Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Two DBGrids showing the same content  (Read 11509 times)

Gizmo

Re: Two DBGrids showing the same content
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 11:23:17 am »
Gents

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I've added the dbases_sqlite.lrs file to the v3branch repository. So if you git pull, it should work hopefully. (It works OK on my system)

Re the LPI file...You should be able to open the project by double clicking the "project1.lpr" file, and then an LPI file will be saved when you save the project in your environment. I seem to think I excluded LPI files because aren't they customised on a per user basis, whereas LPR file is a global project file?

The lazdbexport package, along with several others, is added as a dependancy already. See screenshot. Or am I mis-understanding?

Re the forms and F12. If I have the main unit file tab open and I press F12, I get the main form. If I then hyperclick the appropriate other units, like uDisplayGrid etc, and press F12, I get that form as well. I thought that is how Lazarus works but are you saying there's a way to make them all available with a single press of F12?

Why are there {$I xxxxx.lrs} lines?
I don't know...the project was originally started in 2011 when I had even less of an idea of what I was doing than now! So I really don't know, but it was started with a version of Lazarus from 2011.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:30:11 am by Gizmo »

taazz

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 11:44:04 am »
Yes, that worked. I removed ALL the .lrs includes and replaced them with the {$R under implementation.
yes this is one of the clean ups that needs to be done. But I'm going to leave it so  gizmo can do it as a learning experience.
Why are there {$I xxxxx.lrs} lines?
Did a very old version of Lazarus once work that way?
Yes there was a time where resource files where not supported in linux/macos and other *nix OS, only windows has native support for them, lazarus used its own resource management as you might notice the files are loaded on the units initialization section from the exe not when the form is instantiated. Then the FPC team build their own resource compiler that gave them the ability to use them in all supported OSes and the lrs file was phased out, some old application might still use them mostly as a consequence of a "if it is not broken don't fix it" attitude.
I also noticed all the forms are not included in the Project Manager. So I can't switch to them easily with Ctrl+F12.
yeah that is a bit of a problem but it only has a hand full of forms so not a big deal.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

rvk

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 12:06:53 pm »
Your RecursiveDisplayGrid1 is connected to frmSQLiteDBases.DataSource1.

In TfrmSQLiteDBases.UpdateGridFILES() you update SQLQuery1 to hold TBL_FILES.
That is all correct.

But... then in TfrmSQLiteDBases.UpdateGridCOPYTAB() you do this:
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. procedure TfrmSQLiteDBases.UpdateGridCOPYTAB(Sender: TObject);
  2.   begin
  3.     try
  4.     SQLQuery1.Close;
  5.     SQLQuery1.SQL.Text := 'SELECT * FROM TBL_COPY';
  6.     SQLite3Connection1.Connected := True;
  7.     SQLTransaction1.Active := True;
  8.     SQLQuery1.Open;
  10.     // Allow the DBGrid to view the results of our query
  11.     DataSource1.DataSet := SQLQuery1;
So you are closing SQLQuery1, assigning a new query and opening it again (which is still connected to DataSource1).

In this post:
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,38416.msg260854.html#msg260854
you are working with DataSource2 for UpdateGridCOPYTAB().
Where is that code???

That is the reason your GridFILES suddenly hold the copy files.
You are still using one datasource and one sqlquery.

Gizmo

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 12:19:16 pm »
RVK

Thanks for looking.

Reply 11 :
Bear in mind that when I said above "I have two data sources and two sql queries " etc, the additions are not in that git repository. That said, even with the additions on my local working folder the behaviour is still the same. I mention it just so you don't go looking for two instances and thinking "he said he has two but he only has one". The point is that the version in git behaves the same way as my local non git committed version. I was just trying something out after studying your example and decided to just try and separate it but the problem persist

So even if I had a secondary SQLQuery and DataSource and use those for the second display grid (UpdateGridCOPYTAB) I still have the same problem. Because I also assumed that was the problem initially, which is why I tried adding them. But when I realised they didn't work (because it seems to wipe out the data in the first DBGrid), I didn't bother pushing it up to the Git branch.

So what I'm saying is if you do :

1. procedure TfrmSQLiteDBases.UpdateGridCOPYTAB(Sender: TObject);
  2.   begin
  3.     try
  4.     SQLQuery2.Close;
  5.     SQLQuery2.SQL.Text := 'SELECT * FROM TBL_COPY';
  6.     SQLite3Connection1.Connected := True;
  7.     SQLTransaction1.Active := True;
  8.     SQLQuery2.Open;
  10.     // Allow the DBGrid to view the results of our query
  11.     DataSource2.DataSet := SQLQuery2;
  12.     frmDisplayGrid1.RecursiveDisplayGrid_COPY.DataSource := DataSource2;
  13.     frmDisplayGrid1.RecursiveDisplayGrid_COPY.AutoFillColumns := true;
  14.     except
  15.     on E: EDatabaseError do
  16.     begin
  17.       MessageDlg('Error','A database error has occurred. Technical error message: ' + E.Message,mtError,[mbOK],0);
  18.     end;
  19.   end;
  20. end;      

it then wipes out the data from the first grid in FileS tab. What I need is for the results shown in Grid1 to remain there if the user goes off to other tabs and computes other values that show in other Grids. So DBGrid1 storing DataA and DBGrid2 storing DataB and so on. 

Yes, that worked. I removed ALL the .lrs includes and replaced them with the {$R under implementation.

yes this is one of the clean ups that needs to be done. But I'm going to leave it so  gizmo can do it as a learning experience.

Done :-)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:36:45 pm by Gizmo »

rvk

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 12:49:33 pm »
So even if I had a secondary SQLQuery and DataSource and use those for the second display grid (UpdateGridCOPYTAB) I still have the same problem. Because I also assumed that was the problem initially, which is why I tried adding them. But when I realised they didn't work (because it seems to wipe out the data in the first DBGrid),
The problem is not the same anymore. You first problem was that the content was the same.

Now the problem is that when you go back to FileS, your grid is empty (like you say). That's probably due to the fact you close SQLQuery1 somewhere or close/end the transaction (which automatically closes the query).

The reason for that is the following:
You have this in TMainForm.Button8CopyAndHashClick.
  1. frmSQLiteDBases.EmptyDBTable('TBL_COPY', frmDisplayGrid1.RecursiveDisplayGrid_COPY);
But in TfrmSQLiteDBases.EmptyDBTable() you use SQLQuery1 to empty out TBL_COPY.
So you close the query for the FileS grid.

You should create a dynamic SQLQuery in EmptyDBTable() which you use.
Don't reuse SQLQuery1 or SQLQuery2.

The EmptyDBTable could look like this (although I don't like using SQLQuery1 to take the database but you can change that):
  1. procedure TfrmSQLiteDBases.EmptyDBTable(TableName : string; DBGridName : TDBGrid);
  2. var
  3.   MyQuery: TSQLQuery;
  4. begin
  5.   MyQuery := TSQLQuery.Create(nil);
  6.   try
  7.     try
  8.       MyQuery.DataBase := SQLQuery1.Database;
  9.       MyQuery.Transaction := SQLQuery1.Transaction;
  10.       MyQuery.SQL.Text := 'DELETE FROM ' + TableName;
  11.       if SQLite3Connection1.Connected then
  12.       begin
  13.         SQLTransaction1.Active := True;
  14.         MyQuery.ExecSQL;
  15.         SQLTransaction1.CommitRetaining; // Retain transaction is important here
  16.       end;
  17.     except
  18.       on E: EDatabaseError do
  19.       begin
  20.         MessageDlg('Error','A database error has occurred. Technical error message: ' + E.Message,mtError,[mbOK],0);
  21.       end;
  22.     end;
  23.   finally
  24.     MyQuery.Free;
  25.   end;
  26. end;

Then another problem.
You have this EVERYWHERE in dbases_sqlite.pas:
  1. procedure TfrmSQLiteDBases.SortByHash(DataSource : TDBGrid);
  2. begin
  3.  try
  4.   SQLQuery1.Close;
  5.   SQLQuery1.SQL.Text := 'SELECT Id, Filename, FilePath, HashValue, FileSize ' +
So you CLOSE SQLQuery in almost every function.

I'm sure you call one of those functions that close SQLQuery1 when you do the copy-action.

rvk

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 01:41:05 pm »
Ok, I traced it a little further and got it working.

Besides the fact you need to use SQLQuery2 and DataSource2 in UpdateGridCOPYTAB() you also needed to use a separate TSQLQuery in EmptyTable like I already showed you.

After that... you have a call to frmSQLiteDBases.WriteCOPYValuesToDatabase in your ProcessDir().
In there you have the SQLQuery1.Close which I mentioned.
It should be SQLQuery2.

Even if you fix that it still doesn't work.
You have this:
  1. frmSQLiteDBases.SQLTransaction1.Commit;
  2. frmSQLiteDBases.UpdateGridCOPYTAB(nil);
But if you commit a transaction, ALL tables connected to that transaction will be closed automatically.
You need to do a CommitRetaining. In that case the connected tables stay open.
So
  1. frmSQLiteDBases.SQLTransaction1.CommitRetaining;
  2. frmSQLiteDBases.UpdateGridCOPYTAB(nil);
but also in CommitCount(); you should use CommitRetaining.
and everywhere you have Commit; you need to change it to CommitRetaining.

There is an option for TSQLQuery in trunk, sqoKeepOpenOnCommit but I've never used that.
I'm also not sure from what version it is available.

You should still go through all the functions in dbases_sqlite and fix the SQLQuery1.Close because there are a lot that are wrong in that place.

For some functions you pass a DBGrid. Like
  1. SortBySourceFilename(DataSource : TDBGrid);
Besides the fact it should be DBGrid: TDBGrid or DataSource: TDatasource you don't use that paramter.
But if you use DBGrid.Datasource.Dataset instead of SQLQuery1, you can make the function a lot cleaner.

Actually the whole dbases_sqlite shouldn't contain any SQLQuery1 text.
You create all the TSQLQuerys and TDatasources you need and connect it designtime to the correct DBGrid.
After that you can pass the TDBGrid to all those functions and you can use the TDBGrid.Datasource.Dataset to open/close etc.

(I hope I explain this clearly.)

Gizmo

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 02:15:33 pm »
Thankyou RVK! It seems CommitRetaining was the key!!

I have made most of your suggestions, but I did them one at a time. I'd already adjusted the DeleteTable procedure (because it's better anyway regardless of whether it fixed the problem) but found I still expereinced the same behaviour. But as soon as I replaced all the commit lines to commitretaining as you suggested, it worked as intended.

I'll have to read up more on that - all the demo's show using commit so I'd never heard of commitretaining.

And I realise the code is poorly written. I'm scrambling around in new territory really so still finding my feet. I will try to improve it as you also suggest.

The only thing that has confused me is this : if I remove all the SQLQuery1.Close statements, none of my right click options work. For example, sort by filename, sort by path etc. The grid just stays as it is displayed originally. Yet if I put them back in, they all work again. So I'm confused by that. But I guess I need to read up more on it or its an issue for another thread. As you say, the original question is now answered...thank you.

SOLVED!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:19:06 pm by Gizmo »

rvk

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 02:23:26 pm »
I'll have to read up more on that - all the demo's show using commit so I'd never heard of commitretaining.
In most demos the dataset can be closed after committing to the database. So a commit is sufficient.
In your case the dataset needs to be kept open. And because a commit also closes the dataset you need CommitRetaining (or sqoKeepOpenOnCommit option).

https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/3.0.0/fcl/sqldb/tsqltransaction.commitretaining.html
CommitRetaining commits an active transaction. The changes will be irreversably written to the database.
After this, the transaction is still active. To commit data and deactivate the transaction, execute Commit instead.

Glad it's solved and you can explore the wonders of databases further  :D

rvk

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 02:31:36 pm »
The only thing that has confused me is this : if I remove all the SQLQuery1.Close statements, none of my right click options work. For example, sort by filename, sort by path etc. The grid just stays as it is displayed originally. Yet if I put them back in, they all work again. So I'm confused by that. But I guess I need to read up more on it or its an issue for another thread.
You have this in the popup menu:
  1. procedure TMainForm.MenuItem_SortByFilenameClick(Sender: TObject);
  2. begin
  3.   RecursiveDisplayGrid1.Clear;
  4.   frmSQLiteDBases.SortByFilename(RecursiveDisplayGrid1);
  5. end;
So you already pass the RecursiveDisplayGrid1 TDBGrid to the SortByFilename() function.

But if I look at your SortByFilename() it DOESN'T use that parameter at all.
First of all you need to fix the parameter name. It's not Datasource but DBGrid.

Then you can use something like this:
So you don't use SQLQuery but you use the dataset that's connected to the passed DBGrid.
  1. // Used by the FILES tab to sort entries by filename alphabetically
  2. procedure TfrmSQLiteDBases.SortByFileName(DBGrid : TDBGrid);
  3. begin
  4.   try
  5.     DBGrid.DataSource.Dataset.Close; // <--- see what I did here, you don't use SQLQuery1 but the query connected to the grid
  6.     TSQLQuery(DBGrid.DataSource.Dataset).SQL.Text := 'SELECT Id, Filename, FilePath, HashValue, FileSize ' +
  7.                           'FROM TBL_FILES ORDER BY FileName';
  8.     SQLite3Connection1.Connected := True;
  9.     SQLTransaction1.Active := True;
  10.     DBGrid.DataSource.Dataset.Open;
  12.     // There is NO need to connect the query again to the DBGrid because it's already connected
  14.     // Allow the DBGrid to view the results of our query
  15.     // DataSource1.DataSet := SQLQuery1;
  16.     // MainForm.RecursiveDisplayGrid1.DataSource := DataSource1;
  17.     // MainForm.RecursiveDisplayGrid1.AutoFillColumns := true;
  19.       DBGrid.AutoFillColumns := true; // maybe this one
  21.     except
  22.       on E: EDatabaseError do
  23.       begin
  24.         MessageDlg('Error','A database error has occurred. Technical error message: ' + E.Message,mtError,[mbOK],0);
  25.       end;
  26.     end;
  27. end;

You can change all those function NOT to use SQLQuery1 but the connected DBGrid.Datasource.Dataset.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:34:30 pm by rvk »

Gizmo

Re: [SOLVED] Two DBGrids showing the same content
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 06:25:04 pm »
RVK

Great stuff...thanks once again for all your input and effort. Don't think I'd have ever resolved that without you and Taaz.

I've made the suggested changes - I'm starting to understand better how it all links now I think. All of my routines now mostly just use DBGrid as the property and it all works much better now, and is easier to follow. I've committed my latest changes to Git in case you are interested. 

rvk

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 12:37:50 pm »
I've checked out the new version real quick. I have some remarks (which you may consider or not). These are just some observations and suggestions.

*) In project options > Compiler options > "Config and Target" the "Win32 gui app" isn't checked. This will result ALWAYS in a black screen behind the gui. If you check it, that black screen doesn't appear on Windows.

*) The lazdbexport is still not in dependencies. Maybe you didn't update the complete github-project yet.

*) The .pas files are also still not in the project manager (but again, maybe nog updated yet).

*) While adding the .pas files, I also noticed that you didn't use a consistent naming convention for the unit-names. For example you did use frmXXXX.pas for frmaboutunit.pas but used uprogress.pas for the progress form and just diskspecification.pas for the frmTechspecs. If you are going to clean your project it might be useful to name them all frmxxx.pas and TfrmXXX as class. A clear naming convention is very useful.

*) Your project is named project1_linux.lpi but your executable is quickhash.exe. It might be more clear to name your project quickhash.lpi too (just do a Project > "Save project as" for this) After that you can remove project1.* and project_linux.*

*) The Copy Results form is always in the middle of my two screens (so half on both screens). You have Position of form frmDisplayGrid1 set at poDesktopCenter. I can tel you... NEVER EVER USE poDesktopCenter !! On a two display system this is very annoying. Use poScreenCenter or some other value.

*) Make all the DBGrids have dgRowSelect in the options. It's more intuitive to have the complete row selected instead of just one cell.

*) The grid for RecursiveDisplayGrid1 has a very large width for ID. You might want to use a procedure which resizes all the columns to a more appropriate width. Now sometimes FilePath doesn't even fit while ID is very wide. You did use AutoFillColumns := true; but maybe dgAutoSizeColumns is a better choice (see screenshot and code below).

*) I would change the order of fields for RecursiveDisplayGrid1. FilePath isn't really useful here because path is already at the top there. When you move filesize and hashvalue before filename it's more clear too. See attached screenshot.

1. SQLQuery1.SQL.Text := 'SELECT id, filesize, hashvalue, filename FROM TBL_FILES';
(that should be changed inUpdateGridFILES() as well as SortByFileName etc then too)

*) To get dgAutoSizeColumns you can't use AutoFillColumns anymore so it's a trade off.

1. // FILES tab update grid routine
  2. procedure TfrmSQLiteDBases.UpdateGridFILES(Sender: TObject);
  3. begin
  4.   try
  5.     SQLQuery1.Close;
  6.     SQLQuery1.SQL.Text := 'SELECT id, filesize, hashvalue, filename FROM TBL_FILES';
  7.     SQLite3Connection1.Connected := True;
  8.     SQLTransaction1.Active := True;
  10.     MainForm.RecursiveDisplayGrid1.Options := MainForm.RecursiveDisplayGrid1.Options + [dgAutoSizeColumns];
  12.     SQLQuery1.Open;
  14.     // Allow the DBGrid to view the results of our query
  15.     // DataSource1.DataSet := SQLQuery1;                        // <--- no need, done in designtime
  16.     // MainForm.RecursiveDisplayGrid1.DataSource := DataSource1;// <--- no need, done in designtime
  17.     // MainForm.RecursiveDisplayGrid1.AutoFillColumns := true;  // <--- no need, done in designtime
  19.   except
  20.     on E: EDatabaseError do
  21.     begin
  22.       MessageDlg('Error','A database error has occurred. Technical error message: ' + E.Message,mtError,[mbOK],0);
  23.     end;
  24.   end;
  25. end;

*) There is no need to set DataSource1.DataSet and MainForm.RecursiveDisplayGrid1.DataSource anymore because the are already set in designtime and they should never change during the program. You can remove those line from UpdateGridCOPYTAB too.

*) Rename SQLQuery1, SQLQuery2, DataSource1 and DataSource2 to something more useful so you are clear as to what grid they belong. For example sqlFiles, dsFiles, sqlCopy and dsCopy are more clear. You get something like this:

1. // FILES tab update grid routine
  2. procedure TfrmSQLiteDBases.UpdateGridFILES(Sender: TObject);
  3. begin
  4.   try
  5.     sqlFiles.Close;
  6.     sqlFiles.SQL.Text := 'SELECT id, filesize, hashvalue, filename FROM TBL_FILES';
  7.     SQLite3Connection1.Connected := True;
  8.     SQLTransaction1.Active := True;
  9.     MainForm.RecursiveDisplayGrid1.Options := MainForm.RecursiveDisplayGrid1.Options + [dgAutoSizeColumns];
  10.     sqlFiles.Open;
  11.   except
  12.     on E: EDatabaseError do
  13.     begin
  14.       MessageDlg('Error','A database error has occurred. Technical error message: ' + E.Message,mtError,[mbOK],0);
  15.     end;
  16.   end;
  17. end;
I don't think you even need the SQLite3Connection1.Connected and SQLTransaction1.Active lines because they should already be open but they can't hurt.

That's it for now  8-)

Gizmo

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 09:49:14 am »
Sorry for the delay in replying RVK. It took me a few evenings to progress on a few areas and I attempted to incorporate most of your suggestions.

The only one that caused me a problem and resulted me having to resrot to a backup from the day before was changing the names of the various units and forms. I agree with you; it would be an improvement, but Lazarus kept reporting that I was trying to use "an illegal unit name" (or "an illegal form name", or something...it was a few days ago now). So I gave up on that one. But I think most of your other suggestions have been incorporated.

As for the apparant missing pas files and the lazdbexport not being in the dependancies...that still confuses me. They are there in the git repository and when I load it on my system, they are all listed in the Project Inspector.

Anyway, I very much appreciate your time and expertise in helping me fix the initial problem and for your guidance on project refinement and improvement. I don't work with fellow programmers and very much work solo as a hobby so its useful to have people like you and Taaz and others like Molly in the forums who generously donate their expertise.

taazz

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 10:35:06 am »
Sorry for the delay in replying RVK. It took me a few evenings to progress on a few areas and I attempted to incorporate most of your suggestions.

The only one that caused me a problem and resulted me having to resrot to a backup from the day before was changing the names of the various units and forms. I agree with you; it would be an improvement, but Lazarus kept reporting that I was trying to use "an illegal unit name" (or "an illegal form name", or something...it was a few days ago now). So I gave up on that one. But I think most of your other suggestions have been incorporated.
That sounds like you renamed them from outside the IDE ee explorer and you did not change the unit name inside the code. the file name and then unit name must be the same, or better yet open the unit in the IDE and select file\save as and when you are asked to delete the old unit say yes.
As for the apparant missing pas files and the lazdbexport not being in the dependancies...that still confuses me. They are there in the git repository and when I load it on my system, they are all listed in the Project Inspector.
that sounds like you two are looking at different applications. You are opening the application1.lpi and rvk opens the one with the "linux" in its name.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

rvk

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 10:49:00 am »
that sounds like you two are looking at different applications. You are opening the application1.lpi and rvk opens the one with the "linux" in its name.
Wait, there is an application1.lpi %) I only found one .lpi file in https://github.com/tedsmith/quickhash/tree/v3Branch and that was project1_linux.lpi.

Unless application1.lpi isn't uploaded to the branche. That's why all those files need to be cleaned up because there also was a project1.lpr and project1.lrs but no project1.lpi. But there was a project1_linux.lpi but no project1_linux.lpr or project1_linux.lrs. So it was really confusing. I thought you always need to open the .lpi.

That's why I suggested to save the project again as quickhash and Lazarus will create a .lpi, a .lpr etc with that name and you can delete all the project1*.* ones.

Edit: I see that there now is a quickhash.lpi and quickhash.lpr from an hour ago so I guess those are the correct ones. The project1*.* still need to be deleted to prevent confusion.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:50:54 am by rvk »

rvk

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 11:01:51 am »
Not sure if the one on the branche is the really last version but for me it doesn't even run.

You have this in your project:
  1.   Application.CreateForm(TMainForm, MainForm);
  2.   Application.CreateForm(TfrmDisplayGrid1, frmDisplayGrid1);
But in the FormCreate of the mainform you try to set the Width of frmDisplayGrid what isn't created yet (because TMainForm is created first).

So you need to change the order in which the forms are created.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018