Recent

Author Topic: Editor/ide wanted  (Read 14991 times)

jack616

Editor/ide wanted
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:07:59 pm »
I'm looking for an editor/basic IDE  I can use to build an IDE for a programming language
on.

Full lazarus compatibility with source will be required as this will need further development
to do what I need.  Therefore the cleaner it is to use/develop the better.
Only components/ojects that will continue to be included with lazarus default instalations
must be used. (ie. must compile from scratch using a virgin lazarus installation)
If an editor also has general purpose IDE functions already that would be a bonus.
Compilation is for win7-64

any suggestions -?

TIA

tudi_x

Re: Editor/ide wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:32:50 pm »
https://github.com/BBasile/Coedit

from http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Application_Gallery :

Coedit is a small, open-source, cross-platform IDE for the D language. It features:

full featured project format and advanced project editor.
    compile and run directly from the UI.
    instant run (without saving, script-like).
    synchronized edition in a block.
    D2 syntax highlighter, folding, identifier markup.
    module symbol list.
    static libraries manager.
    search and replace.
    user-defined tools powered by a string interpolation system.
    D Completion Daemon integration for completion proposal and source code hints.
    mini file browser.
Lazarus 2.0.2 64b on Debian LXDE 10

jack616

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 04:52:16 pm »
Thanks tudi - taking a look now.

Anymore welcome.

jack616

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 06:03:29 pm »
Sadly coedit doesnt build out of the zip.
TcestringHel[per issues. in ce_common

Edson

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »
SynFacilUtils https://github.com/t-edson/SynFacilUtils is a library based on SynFacilSyn https://github.com/t-edson/SynFacilSyn and SynFacilCompletion https://github.com/t-edson/SynFacilCompletion, useful to build editors/IDE using the SynEdit component.

It has been used to develop the IDE of the compiler PicPas https://github.com/t-edson/PicPas, that includes code highlighters, code folding, autocompletion, and code tools.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:46:11 pm by Edson »
Lazarus 2.2.6 - FPC 3.2.2 - x86_64-win64 on Windows 10

jack616

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:03:11 pm »
thanks Edson - I'm taking a closer look at the libraries later tonight.

I did take a look at PicPas  - a cute start.
One of the demos needs a quick bug fix though -
Test2_Byte2.pas needs another "end;" before the final "end."
I havn't looked further though (I'm only interested in functionality ATT)

Still looking if anyone has more ideas.

TIA

Edson

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:03:15 pm »
One of the demos needs a quick bug fix though -
Test2_Byte2.pas needs another "end;" before the final "end."

Strange. I have tested and it compiles OK. Maybe you are confused because PicPas uses the Modula-2 syntax for structures instead of the classical Pascal.
Lazarus 2.2.6 - FPC 3.2.2 - x86_64-win64 on Windows 10

jack616

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 11:39:18 pm »
Hi Edson

No there was a missing end;  in the file.
perhaps you updated it locally and it didn't get into the zip.
I added it when the compiler bugged out (it was easy to see) and it then
compiled fine.
This was version 0.7.7

I see you now have an 0.7.8 -  its a nice project I'm glad you're still working on it.
I've just upgraded lazarus to the latest release candidate and it's telling me there's a missing
 SynFacilHighlighter -

I don't know if that's me - I havn't had time to do much with it yet but I need to move on anyway
so thanks for your time.

jack616

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 11:44:07 pm »
fyi tudi_x

The compiler issue I had seems to have been fpc 3.0.0
I upgraded to the latest lazarus Rc with 3.0.4 and that compiles it but
the .exe doesn't run. It just exits silently.

Adding debugging to the project bugs it out and then it fails to compile.
eg. invalid parent object errors

If anyone has any other editor ideas they're still more than welcome.

TIA

guest58172

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 12:15:54 pm »
Sadly coedit doesnt build out of the zip.
TcestringHel[per issues. in ce_common
You need Lazarus 1.6.4 and FPC 3.0.2. I build the binaries for win32, linux amd64 and linux i386 so i would be aware of such a problem. Lazarus 1.8 is not supported at all.
Also instead of using the zip, clone it:   

Code: Bash  [Select][+][-]
  1. git clone https://github.com/BBasile/Coedit.git && git submodule update --init --recursive
  2. cd Coedit/lazproj/
  3. lazbuild -B coedit.lpi

___

Note that i don't think it's very extensible, it's really dedicated to the Dlang. I've also started my own  programming language and i don't know if i'll use it as a base when i'll need (if ever) a dedicated editor.

jack616

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 12:48:44 pm »
Thanks BB...
I can't use it anyway due to the unusual programming methods and lack of docs - it looks really
good at what it does (based on the screen shot and a scan of the code) . I only commented to try and help.

This thread is a really good example of how the Delphi object model was born - stiffled and now vegitates.
We should be able to drag and drop WP templates, spreadsheet templates, and all sort of skeleton applications   by now.
(Not just buttons and spinners)

Perhaps there's a market out there for someone.

I can spend another couple of days looking then I'll be forced to start from scratch. I was hoping to not have
to build tools to build the tools I'm building.
 So much for progress.

Wosi

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 01:11:26 pm »
I'm looking for an editor/basic IDE  I can use to build an IDE for a programming language
on.

I doubt it's a good idea to build an entire IDE on your own - especially in 2017. There are so many great and extensible IDEs these days. Why do you want to waste your time with upcoming bugs and feature requests like "Search all files doesn't work wih regular expressions" or "Files with chinese characters don't show up properly"? There are tons of features users need to have implemented before they consider an IDE as good.
If you want to create a programming language you might want to focus on the important: A compiler/interpreter, syntax highlighter and good language support in the editor like code completion and quick fixes. For great language support you can implement a language server based on the language server protocol that can be easily plugged into existing language server clients such as Visual Studio or Eclipse on the IDE side and Visual Studio Code, Atom or emacs on the text editor side.
Good IDEs and text editors are the result of an at least medium sized team spending tons of days on the product. You can profit from their work.

guest58172

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 01:13:44 pm »
Thanks BB...
I can't use it anyway due to the unusual programming methods and lack of docs - it looks really
good at what it does (based on the screen shot and a scan of the code) . I only commented to try and help.

There's nothing unsual.

The program is based on the Observer pattern. (ce_interfaces.pas). A "super-entity" is responsible for plug-in the observers to their subjects (ce_observer.pas) so that entities does not have to know themselves. This part is well documented. The other parts of the software are either implementations of observers, subjects or services and are rather very standard Object Pascal (TComponent, TCollection, TIControls, object streaming for the options). T(Async)Process + I/O streams are obvioulsy much used to communicate with the tools and compilers.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 01:41:12 pm »
on.

I doubt it's a good idea to build an entire IDE on your own - especially in 2017. There are so many great and extensible IDEs these days. Why do you want to waste your time with upcoming bugs and feature requests like "Search all files doesn't work wih regular expressions" or "Files with chinese characters don't show up properly"? There are tons of features users need to have implemented before they consider an IDE as good.

Well I think that is why he chose Free Pascal/Lazarus, since obviously there is a lot source for that.

jack616

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 04:52:14 pm »
As marcov says - lazarus/fpc is my environment of choice for general purpose
programming. The vast majority of complications such as language have or
are being resolved - that's why it's so good.  I just wish people would learn to document.

It gets very frustrating to have to keep re-inventing the wheel
(I consider a basic IDE a wheel these days)
Having to build new tools because no general purpose ones that can be
easily adapted is a great waste of time.  Perhaps I should offer a bounty.

And wosi - you may wish to ask questions before advising strangers
on what they are doing. I am not (for example) doing anything on any hardware
you have ever heard of which makes all of your comments redundant.
But its good you took the time to try and help so thanks anyway.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018