Recent

Author Topic: Updating Android tutorials  (Read 3857 times)

Saylo_49

Updating Android tutorials
« on: August 26, 2017, 11:57:45 pm »
Hello Lazarus Heroes

I am very glad to meet a communtiy like you
Excuse-me for this message but this is what I want to tell :

When Lazarus team is going to release the version 1.8 based on FPC 3.0.4
Java JDK is 8u144
Android SDK is higher than 25

So I am suggesting that :

* Android tutorials in the Lazarus Wiki should be updated
* All the short articles where everyones write some little and old tips should be merged in one long, complete and clear tutorial
* And, making a good and bugs-free examples, libraries, packages and components for Android developpement instead of wasting time and ressources on making tiny buggy and useless pieces of software to be hosted later on SourceForge

Because wasting ressources instead of focusing on the developpement of the main software is what make the failling of free and open sourced projects

The succes of projects like Qt, Eclipse and many others is made by making all contributors focus on the developpement of the main product and everyone put its ressources and ideas in that project

I know that everyone here like Pascal and Lazarus as much as I do

But :
Instead of seeing Lazarus getting insulted by Ruby and Python fans who say that Lazarus is useless, low-quality and without future like every free project

We should work on making the succes of Lazarus by improving its quality and enriching its content

And Thanks for everyone
who contribute to the developpement of Lazarus
Lazarus 2.0.2 - FPC 3.0.4 - Win32

Chronos

• PascalClassLibrary
Re: Updating Android tutorials
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:34 pm »
Hello,
I am not lazarus hero, just Pascal and Delphi user, but I can say that many of us needs to create Android apps easily. You may heard that in recent years more accesses to web sites went from mobile devices that from desktop computers. It is just because lot of people have smartphone with internet access. You may ask how many good or any Android applications created in Lazarus/FPC are available in Google Play or Apple Store. It would be probably number close to zero for obvious reasons.

I would say that you shouldn't wait for next Lazarus/FPC release to update tutorial. You can just go through the tutorial and update everything which is obsolete. You can find lots of hints here in the forum.
Android tutorials in the Lazarus Wiki should be updated
For sure. You can work on it.

All the short articles where everyones write some little and old tips should be merged in one long, complete and clear tutorial
No need to merge anything. You can just create new "best in the market" wiki page where all useful information will be presented in clean and simple way. So anyone could start creating Android application immediately.

And, making a good and bugs-free examples, libraries, packages and components for Android developpement instead of wasting time and ressources on making tiny buggy and useless pieces of software to be hosted later on SourceForge
I don't understand that statement. But yes, available resources should be concentrated in common goals efficiently. But Lazarus/FPC is not driven by some company so think is that each developer decides on which part he will work. So no work directions from some manager.

Because wasting ressources instead of focusing on the developpement of the main software is what make the failling of free and open sourced projects
This is too general statement. You can apply same thinking also on commercial software. In FOSS best softwares are either created by single persons or they are somehow driven or originally created by commercial companies. So Lazarus/FPC is like it is and what anybody can do about it is either start own project and prove them that they are doing that work badly or you can help them with some tasks to speed up development. And there is a lots of room for both variants :)

Anyway if you can help Android development for us easier than I would thank you for your effort.

mai

• truther
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 06:17:50 am »
But :
Instead of seeing Lazarus getting insulted by Ruby and Python fans who say that Lazarus is useless, low-quality and without future like every free project

We need to take our critics very seriously. "Group think" and "living in a bubble" can be treacherous!

It is quite possible that others get their act together better. Say Japanese Ruby tries to be user-friendly with some success. Dutch python USB support may be easier than with Pascal? Exactly why is that?

We ought to exercise self-criticism to find possible routes for improvement.

Possible motto: First things first.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:22:29 am by mai »

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 11:19:57 pm »
* Android tutorials in the Lazarus Wiki should be updated
* All the short articles where everyones write some little and old tips should be merged in one long, complete and clear tutorial
* And, making a good and bugs-free examples, libraries, packages and components for Android developpement instead of wasting time and ressources on making tiny buggy and useless pieces of software to be hosted later on SourceForge
Please do, both the wiki and code are open and contributions are welcome, provided that it follows the contribution rule.
However, I don't think by default Android development is possible, one will need either the jvm-android / arm-android cross compiler and choose which path to take: FPC JVM or LAMW (I don't consider other approaches as production ready as these two). It's gotta be tough to cleanup those little articles, plus LAMW is considered 3rd party package so it's not available immediately.

cpicanco

• Behavioral Scientist and Programmer
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 11:38:58 pm »
I think that Castle Game Engine dev is doing a great work. He has some step by step instructions for android and ios.
Be mindful and excellent with each other.
https://github.com/cpicanco/

cpicanco

• Behavioral Scientist and Programmer
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 11:41:48 pm »
However, I don't think by default Android development is possible, one will need either the jvm-android / arm-android cross compiler and choose which path to take: FPC JVM or LAMW (I don't consider other approaches as production ready as these two). It's gotta be tough to cleanup those little articles, plus LAMW is considered 3rd party package so it's not available immediately.

I think the question should be HOW to make Android development by default possible.
Be mindful and excellent with each other.
https://github.com/cpicanco/

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:25:33 am »
I think the question should be HOW to make Android development by default possible.
Somebody has to make a prepackaged version.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018