I have no experience there.

In any case, knowing that Linux requires more know-how to work with and cannot be compared to Windows or OSX in this respect, I don't understand the negative nature of this thread. Linux is much more a do-it-yourself system. So why bother installing it let alone using it as a development platform. It's either for professionals or professional hobbyists who know how to fix and (re)compile things if necessary.

Maybe the title of this thread should have been "Newbies Impression of Lazarus on Linux)."   :-*
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:00:42 am by Munair »
keep it simple

munair

• SharpBASIC
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 09:55:09 am »

But it isn't the RAD environment you prefer right? Lazarus works great out of the box. I never had any problems installing or using it developing great software, not on Windows and not on Linux (no OSX experience here).

Either install from Debian's stable repo, or insist on the latest version and take your time. If you know how to use python and Qt Designer you probably aren't a newbie and know your way around in the world of software development. Regarding Lazarus, almost any problem is addressed somewhere on the internet.
keep it simple

munair

• SharpBASIC
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2017, 10:05:59 am »

It should be noted that distros based on Debian Testing (like Ubuntu or Mint) may cause problems, often dependency related. In fact, I did try those distros and they weren't as stable as Debian in the long run. Most common problem was broken dependencies. But even there your "struggle for days" sounds exaggerated.

it is not exaggerated. I installed Laz via synaptic many many times e.g. on various debian derivates and I don't remember even one time where I obtained a workable install.

I always got into "units not found" errors and such or IDE won't recompile etc..

fpcup-deluxe works, but breaks if you install fp and Laz separartely. That is not ideal at all.
That quote wasn't from marcov. How did you manage to switch?
keep it simple

mai

• truther
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2017, 10:34:52 am »
That quote wasn't from marcov. How did you manage to switch?

switch what?

munair

• SharpBASIC
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 10:42:44 am »
You want me to spell it out for you?  8-)
keep it simple

mai

• truther
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 10:50:38 am »
keep mumbling cryptically... not sure whether u have anything to say at all

molly

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2017, 11:03:11 am »
keep mumbling cryptically... not sure whether u have anything to say at all
I spell it out for you then. The quote made is not from marcov rather from eugene (if not mistaken).

So the question was:how did you manage to switch that. o .... wait  :)

munair

• SharpBASIC
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2017, 11:08:50 am »
No, he quoted from me, but magically it said "Quote from marcov." Well, I guess it's pointless...
keep it simple

molly

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 11:20:58 am »
@Munair:
Also the quote from marcov is pointing to some other quote (but that might be due marcov changed his content). Sorry in case i missed that it was originally written by you.

Point: you can manipulate that to your likings, whether it be intentional or not (tiny screens on phones often cause havoc when quoting and a mistake is made without noticing).

mai

• truther
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 11:38:23 am »
we're getting off-topic a lil bit

munair

• SharpBASIC
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 11:56:20 am »
we're getting off-topic a lil bit
Addressing misquotes within the thread isn't off-topic. If you're as accurate with coding/compiling as with adjusting quotes in your replies, I perfectly understand why you're having so many problems.

Again, advices were given, but you don't seem to follow them. It is making this thread rather useless waiting for it to be locked.
keep it simple

mai

• truther
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2017, 11:58:20 am »
I did run debian stable and also installed Laz there. I don't remember it being significantly less problematic.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018