Recent

Author Topic: Avoid Delphi and use Free Pascal + Lazarus IDE, unless…  (Read 41964 times)

coradi

Re: Avoid Delphi and use Free Pascal + Lazarus IDE, unless…
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:07 pm »
yes. I think so too!!
Pascal need to run much better on STM Devices like STM32 for embedet programmng and vor  Android Phones!!!
Clearly IPhone too..but..hey...I think STM32 and Android will be ebnough for beginning..and less work...
Or STM32 and IOS and no Android?!...
Maybe with this, there is a little chance for  comeback for Pascal.
But the most only uses mobile devices only
Amstrad Schneider CPC 6128
AVR8/ARM(STM32)

sam707

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 09:42:57 pm »
due to mobile apps market (but not only), it is maybe time for laz/fpc to grow its own wings and extend them with its own philosophy:

I installed Delphi XE2 (architect) and i noticed inside it, parts of fpk source code for iOS and android. That brought me a little reflexion. If the 'template" (delphi') of lazarus took its cousin (lazarus) as template 2 years ago, there is a sort of "snake biting its tail' concept precluding any noticeable evolution in language and features!

That is also why on a preceding comment here I did write about "crap'n'shit delphi philo" deserving scorn ... and

"If Lazarus is stuck at Expensive crap compatibility, it's ok, if it is not stuck and invent new extensions, it is also ok,"

an excellent "follower" can become the Leader (that is the teacher/student Hope)

say "hi" to @molly, in the hope there's no food attack against vegetarians eating snakes HAHAHAHAH
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:11:13 pm by sam707 »

sam707

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 09:50:53 pm »
to me Laz is like a kid riding a bicycle...

"look dad! I CAN! dont release your hand! dont leave me alone!"

spectators around can see the father, 30 meters behind, with no more helping hand on the bicycle  :D :P

it's in the head of the kid HAHAHAHAHA call him Lazarus, and father as Delphi, inspiring
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:57:08 pm by sam707 »

sam707

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 09:59:48 pm »
no worry, as I did notice delphi took parts of fpk sources, I uninstalled it... 4 months after some trials. It was a christmas gift from my gurl (i mean my chick who is my wife, and my sky)

attack attack attack combo combo! game over! HAHAHAHAH
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:09:40 pm by sam707 »

Phil

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2017, 10:51:20 pm »
Maybe with this, there is a little chance for  comeback for Pascal.

I don't see much chance of that happening, but there is a solution that's been available for quite a while that allows you to preserve much of your Pascal code and skills, and that's to put your non-UI, non-LCL code into a dynamic library and create a header file for it (.h). This library can then be compiled for and used on just about any platform and called from just about any other language. Details and examples here:

https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/PascalDynLibs.html

It does mean that you'll need to learn other tools, other languages, but that's what programmers do now. For example, on iOS you might write the UI in Swift and develop in Xcode. On Android, you would probably write the UI in Java and develop in Android Studio. Both apps would use a dynamic library that was built from a lot of common Pascal code. You could also use the same dynamic library on the server that powers a Web app or provides services to your mobile apps.

I don't see any alternative to becoming familiar with the software and tools that the rest of the world uses and develops. We need at least to be conversant with them. For example, look at these various Web sites and what they're looking for:

https://www.crema.us/digital-consulting#growth-strategy  (scroll down just a bit to see their "Tech Stack")

https://www.mapbox.com/jobs/849422/

https://jobs.lever.co/descarteslabs.com/55bcc68b-f7ba-448f-bb02-033537547b33

The trend is pretty obvious and has been for some time.

Remy Lebeau

• Lebeau Software
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2017, 03:51:35 am »
I installed Delphi XE2 (architect) and i noticed inside it, parts of fpk source code for iOS and android. That brought me a little reflexion. If the 'template" (delphi') of lazarus took its cousin (lazarus) as template 2 years ago, there is a sort of "snake biting its tail' concept precluding any noticeable evolution in language and features!

When Delphi was first starting to support cross-platform compiling (after the Kylix days), it actually *used* FreePascal to compile for non-Windows platforms, before it had its own platform compilers.
Remy Lebeau
Lebeau Software - Owner, Developer
Internet Direct (Indy) - Admin, Developer (Support forum)

sam707

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2017, 11:30:45 pm »

before it had its own platform compilers.

that will NEVER happen, due to snake tail's bites, evolution's precluding i mentioned, stagnant market (due to crap'n shit philo from Delphi i also mentioned), and DAMN different bussiness models.
plus the fact that some scientists, turn around "Component Pascal" that is pascalish but no more "Pascal" compat, for their Hobby
http://www.zinnamturm.eu
... and if you know Pascal , it is very very easy to learn Component Pascal
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:46:21 pm by sam707 »

sam707

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2017, 12:08:51 am »
actually at universities around me that I know in Europa, you have 3 choices on computer "deep systems" sciences tutorial's works, and learning curve

by order =
1) OCaml language (prefered)
2) C++/C# (large use)
3) Oberon/F - Component Pascal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCaml
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:16:36 am by sam707 »

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2017, 01:10:32 am »
Unless –of course– if you don't mind to spend some great amount of your (company) money, you may use Delphi happily.
I outright refuse to use any "ransom ware". You can't buy Delphi any more, you can only rent it.  Just imagine... Your run your own one-man business. One year is a lot tougher than the previous, so your income is very low. Your Delphi subscription runs out, you don't have the money to renew - POOF, your development tools stop working. Until you pay the ransom, then magically it starts working again. That's definitely not how I want to run my business.

I outright refuse to use ANY such software. Just imagine EMBT goes out of business - what happens then to all the Delphi subscriptions and all the software that can't be developed further.

Oh… and please stop praising Delphi as the best tool ever. It's non-sense. Well, it used to be, but it's no longer now. Today there are many dev tools out there that are as good as Delphi or even better.
Hell, Lazarus IDE is much better than Delphi IDE these days. Delphi IDE is so buggy and tons of things almost work, but never really get fixed. I recently did a contracting job and had to use Delphi again. In the first week I found so many bugs and reported all of them. They were confirmed by the community and most bugs have been in Delphi IDE for over 6 years - and still not fixed. EMBT doesn't care. They get their monthly subscription fees if they do work or not.

And no, Delphi is by far not the best IDE out there. Eclipse is brilliant and decades ahead of Delphi, Intellij IDEA is unbelievable!!! [both used for Java development] But unfortunately I can't get the full enjoyment of Intellij IDEA because they also switched to the "ransom ware" subscription model since 2015 (for the commercial version that has slightly more features). Though their Community Edition should be sufficient for most developers I guess. Out of principal, I stay with Eclipse because it is very very good (plus free and open source) - and has some features I like more than what I've seen in IDEA.

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

sam707

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2017, 04:18:27 am »
Big thank you @Graeme!
SMH
I agree 300% with you.
oh, by the way, I forgot to mention haskell at universities around me... but ok, in continental Europa, OCaml is much more used... you know, englush (no attack either) people have a gift to run the wrong lefthandled side of the road LMAO  :P  :D

However, pardon me to not have referenced haskell compiler hehehe
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:21:19 am by sam707 »

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2017, 10:31:16 am »
OCAML is only suitable if you know what an ordinateur is, besides from probably needing azerty keyboards. Which will fuck you up and gets you angry. Just my 2 cents  8-)
Specialize a type, not a var.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2017, 11:15:16 am »
And the thread is silly again -> locked.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018